Better late than never: Android 4.0 ICS arrives for the LG Optimus 2X at long last
0. phoneArena 07 Dec 2012, 07:59 posted on
The v30a firmware can be installed via LG's computer sync program, and allegedly includes the latest Optimus UI 3.0, which you may or may not be fond of, but the Android update is certainly a proof that great things come to those who wait... then wait some more...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Now I can update my lil bro's phone to full ICS roms.
Hell, maybe the camera drivers in this can be used to restore cameras to my LG-Gslate which has been running unnoficial 4.1 for quite some time. Since NVidia is being an ass about releasing drivers to companies (the reason many Nvidia based phones never got the 4.xx updates), they still need most of the blame.
2. Thephonegeek (Posts: 118; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
Once I wanted to buy a Lg Optimus 3D Max. They wanted 480USD. And that didn't and doesn't have ICS update. So, I dropped the Idea.
11. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1343; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
the LG 2X gets a update 2X years after launch
4. peacekeeper05 (Posts: 23; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
LG is not the sole company to blame. A huge factor why it took them this long to update the phone is because of NVIDIA. The tegra 2 SOC I think is very hard to work on. And adding the fact that NVIDIA refused to help the community by letting the manufacturers release the source for their drivers.
10. evil_slayer (Posts: 49; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
then tell me
why optimus 3D users didn't get the official update yet?although the phone using TI OMAP 4
lg is the only one to blame buddy :(
15. sprockkets (Posts: 1160; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
The Moto Xoom with Tegra 2 already runs JB, months ago. Believe me, nvidia WANTS it to suceed.
5. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
LG used to be a "washing machine" company, not surprising though why they did this..
6. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
people, don't wait for the update for your LG devices, custom roms are everywhere and they are much better than LG's home-brewed OS. LG should start hiring freelance developers, especially from XDA.
7. dorianb (Posts: 386; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
And they STILL beat HTC's Thunderbolt & DInc 2!!!
8. longboardluv (Posts: 12; Member since: 21 May 2012)
Thunderbolt doesn't have ICS? holy s**t. I had the g2x and i dropped it back in July got a GS3. That phone had problems.
9. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
LG are the very first in approaching and using latest techs, but then they are very behind updating there OS! Why don't they learn from HTC. SONY and SAMSUNG, also they should merge with Devs to support custom Roms! ™®©
12. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 411; Member since: 04 May 2012)
My phone's official update is still not there -_-
At least I'm already on CM10, and it's already JB :D
13. redmd (Posts: 883; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
iI miss my phone. too bad I replaced it a year ago with the galaxy note 1. it was a decent phone. no issues with official software.
14. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 819; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Wow! Took them long enough. So NVidia is to blame? Such a shame, the Optimus 2X had MANY of us thinking that LG would finally get some time in the lime light early last year as said, it was the 1st multicore Droid, and it all seemed so promising....until the GS2 arrived and absolutely tore every droid at the time apart, here we are over a year later and the S2 is now about to get 4.1.2 while the 2X is only getting 4.0 now, incredible.
This could also explain why the Optimus 4X HD is still stuck on 4.0.4 without much word of 4.1, its also using a Tegra SoC, and it could explain why the One X has taken so long to get a much wider Android4.1 release to, this could be why LG want to start making their own SoCs, taking a note from Apple and Samsung's book, i hope Sony do the same so that they stop releasing phones on older Android versions.
16. molanjames (Posts: 64; Member since: 11 Oct 2012)
They make updates for Motorola phones, not Google. Google can't make updates for every phone in the world. I just hate that when people blame Google when their phone won't get an update.