Best smartphone of MWC 2014: PhoneArena awards
0. phoneArena 28 Feb 2014, 09:19 posted on
MWC 2014 was a tremendously exciting expo, and that's mainly thanks to the impressive flagship smartphones that got announced. We can easily distinguish three top-shelf handsets that undeniably managed to make the biggest bang at the show. Those are the Samsung Galaxy S5, the Sony Xperia Z2 and the LG G Pro 2...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
63. isprobi (Posts: 193; Member since: 30 May 2011)
So plastic fantastic Samsung wins again over beautiful design Sony Z2. Actually none of the new phones really impressed me. So I bought a Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Too bad they skimped on the camera but I understand that they did not want to upstage the Z1.
95. JMartin22 (Posts: 757; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
The GS5 didn't go for pointless spec bolstering, instead, it focused on features, quality and longevity. Sony is merely an unoptimized spec boost really.
108. mokhtar (Posts: 203; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SAMSUNG ARENAAAAAAA
109. mmayer54 (Posts: 11; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
Hilarious!!! S5 wins the Phone Arena MWC award over. MEANWHILE, Phone Arena's own readers (in a VOTE) overwhelmingly DISLIKED it 80% to 20%. And they overwhelmingly LIKED the Sony Z2 (in a Phone Arena VOTE) 88% to 12%. So, they're own readers totally disagree with the so-called experts. Oh yeah, I forgot, Samsung has a much bigger "bribing" budget.
111. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7705; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I hope you know that the battery advancements in the S5 alone deem it to win this award alone.
115. MINDoSOUL (Posts: 16; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Haven't been tested yet, will have to see.
113. jellmoo (Posts: 650; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I don't necessarily disagree with their decision, I am reserving my judgement until I see both devices in person, but this line struck me as bad:
"In a surprising turn of events, Samsung seems to have come to its senses, and decided to cut out the gimmicks and introduce a number of exciting features that actually make sense, such as a fingerprint scanner, a heart rate monitor..."
I'm sorry, but a fingerprint scanner and heart rate monitor is the epitome of gimmicky features. Neither one adds any appreciable value to smartphone use. The S5 has some interest *despite* having these gimmicks, not because of them.
114. Totse2k15 (Posts: 236; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
I'd say the Z2 is #1 smartphone @ MWC 2014.
117. harigrg33 (Posts: 148; Member since: 20 May 2013)
Z2 is definitely the winner for me for this year q1. :)
118. Nevada (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Feb 2013)
PA u are such a Samsung douchebags, next time peek out of sammy's asshole. Not if ur choice makes the S5 a great phone, cuz it's undoubtley the most dissapointing product from Samsung since ever. U made a fool out of urself (again)
119. Achilis (Posts: 32; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
LOL....I don't know how much it cost for Samsung for such a biased choice from phonearena. Innovation in both hardware n software....LOL....
122. emadshiny (Posts: 1127; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
You're getting more and more intolerable PA.
It's really interesting that you can't even support your choice.
123. dorianb (Posts: 355; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Obviously the writers for PA ARE blind, deaf, & stupid.
Sony Xperia Z2 all day.
124. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7705; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You sure it's not you we're talking about?
125. darkkjedii (Posts: 10489; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
S5 deserved it. Samsung has finally learned to cut the gimmicks and add practical features. Congrats Samsung. Jedii approved.
131. Diezparda (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Really DJ? did you think they deserved it? what about Z2? up till now i still think fingerprint sensor is a gimmick (well it's still more useful than air what? gesture...). S5 dissapointing compared to Note 3 design and specs, those neon coloured dot pattern back cover is ugliest s**t i've seen for a flagship phone.
130. Diezparda (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Lol why S5? is there none other contenders? i think Z2 is better in many way except the fact it has smaller screen and pretty similiar dimension as Note 3.
138. Odiin (Posts: 212; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
"But there can be only one winner, and this time, it's going to be..... the Samsung Galaxy S5!"
Not only this time PA, Its everytime, you heard it? Its everytime .........
140. Andrewtst (Posts: 302; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
S5 is the worst phone ever release by Samsung, it even worst than S4.
All new features is as usual gimmick with the most ugly flagship phone on earth.
For me this year it gonna be Sony Xperia Z2.
141. v3n0m (Posts: 8; Member since: 01 Mar 2014)
This is ridiculous...
Sony xperia z2: surround sound, bigger and better sscreen, 1gb more Ram, better build quality, water resistant, 3200 mah battery, 20.7mp cam vs 16mp. How did PA get to the conclusion that the s5 is the winner? What,are you guys smoking???
144. philansel7 (Posts: 27; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
I just hope PA got the cheque from Samsung ! :)
We should better call it SamsungArena