Best smartphone of MWC 2014: PhoneArena awards
0. phoneArena 28 Feb 2014, 09:19 posted on
MWC 2014 was a tremendously exciting expo, and that's mainly thanks to the impressive flagship smartphones that got announced. We can easily distinguish three top-shelf handsets that undeniably managed to make the biggest bang at the show. Those are the Samsung Galaxy S5, the Sony Xperia Z2 and the LG G Pro 2...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
25. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
I doubt any hospital will use a smartphone as a heart rate monitor, pretty sure they have devices dedicated to that job that will surely do a better task at it too.
44. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
are you manufactering dedicated heart rate machines?
even a dedicated camera can also do better task in photos too, why companies are putting camera in the phones?? quite ironic, may be companies are out of mind
101. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Manufacturers are putting work in cameras as people use them daily. No one uses heart rate monitors daily, and if they do, this is an inadequate replacement.
26. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
If the device is designated as medical device, then what about it's innacuracies?
Now of course we wouldn't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars just to make/purchase a 200 pound machine if a phone could be as accurate as them. And if hospitals in Korea start using the S5 as medical equipment, then it just shows, well overconfidence in the technology achieved by their nation's largest company.
32. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It's a gimmick because Samsung released it. You're wasting your breath lol. I'm just going to sit back and watch all these comments to show how biased the user base is.
65. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Oh how deluded you are to think I am basing my opinions off of the brand name. Just accept that Samsung isn't perfect.
68. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Never have I said Samsung is perfect. Now the Note 3 on the other hand..
104. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
I honestly like the S5, and voted "yes" in the Did you like the S5 poll, but you can't say that the heart rate monitor isn't a gimmick, sure it's cool to have but there are much more reliable and accurate alternatives if someone really is into that kind of thing. Of course as the tech improves, it won't be a gimmick, or at least less of it, but right now, it just is a gimmick.
105. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It isn't. Why? Because others will adapt down the road. Will it be a gimmick then?
127. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Just because a feature is available doesn't mean people necessarily adapt to it. S5 has tens of "smart" features that people would rather just turn off. Heart rate monitor, i think, is one of those things.
145. Publicglutton (Posts: 4; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Everythings relative, so if AliNSiddiqui feels it's a gimmick then it is to him.
4. lukkiristi (Posts: 68; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Are you out of your minds? Innovation in "both hardware and software"?!
9. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I don't see the "innovation" they're talking about, the hardware is just a normal flagship specs, and the software is just a normal Touchwiz which looks cleaner. Innovation? More like improvement.
14. lukkiristi (Posts: 68; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Indeed. And while there weren't any truly groundbreaking devices introduced, the S5 is the least impressive.
48. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You forgot 'imo' at the end of your sentence.
7. limporgyuk (Posts: 276; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
I really do not understand this but I have come to expect it from PA
54. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Ofcourse PA has done which was needed to be done, they didnt counted on the beauty of exteriors, they have done all round analysis... and for sure without a shadow of a doubt Samsung will win in any all round analysis... despite all my praise I will keep screaming why Samsung adopted crocodile like back cover?
8. hassoups (Posts: 473; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
If this was written the same day it was announced I probably would've been reacting like those guys ^^
Now I see the phone for what it is and I'm all in.
28. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I knew it was going to win because it deserves it. It's a great phone and is the best so far imo.
31. hassoups (Posts: 473; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
I honestly couldn't get myself to like it at first, but this has always been the case for me with galaxies with the exception of the note 3 um typing this with now. Going for the black one when it comes out..
34. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I instantly fell in love with the Note 3, especially with the back. This 13MP camera proves Samsusng knows what the hell they're doing when it comes to software.
51. hassoups (Posts: 473; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
Exactly. Can't wait for Kitkat here in the down under
11. amats69 (Posts: 1447; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Seriously PA? LoL...z2 is far far better than the s5.. joke of the day!
12. Publicglutton (Posts: 4; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Galaxy S5......8000 votes which 80% "Did NOT like it" & yet still best of MWC2014 that is laughable,
The Sony XperiaZ2 had just as many "really notable improvements" and is actually beautiful.
85. HouTexan (Posts: 439; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
Lmao What's your point? You can't take these polls serious for nothing. These people on here are biased AGAINST Samsung. Don't be dense.
98. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
80% votes just by looking photographs... best of MWC2014 award is by looking n checking physically... so what do you think which is more credible? Views based on photos or handon experience?
106. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Tell that to the rest of the user base on PA.
13. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 526; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
Even though i hate the s5 i agree with pa. But then none of those phones excite. I want true edge to edge bezeless display.
15. jrod78414 (Posts: 102; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Im not sure if its a gimmick, if you use it then no, if you dont then yes. plus nobody else has it not sure why you're dissapointed , opinion you can say Sony has redone the same phone and added nothing new. who is stuck in the past and who introduces something new. ? i Admit Sony has a very good camera.
18. CreedFrancis (Posts: 21; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Dafaq you guys are smokin?! Huge fan of Samsung since S2 but S5 doesnt deserve this, Sony Xperia Z2 does!
20. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
From me to PA: fu** you.
You even made polls if we liked Z2 or S5. We clearly didn't like the S5 and the ongoing poll for the Z2 seems to lead into results that prove this award wrong...
30. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Polls were totally skewed. The authors of PA decide on the award, not the user base for one reason: blind hate.
35. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
People didn't vote for the Z2 because of blind hate for Samsung. They voted for Z2 because S5 really disappointed everybody.
42. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Yet everyone is still going to get it once they notice the Z2 is outright expensive. Same exact thing happened last year. How many users applauded the Z but ended up getting a S4? How many users trolled PA for days? Let's not even go down this road.
56. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
One user. You know who? Yes. Exactly. You.
60. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Fail. Thousands on this site alone, and millions across the globe.
73. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Anyway you are one of them and I'm not so who cares?
74. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I can't believe I will say this, but Smurf is right this time. But he should change "everyone" to "many people", because not everyone wants to follow the Samsung trend. If the Z2 is more expensive than the S5, then it will definitely scare away many people to the S5 even if they applauded how good the Z2 is. I think it's because of the brand name and those features that the S5 have are more than the Z2 which I'm not interested about. For me as a consumer, if the Z2 is very expensive, I think I'm not gonna get a Sony flagship this year, maybe I'll get a HTC or LG flagship, but it really depends on the price. But still, Xperia Z2 is one of my favorite phone this year.
88. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Did I read this correctly? Did I agree with what you just said? Here take this... No seriously, take it. +1
21. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Seriously PA?? The award should have went to the G Pro 2 or Z2, both of which have better specs and features that will be used daily by average consumers. The S5 is a nice phone, but those two are better. I guess PA is changing from iPhone@rena to Samsungarena? ;-)
22. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Ray, dude you really need to understand that a professional opinion is not a personal opinion.
Infact, most people, including critics from websites like CNET and Engadget have been nothing but dissapointed from Samsung Galaxy S5. They are now recommending the Z2 as the best phone to buy this summer.
Even in your own phoneArena polls, you can easily see that almost 4 people out of 5 don't like the Samsung, and by current observations, 4 out of 5 like the Z2. It's time you stop being biased (which you're being, at least according to me) and face the real world. Samsung has been outdone at it's own game.
And talking about gimmicky features, what is more useful, Dual Speakers on the front of the device providing Stereo Sound, or an Heart Rate Monitor, that one will rarely use unless [s]he's old or a heart patient, in which case, [s]he oughts to own a much more accurate monitor.
Talking about Fingerprint Sensors, I said when Apple showcased it, and I am saying it when Samsung has, it is extremely useless. Do you want your 10 year old to unlock your phone while you're asleep, and start playing games, or listening to music at inappropriate times? I think not.
Moreover, on the software side, while Sony refined its already elegent UI, Samsung has just made theirs more cartoonish in an attempt to make it flatter and simpler, failing really badly where Microsoft and Apple succeeded.
I know the last two paragraphs are just my opinions, however, I would like to spread them, and not enforce them in such an influential article, which affects the real world sales and following of the devices, and I have written so in the comments, knowing that most probably, a person would rarely take a notice of it.
66. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Lolz... brother finger print scanner open the phone with your finger print only not with the finger print of 10years old... if your 10years old put your finger to it while you sleeping then I must praise your sound sleep... in software so called gimmicky features has simultaneous photos, dual screen and some other goodies which require huge praise
23. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Innovations from both hardware and software hmmm i see galaxy s5. must be a million dollar bribe to feed such large staff.
43. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Or an unbiased decision, like a website dedicated into providing reviews for phones does.
36. newbey123 (Posts: 581; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
LMAO! Wonder how much Crapsung paid PA to say that, guess they are trying to buy praise. No informed buyer will be fooled, but whatever, lol.
38. Xenaz (Posts: 144; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
“...Well, that's it for this year's MWC, folks. To tell you the truth, the Sony Xperia Z2 was incredibly close to snatching the award, but hey, Samsung has done some really notable improvements in a number of key areas of its flagship smartphone, and that secured the win for the GS5.”
I smell a little guilty and diffident on this part....
41. abhijithcs96 (Posts: 6; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Only one word about this... HELL.......... Phonearena ... R u drink or mad? ! Everyone know z2 is the winner......... This is not phonearena ...... This is Samsungarena ...........
52. Arnav (Posts: 5; Member since: 23 Feb 2014)
Are you kidding....
its just an plastic phone with upgrade specs
and same samsung galaxy design
no innovation except the heart rate sensor
61. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
All Sony did was add front facing speakers, noise cancelation (good on their part) and an extra gig of RAM lol.
78. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
You forgot the better display. Sony did it right this time.
92. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'll wait to demo it in real time to give my judgement.
57. MINDoSOUL (Posts: 149; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
May we know how you scored both devices and how did the S5 snatch the win, what's the point of the poll you did on the S5 if your not going to take in consideration the opinion of your subscribers. I am not a fan of any certain brand i simply go for the best device and the best device so far from PA coverage of MWC 2014 is Sony because it has the best of everything going for it, while S5 on the other hand didn't deliver in terms of design (front,back), the heart monitor is useful for certain people but its a gimmick you will probably use it a couple of times and then forget about it, the finger print sensor so far from the reviews doesn't seem to run smoothly. I can't see how the S5 won!.
69. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
So show how bias and how much hate the user base has on one particular brand.
87. MINDoSOUL (Posts: 149; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
I have no hate for Samsung or any other brand most of my devices were from Samsung, so i wish them well but as i stated they didn't listen to their customers and didn't deliver with this device.