Best gadgets of 2013: our favorites so far
0. phoneArena 26 Sep 2013, 09:34 posted on
Powerful got redefined in 2013 - devices have gotten thinner, better and more power-efficient, but some stand out…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5425; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the top two are my two personal devices. ;D
51. designerfx (Posts: 49; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
I'm disgusted to see iphone 5s as #1. The thing is "Alright", but these days it doesn't really stand up to the competition. I can't tell if this is "we put it at the top because it's newest" or just blatantly silly adoration of apple.
70. 14545 (Posts: 874; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Bingo, it's a great device, but it's not even in the top 5 best devices of 2013. All that it has going for it is a fingerprint scanner, other than that it is nothing "special". It's not even remotely competitive hardwarewise. I wonder how much apple paid for this spot.
87. Daboss (Posts: 12; Member since: 27 Sep 2013)
It's not even remotely competitive yet it crushes the others.
I know phonearena is made up of 90% android fans of which 70% will never admit when beaten.
I use a sgs3, but I had to admit that those apple engineers really know their stuff. A 1.3ghz dual core outperforming a 2.3ghz quad core is just glorious!
89. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5425; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you know this thing has the SGX Rogue GPU right? it's about 25% better than the Adreno 320 in current Android devices. this thing has mad power.
75. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 351; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
It's Victor who works for iOSarena. We are lucky it didn't go like this:
It's actually funny lining them up knowing they are all the exact same phone with almost nothing new between them :/
97. MobileKicker (Posts: 207; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
You call apple foolish
Ok, leave the iPhones see the MacBooks iMac iPads iPods EarPods
100. MobileKicker (Posts: 207; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
Apple beats samsung in many ways:
MacBooks vs Sammy's old notebook
iPad vs samsungs tablets
iPods vs nothing
EarPods vs quad beats
Who won huh android lovers
4. shuaibhere (Posts: 592; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Z1 deserves to be there in my opinion or zu for triminolous display...
6. buccob (Posts: 725; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Well it is PA's favorite... it reflects on past reviews...
I would have chosen Z1, SmartWatch 2 over Pebble (a lot of hw and sw problems with Pebble)...
also the QX10 and QX100 lenses are way cooler gadget than a fitness tracker
9. Sauce (Posts: 426; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
It's not about the Pebble itself, but about the Pebble leading the industry into a future that will flourish better, improved, higher standard smart watches. Note: read descriptions ("For heralding us into the era of smartwatches")
8. Victor.H (Posts: 323; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Let me stress once again - we've only included gadgets that are currently on sale. Devices like the Xperia Z1 and Galaxy Note 3 have not yet gone up for sale.
18. buccob (Posts: 725; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
They have... only not where you are...
And since this is a "2013" list... any gadget not included will not appear neither here nor in 2014 list... where do they belong? "Favorite 2013 Last Quarter Gadgets"
20. Immolate (Posts: 226; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
The LG G2 is on sale, and it got a higher review score than the 5s. And yet the 5same got the nod.
36. jellmoo (Posts: 200; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
But the Galaxy S4 also got the nod, with exactly the same score as the 5s.
I think the reach, adoption, and perception of the device needs to come into play as well. The iPhone and Galaxy series of devices are undoubtably at the top of that food chain.
38. MobileKicker (Posts: 207; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
Lg g2 is nothing in front of s4 and 5s
S4s smart interaction and 5s fingerprint scanner rocks
42. Randz (Posts: 10; Member since: 14 May 2013)
I thought its about the "innovations that comes with them"? HTC One, Xperia Z1 (already available) and LG G2 are all products of innovations...Iphone 5S and S4 both S stands for same, fingerprint scanner? Hmm.!! IOS7? Hmm..!! Just d same as android platform..
61. housry23 (Posts: 62; Member since: 03 Jun 2012)
No Moto X? It's 10 times the device the Galaxy S4 is. That's all.
86. jb4674 (Posts: 98; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
You failed on this on the sole premise that you didn't take into account devices that are far superior to the POS iPhone 5s and also that said items like the Xperia Z1 are already out.
98. MobileKicker (Posts: 207; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
U have justified, these all mad android lovers are ignoring the fingerprint scanner, 64 bit processor, dual led flashlight and all the cool stuff iphone 5s has
They are blind and can see nothing but android
90. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
If not definitely the Tablet Z. Runs smooth with a solid screen and it's waterproof. Yes please
14. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
It's a toss-up of a device - great hardware, meh software. The S4 is more balanced, even though the G2 beats it in some areas.
22. quesoesgrande (Posts: 192; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
With root, great heard ware, perfect software.
63. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Wish it didn't need root/ROM to be great. I was hoping LG would make the Optimus UI more stock-ish after doing the Nexus 4. Instead they're trying to out-gimmick TouchWiz.
62. hboy857 (Posts: 42; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
I also find it weird. G2 scroe more than GS4, yet GS4 is their favorite gadget not G2. I wonder why?
15. daniel_bargs (Posts: 319; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
I immediately said "*FU*CK!" after seeing the iPhone 5S accidentally!
21. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
before i click the article, i already know it will be iphone 5s.
even a brick with apple logo will be best gadget of 2013.
23. harigrg33 (Posts: 133; Member since: 20 May 2013)
When I saw iphone 5s on top I didnt look below...my hand came direct to comment section :D
24. Joshing4fun (Posts: 960; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Glad to see the S4 there. I hate to see it written off just because it has last week's processor. It's a future proof phone that will get support only second to Nexus phones.
29. julaiele (Posts: 12; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
I detest. The G2 out of the picture? So how can we believe in your review ratings? The G2 got the highest yet not included? That's absurd. Misleading. When you said favorites...you meant "favorites" indeed huh? Heck what...we should have known better. Do we smell paid ads here? SHUT UP & GET REAL.
34. PunyPoop (Posts: 506; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
This site is inconsistent, so what do you expect?
102. MobileKicker (Posts: 207; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
O than get out to gsmarena
This site doesn't needs you
35. TheUndernet (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
Um....really....the Iphone 5s and an ouya?!.....forget the G2 for having the thinnest bezel and reinvented buttons....forget the Z1 for being submersible and the Xperia Tablet Z for being waterproof as well.....forget the HTC One for getting the title "Best Smartphone ever built" as of yet...
39. jellmoo (Posts: 200; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Well, they are saying it's a list of their "favourite" devices, not a list of the "best" devices. I expect a fair amount of bias to this list, as they are simply stating their preferences, along with a reason for that pick. It's entirely possible that despite there being a technical superior device, they still prefer something else.
For example: Sit me down with either a Galaxy S4 or a G2 on one hand, or my Nexus 4 on the other, I will pick the Nexus 4 every time. I know it's technically inferior, but I still prefer it.
I'm the first guy to come down on PA when they do a crappy review, but this isn't being portrayed as a review. It is simply a collective opinion.
44. julaiele (Posts: 12; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
Okay you hit the keys brother. Keep calm. It's a freedom world. Everyone have that hell of a right to give personal preferences. Forget the reviews & get frolic. I'm inviting the reviewer to come & sit down, Lets do a spelling game... Mr. Reviewer can you spell the word... INCONSISTENT? Huhumm... Do you need help?
40. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Sony Z Tablet. It's insanely thin, great battery life, and super smooth.
45. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Wow. 5S scores #1 and I wont care about it in a month or two. Every year Apple seems less and less relevant. :|
46. Sniggly (Posts: 6195; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
"We only include devices that have stood the test of time."
Oh I see. The Ouya, which got lukewarm reviews and has barely made any sales, makes this list? The iPhone 5s, which has been on sale for less than a week, makes this list?
And yet the Moto X gets left off this list? A phone that even Mike Elgan agrees is more innovative than the iPhone?
77. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3264; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Don't forget the HTC One, the hero device that HTC needs to stay in business that they poured all of their design prowess into, the device that debuted their completely revamped and clean Sense 5 interface, and the device that went against the megapixel race to achieve nearly unmatched low light performance. It has definitely proven it's worth more than the iPhone 5S has, which, like you said, has only been out for a week.
Also, has PA forgotten that 2013 isn't even over yet? The Nexus 5, Nexus 10, iPad 5, iPad mini 2, and the mystery Motorola tablet haven't been released yet. This article is 3 months early.
81. Sniggly (Posts: 6195; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
They did say they'll update the list as they go on, but for Victor to ignore Motorola's innovation and instead include a failed, beta console and a phone that's been dismissed as the opposite of innovative by many is puzzling, to say the least.
And yeah, the One definitely has one unique feature I like: it actually takes phone speakers seriously. I'm not a fan of Sense 5, honestly, but the rest is very, very nice.
47. structureman116 (Posts: 131; Member since: 14 Sep 2010)
This entire list is crap...The Pebble should be ahead of the crap-phone 5S. It is amazing how Apple can do nothing but redress the same piece of junk in new clothes, add 1-2 relevant new features and be hailed as the greatest invention since the wheel. What a joke!