Best display for outdoor use comparison: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8 vs Apple iPhone 5s vs Note 3 vs the rest
0. phoneArena 02 May 2014, 08:25 posted on
Some phones are different than others: they can get brighter, they have anti-reflection filters, and it's generally much easier to see what's on their displays than on others…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
7. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1102; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Not really, i like HTC but that didn't prevent me from voting for the Galaxy S5 in every single one because it was simply the best. On another note PA you could have at least clean the screens, the iPhone and the M8 are dirty as hell lmao.
26. Finalflash (Posts: 2451; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yea, I am not that big a fan of the S5, but there really is no doubt it trumps all others in that test.
135. LionStone (Posts: 600; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Yea and the watermarks, really PA!? You want us to view your pics of the displays that are marked? Lame. Oh, and put them on a board or something, the lumpy grass isn't the best platform to use for this purpose.
31. Klamba92 (Posts: 210; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Yes that's the sad truth, I have the Nexus 5 but I voted the S5 for all, because in reality it does have the brightest display of them all and the best viewing angles from the pics shown! I prefer the Nexus 5 over the S5 but the fact is Samsung have really improved their display brightness significantly!
50. hung2900 (Posts: 911; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Not everyone, but there are still a lot of brain-less fans.
112. Imaxxacre (Posts: 68; Member since: 23 Aug 2009)
I have a lot of problems with Samsung, but it is pretty obvious that the S5's display looks better in almost all of those images.
3. tech2 (Posts: 3143; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Samsung + AmoLED = Best display !
Great sunlight visibility, best viewing angles, nicely saturated and vibrant screen (arguably), now its on par in terms of brightness with a brightness going down as much as 2 nits !
P.S. Kudos to retina for being such an old tech but still rockin' it !
14. TechFreak123 (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
Its amOLED (active matrix Organice Light-emitting Diode).
90. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 400; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Most everyone here has based their opinion on what they can see. Fair enough I suppose, but compared to LCD displays I wonder how much power Sammy's tech is drawing to compete with the Sun.
10. nazyr1803 (Posts: 90; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
I just wanna say from my experience. Im using moto g and my mom use note 2. When under the sun especially afternoon, i can see clearly my screen but not for note 2. I can say that it is pretty good for moto g.
11. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3532; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
S5 is a huge improvement over S4. S4 looks just black all the time lol
LOL PA you forgot to change the picture on iPhone in pic 4!! :D
126. Ashoaib (Posts: 3013; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Lg g2 is also pretty good under sun light but it is quite reflective under sharp indoor lights
17. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
Go back to your time machine mate, this is future
19. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3532; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
lol. I guess you also have a time machine to post from future?
38. tech2 (Posts: 3143; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Im still laughin' at 'this is future' ;D
20. xperian (Posts: 207; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
I didn't vote for S5 even if it looked better, because other phones were covered in fingerprints too look worse against samsung
22. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
cool story bro, You need to see the eyes doctor mate
73. xperian (Posts: 207; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
You clearly didn't read my comment. I see that Samsung looks better in photos, but I didn't vote for it, because of fingerprints on other devices, so comparison wasn't fair.
21. tiara6918 (Posts: 1949; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Super amoled is the best display outdoors, great job sammy!
28. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
Spammer detected, but Nokia no longer relevant
45. shuaibhere (Posts: 1966; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
And if you keep on commenting like this...you will be no more relevant here in PA....
This is from samsung fan...
People like you create a bad image for others....
91. elitewolverine (Posts: 4157; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
^agreed, the s5 looked great, I would have loved to see either a icon or 1520 in the shot.
138. varuntis1993 (Posts: 49; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
Talk about yourself, just look at your username crapboy, can't see anything better than samsung...Get a life
I own nexus devices but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate anything better that is there in the market.
Most of them must be knowing nokia used the assertive display in 1520 which can blow away any other phone when it comes to brightness in sunlight visibility but I know you will be butthurt when you'll see your dearest s5 loosing to it. Deal with it.
29. nazyr1803 (Posts: 90; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
How about comparing with nokia 3310 screen.. Hehehe
30. hiwilms (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 May 2014)
Nokia Lumias are missing? LOL Lumia is much much better than Samesung.
47. shuaibhere (Posts: 1966; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
In what way????
S5 is better in every department....
It has brightest display of schoo all, and amoled has low sun reflectance...
92. elitewolverine (Posts: 4157; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
because if that was the 'truth' which we know everyone on the web is a master degree in science and manufacturing, the 1520 has shown to have one awesome screen.
By this vid:https://www.youtube.com/watch?
It would be s5=>1420>note3> rest.
39. greyhulk (Posts: 152; Member since: 30 Jun 2010)
Galaxy S5 isn't really a surprise. That screen is just amazing, but the Note 3 DID surprise me. I still have that phone and never realized it was that good outdoors.
62. hung2900 (Posts: 911; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
If you turned on the automatic brightness and still not as good as other phones when you compared, I have to say the problem is the quality variance on some units which are not as good as the average.
46. Daytonadave17 (Posts: 54; Member since: 26 Oct 2013)
Umm hello!!! What about Nokia!! I love the fact that everyone is scared of Nokia! Haha. Lame!!!
49. shuaibhere (Posts: 1966; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
No one is scared of nokia...
s5 easily has the best display....
51. shuaibhere (Posts: 1966; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
No one is scared of nokia...
s5 easily has the best display....
56. Heatfan316 (Posts: 555; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Let's find out which is better the 1520 or the s5. PA would please do a comparison between the two?
86. Ashoaib (Posts: 3013; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
They are doing comparison between popular phones only
58. JMartin22 (Posts: 1716; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
The Note 4 will probably hit over an astonishing 700 nits later this year and smash all of these displays. They typically amp up the brightness each and every Note release.
61. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
See....this is more important to me than ppi, screen res. Trying to watch Netflix outdoors on my RAZR and Rezound.....screen rez, ppi didnt matter...
Outdoor visibility, blacks, contrasts did. Even tho the Rezound was brighter, had a higher ppi and screen res.....that didnt help because the contrast was not as good as the RAZR. Blacks either. Outdoor visibility either.
Amoled (RAZR) vs LCD(Rezound)....
Amoled for life....
68. rob5150 (Posts: 147; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
LG Optimus g pro vs S5. Direct sunlight side by side. Optimus g pro was the clear winner. I returned the s5. G pro beat it out on screen and speed.
72. mokhtar (Posts: 399; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
i think i will quitte this website .. samsung paid them too much those days .. just a siimple question ? where is the nokia PHONES ? ( i'am not a nokia big fan ) are u afraid to destroy them and looked like stupid phones against 1520 and 1020 ? ( we have a test already in youtube note 3 vs 1520 in outdoor and 1520 smoke samsung , you can check it in youtube ) and why u still do an xperia z1 ? there and XPERIA Z2 NO ? are u afraid again against new sony technology ? who beats note 3 also in display !!
PHONE ARENA U ARE GETTING SICK
82. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
"First, it was time for a general test for which we compared all the smartphones we had with us.
We had 8 devices: the Samsung Galaxy S5, the Galaxy S4, the Note 3, the Nexus 5, the Apple iPhone 5s, the Sony Xperia Z1, the HTC One M8, and M7."
That was from the article....
They cant include phones....they dont have on hand......
Cmon ppl.....at least read the article....whole article.....before commenting....
99. mokhtar (Posts: 399; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
haha next joke plz .. phone arena doesn't have z2 and lumias ? yea keep trusting everything in internet ;) .. USE YOUR MIND ... AT LEAST IF U HAVE ONE ..BEFORE JUDGING
101. maccess (Posts: 734; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
Just quit already kid.. your butthurt behaviour is getting annoying..
137. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I am going by what they say in the article....you are assuming.....
And you want me to use...MY mind....lol.
83. wilsong17 (unregistered)
U mad bro lol you are dumb bro get some who has the note and put it against your phone in the sun
97. mokhtar (Posts: 399; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
i have the nokia lumia 1020 ? he will smokes note in sunlight ;) .. btw i have z1 too ;)
87. Ashoaib (Posts: 3013; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
They are doing comparison between popular phones... nokia n WP is not that popular, now go home
98. mokhtar (Posts: 399; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
nokia are not popular ? i think you are the one who is so drunk today .. GO HOME
125. Ashoaib (Posts: 3013; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Learn to write first and then send anyone home... go home, learn to write and then come back and then send anyone...
Beside that where nokia is popular in smart phones? in your mind only??