Best HTC One (M8) alternatives
0. phoneArena 26 Mar 2014, 07:53 posted on
The new HTC One (M8) has gone official, and it’s already available for purchase on major US carriers…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. papss (unregistered)
I'd only consider the z2 but Sony can't get their sh!t together and release on all carriers
5. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1719; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I know... I was so set on getting the Z2 and I was so sure about it... Until I heard the news that it might only comes out in Verizon and watch some camera feature that HTC One (M8) offers.... Now I'm torn....
19. papss (unregistered)
I'm tired of waiting on Sony..would love to try their phone but not moving carriers to do so. I went for the one
25. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1719; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
yeah... I might do the same. Also, the HTC One seems like can handle few minor drop with ease.
48. KParks23 (Posts: 497; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
U realize u can just buy the international version if ur not on Verizon right!
10. vijaysivakula (Posts: 174; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
I would say all these carriers dont get their sh!t together and definitely dont want to benefit the customers. They are the vampires sucking their customers dry by not giving them all the benefits they could from the mobile manufacturors.
39. drazwy (Posts: 155; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
I agree. I was set on the Z2. Seems like the best all around phone coming. But now with Verizon only, it's out. Don't like the camera on the new HTC. The S5 is ugly. LG G2 is old now. Nexus is old. Apple? Get real. G2 pro 2? Last years specs. Looks like I might not be able to take advantage of T-mobile's Jump!. Nothing I want to Jump to. Picky I am...
14. papss (unregistered)
I decided to jump on the new one last night.
30. alex88ucv (Posts: 36; Member since: 05 Mar 2014)
i decided to wait for the new lumia 930 and the all new wp8,1..only sony would be my choice for android..htc..noo waaayy..lame camera, lame screen estate..they just do not listen to their costumers
41. papss (unregistered)
I have a 1520 that will be my daily driver too.. I don't like android at all but figured sense looks different enough for me to try it
3. ThePython (Posts: 497; Member since: 08 May 2013)
One does not simply lists... TouchWiz as an advantage for a Samsung smartphone.
31. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Seriously.. What the hell is wrong with PA? Sense destroys Touchwiz in terms of consistency and following Android guidelines, which are the only two facts that aren't subjective to opinions.
45. ThePython (Posts: 497; Member since: 08 May 2013)
They are a bit inconsistent... That's what I can see. TouchWiz is visibly unpolished and rushed, while Sense is the exact opposite.
7. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1719; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
that is weird. I don't think either G Pro 2 or Note 3 should be considered since they are in different category
6. uncle.Dolan (Posts: 4; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
The guys over at Phonearena must really hate HTC. #justsaying
8. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1719; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
PA loves their iPhone and Samsung.... Period... #themostbiassiteever
17. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
A site isn't biased if it disagrees with you.
They chose Samsung and Apple because millions of customers have shown their faith in both these brands.
28. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1719; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Actually I am very open minded when it comes to smartphone. Even as an Android fan, I still can see the value and goods in iPhone and iOS. Every manufacturer brings something different to the table and that's what drives the industry forward. Back then when Blackberry is basically the only smartphone maker, they stood still for years... Now they are left in the dust. I like to try out different phones from different companies. However, if you pay attention on the amount of stories they put out on the a certain phone, Apple and Samsung will always come out on top. Even an article only contains 10 lines to talk about some simple thing...
42. Cicero (Posts: 623; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
You have to see the above article by Ray S. HTC adverising.
9. Technobri (Posts: 79; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
S5 for me.. The m8 has the looks and sound over the s5 but that's basically it
15. Achilis (Posts: 32; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
1st of all G Pro2 should not be considered as its a different category. If you decide to consider phablets also as an option then omitting Note 3 is unpardonable. It should be among the 1st consideration if you include phablets as it is still the best.
16. tiara6918 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Really pa? I smell somethin fishy here. Why was this only done for the m8?
20. youlookfoolish (Posts: 145; Member since: 14 Dec 2012)
Good post. Good question. They won't answer with the obvious and honest answer. They weren't impressed with the M8.
Waterproofing and a heart rate monitor are a big deal to them? I pose that as a question because the finger print scanner has been done before and flopped. Although it was, you know... Revolutionary.
34. tiara6918 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
and besides even if the m8 wasn't waterproof/water resistant. This metal beast also wouldn't be nice if it gets wet since it's made out of metal
18. youlookfoolish (Posts: 145; Member since: 14 Dec 2012)
Wow, really? Too soon?
Where was the S5 alternative article? We get it PA, you're not impressed. Don't be too obvious about it though.
21. TheRetroReplay (Posts: 248; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
I won't go with Samsung ever again after my Galaxy S3, I had for for 12 days and returned it. I'm on Verizon and the S3 could not maintain a signal at all, someone at Verizon told me the Samsung uses weaker antennas, I don't know of that's true or not.
I would have gone with Sony's Z2, but the last time Sony released a phone on Verizon was that weird gaming gaming phone. So I won't hold my breath for another Sony phone on Verizon. I might have gone with the LG G2, but it's interface feels too much like TouchWiz and I hate TouchWiz with a passion, it bugs me that the button that should bring up recent apps brings up an option menu instead.
I don't get why all the hate this site is giving the new HTC One, before it came out you guys were loving it and now its out, you're giving it crap.
22. Jommick (Posts: 213; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
Honestly, I don't see how the 5s can be listed in an "alternatives" article. I would imagine if people came to this article they would be looking for android alternatives.
24. N-fanboy (Posts: 538; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
I don't think the iphone 5s should be on the list because people who want to buy the Htc know that it wont have the small screen of the iphone.
59. Diezparda (Posts: 280; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
make sense, or else they want an Android device.
27. newbey123 (Posts: 503; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Ordered two M8 for me and the wifey. The only other phone that would have been an option is the Z2, but the Z2 and M8 being equal, the M8 looks so much better, so we went went those. Sammy isn't in the same category as the M8 or Z2, so it wasn't even considered by either of us.
33. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
S5 isn't even an option. Most people aren't even considering that phone and are instead choosing HTC One which stayed with 4MP for its main shooter.. That's how badly Samsung messed up.
36. banglazbless (Posts: 52; Member since: 05 Feb 2014)
Huh? Who are you telling that to? The 2000 people who hate samsung? There is an world outside of your little circle you know.
44. true1984 (Posts: 653; Member since: 23 May 2012)
not true at all. i'm not going with samsung due to touchwiz. thats all. nothing else about the phone entices me.
35. HTCOE (Posts: 604; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
i'm not sure about the Z2 for me...it has the specs but when i put the phone in my hand all of that seems to go out the window from the design, feel in my hand, and UI...im just not a fan of it overall but it does have a good camera though
46. ToxiD (Posts: 43; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
This! Z2 seems better than HTC overall, but that UI looks boring to me.
38. CreedFrancis (Posts: 21; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
For me the most well rounded phone of the year goes to Sony Xperia Z2. It's got what the HTC One M8 is missing; great camera, while one can still argue that more megapixels doesn't really equate to good quality photos, 4 megapixels is still 4 megapixels. Xperia Z2 also got what the Galaxy S5 missed; premium build quality and front facing speakers, this maybe subjective but everybody loves a great looking phone and front facing speakers! Plus Z2 got an ample battery capacity, waterproofing and dustproofing are all a plus so Xperia Z2 for me! But that very well may change till the G3 comes out.
43. kusalanupama (Posts: 9; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
where is the Galaxy Note 3 ? Its a must
51. jellmoo (Posts: 769; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
So the best alternatives include 2 devices that aren't available, 1 device with a considerably smaller screen running a different OS, and a considerably larger device in a different size category that isn't even the best device in that category?
52. vedraj (Posts: 41; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
i think the Motorola Moto X should have been on the list.
53. vedraj (Posts: 41; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
i think the Motorola Moto X should have been on the list. It might not have been a power house but it focuses on features that really mean something
54. vedraj (Posts: 41; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
i think the Motorola Moto X should have been on the list. It might not have been a power house but it focuses on features that really mean something.(to its users). i mean who would want a heart rate monitor on their phone. All they need is a phone which could make a simple phone call and other features of a smartphone.
55. vedraj (Posts: 41; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
i think the Motorola Moto X should have been on the list. It might not have been a power house but it focuses on features that really mean something.[(to its users)(Which matter)]. i mean who would want a heart rate monitor on their phone. All they need is a phone which could make a simple phone call and other features of a smartphone.
57. jellmoo (Posts: 769; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
So... do you think that the Moto X should be on the list?
56. fatedcircle14 (Posts: 23; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
uhm so can you guys at PA post an article for "cheap" but with good quality alternatives to the M8 (aside from nexus 5) ,Im sure people with tight budget will appreciate that...thanks in advance !!
58. gigaraga (Posts: 1407; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I would only consider the Samsung Galaxy S5. Maybe the Z2 but to a way lesser extent. Other phones in the list need no mentioning.
60. najib1312 (Posts: 102; Member since: 08 May 2013)
PA should add a poll on "Which of these phones do you think will get the highest score from our editorial team - HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S5 or Sony Xperia Z2?"
If the answer was Samsung Galaxy s5, their biasness would be proven.