Before launching the Lumia 1520, Nokia wants to know if you like the word "phablet"
0. phoneArena 13 Sep 2013, 20:19 posted on
The word "phablet" has always been a bit of an awkward word. It was created because there is an indistinct grey area between the acceptable size for a smartphone, and the acceptable size for a small tablet. Not everyone is a fan of the word, and Nokia wants to find out what your feelings are on the term. It seems Nokia isn't sure if people like the word, or even know it...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Commentator (Posts: 2571; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I'm a bigger fan of Tablone. Or Smablet. Or Smabletone.
2. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Anything above 5 inch to 6.3 is classed as Phablet™
3. Commentator (Posts: 2571; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Or Phoblet. Or Smartlet Tabone. Or Phart Tone.
52. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6807; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I hate the name Phablet. but don't care as long screen size are 5" or higher.
10. Mrmark (Posts: 172; Member since: 26 Jan 2013)
I would say 5.3 - 6.4 is phablet if and only if it has phone capabilities!
14. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9078; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Then the Xperia Ultra is a tablet with it's 6.44" screen then.
37. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2913; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I think the entire idea of the word "phablet" is ridiculous. The original Galaxy Note at 5.3" is a phablet, but the LG G2 at 5.2" is not? There's a .1" difference! What about the original phablet, the Dell Streak? That was 5". Personally, I think they're all just phones.
49. Trololol (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
They just getting bigger and bigger, maybe smartphones will be 5.5" or 6" and tablet will be 14" - 20" in the next year
26. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2015; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Sooo,, i should consider my genitals, a "phablet XXL"?? LoL jp, and yea i agree
45. akki20892 (Posts: 3706; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Phablet is the best name for device screen is between 5 to 6.5. And smartphones is between 3 to 5.
51. akki20892 (Posts: 3706; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
or Phablet is between 5.5 to 6.5 and smartphone is 3 to 5.5
4. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1010; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
I like what Nokia is doing because they want the public's opinion on a proper definition of their first 5+ inch phone. I like "phablet" myself
5. Commentator (Posts: 2571; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I'd be a fan of "notepad" if the word hadn't already basically been hijacked by Samsung.
24. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Padphone would be nice. But asus have it.
30. SingDaFire (Posts: 74; Member since: 21 Jun 2013)
Tabphone will be great or how bout Tabby , eg. Carla - hi honey can you pass me my tabby please or hi honey can you pass me my tabphone please. I think its easier
31. SingDaFire (Posts: 74; Member since: 21 Jun 2013)
Phablet don't sound too good , eg. Hi James can you pass me my phablet please?.. James - Wat?.. Your tablet?..
Phae and thae sounds similar so u get confused if you don't hear it properly
6. skuld (Posts: 44; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
what's more important is how the device is going to perform. call it whatever.
11. DaHarder (Posts: 175; Member since: 10 Oct 2009)
As someone who uses iOS, Android and WP8 on a daily basis, WP8 is the least likely of the three to suffer from any 'performance' issues in my experience.
Be it scrolling/transition 'smoothness' or battery life, whatever optimization Nokia/Microsoft is doing, They're Doing It Right.
16. criticism (Posts: 46; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
I think if the name of Apple company was Cucumber then it would not become as popular az now!
8. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I'm kinda partial to the word... PHONE!
9. gust3r3u (Posts: 84; Member since: 11 Apr 2013)
tiny phone < phone < big a$$ phone < "dude why are you talking to a plate" or "bro you got something on your face "
28. Zeus.k (unregistered)
12. Topcat488 (Posts: 1178; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
"NOKORSOFT" or Nokia/Microsoft is always late to the "Party".
It took Microsoft "ages" to come into the smartphone (OEM) side of the business. Now that they have acquired Nokia, They want to ask what the "hottest" category should be called...
GET with the TIMES Nokrosoft!!! That category has been named... It's called...
And your new company is called: Nokrosoft
19. androiphone20 (Posts: 1546; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
phablophone, I'm sorry but how I'd Ballmer going to see my suggestion?
20. zennacko (Posts: 236; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
Tabphone or even Fone(Phone)Pad [if it wasn't trademarked by Asus already] sounds better than phablet. whenever I see "phablet" it reminds me of Perry the Platypus (the word itself is as ugly and as mixed up as a platypus)
21. justsayit (Posts: 252; Member since: 09 May 2013)
phablet : the phone u cannot to use with one hand.
25. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2015; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Wrong... i use my LG G pro, with one hand, ,..im not sure will i be able, to do the same on this :-)
22. DFranch (Posts: 141; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
There is no need to refer to it as a phablet, at least not in their advertising. I haven't seen and other companies doing so in their advertising. The media has dubed it a phablet, so it's an ok term to use when presenting to the media, but the majority of prople probably haven't even heard the term before (people who don't frequent sites like phone arena).
23. LighteningMacKing (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
1. Smart X-Device (As in X=Cross)
2. Smart Utility Device
3. Utility Smartphone
4. Utility X-Smartphone
5. Utility Phone
Sounds better than phablet!
46. pookiewood (Posts: 628; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
I was actually thinking Smart Device as well.
29. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
Nokia tabphone (Ballmer's phone).
Whatever it is, just bring it on!!!
But don't forget to add stylus, flash player, and dual speakers, ( mono or stereo ) you can decide, you are the producer.
34. papss (unregistered)
They ( Nokia) gave me a 10.00 code to use on amazon for taking the first survey. I see they have sent me another.
35. Fernandezxc (Posts: 41; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
They should call it Pocket Pc and make it run an optimized windows 8 instead of windows phone
36. -box- (Posts: 3915; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I'd say go the Star Wars route and call it "datapad".
38. -box- (Posts: 3915; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Or bring back the "Communicator" nomenclature. Lumia.Communicator? Ohhh yeah. Legendary.
39. kimnurseboi (Posts: 2; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Phablet for me means smartphone + tablet functionality in one device...
It doesnt matter whether its 6 inch its sizes.. for as long as its a smartphone with tablet in one device...when we speak of smartphone windows phone 8 is an example..tablet like windows 8..
If its just another lumia windows phone 8 with upgraded version os then its just a plain smartphone in a large size....
The most important is honesty to gain back the trust of the people....you cant use the word phablet if theres no tablet experience at all...because the reason why we buy gadgets is that we want to experience something thats revolutionary out of the box and with classy taste on it...nokia
Is lossing the reputation and wish to comeback..but just concerned of the market..put all the highest specs plus a os like android..youll gain back the throne you once had....and lumia designs are almost alike and nothing much interesting just plain with large bezels...sigh
42. papss (unregistered)
I was with you until the last part... Looks are subjective not facts.. You could have four different people each say the same thing about SS, HTC, Nokia etc... Personally I love the lumia design with bezel.
41. R-vjn (Posts: 165; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
Why care about the name if its used as a phone. From my point of view its just a big phone, and even if its called a 'PHABLET' i don't really care.
But I would also like to say, anything bigger than 5.4'' - 6.5'' is sensible to be called a 'PHABLET', simply because its too large to be called a normal phone and too small to be called a tablet.
43. papss (unregistered)
In the survey I just took I said I didn't care the name as long as it functions.
44. wheelz78 (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
I'd stick with phablet. The larger-than-most-people-with-smaller-hands-cannot-use-with-one-hand screen & the stylus may be a key factors in the name but then again not all tablets have stylii.
47. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1205; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Nokia should name it The "Super Phone-1" This may be the last Nokia branded smart phone to come out. I have not read any Web based reports that any other Nokia smart phones are coming out.Nokia according to the agreement they made with Microsoft NOKIA can come out with a smart phone in 2015 if they want to return to that business. I have Always felt Nokia should have made Android smart phones and Windows 8 smart phones Like Samsung, HTC, and LG did. but they did not. in the End there are reports Elop had them Testing Android OS on Nokia Lumia smart phone bodies. I think if Microsoft did not buy them out Nokia would have sold Windows 8 smart phones and Android smart phones starting in 2014. Wow what a difference that would have made in the smart phone world, Windows smart phones toke a hurt in the eyes if many people because they abandoned Windows phone 7 for Windows Phone 8 which is only about 14 months old a younger OS than what Apple iphones and Android smart phones have. it's coming Windows "Blue updates will give it many new features to help it compete with the other OS's
53. akishakoi (Posts: 65; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
Simple! Regardless of what size, if it can make calls and send SMS, then let's call it a phone/smartphone. If it don't have phone capabilities, then it's a tablet.