Battle of the megapixels: 6-way blind camera comparison
0. phoneArena 26 Mar 2013, 08:01 posted on
If you're among the people who still think that a high-end smartphone can't be as good of a shooter as a dedicated point-and-shoot camera, get ready to have your mind blown away. That's because we're once again taking some of the best cameraphones out there for a shootout at the alley. Which ones we've picked, however, is something we chose to not share with you, guys. Instead, today we're having a blind camera comparison, in which you can vote for the photos you personally like the most...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
15. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Definitively not phone #2 or #3 or #6, i think it's a tie between phone #1 and #5, and #4 comes as a close second.
16. wando77 (Posts: 529; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Would prefer to see the pics next to each other for comparison
17. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
i bet phone #1 is the HTC One and #5 is the iPhone 5, phone #4 is either the Galaxy S4 or nexus 4, the rest are L920 and Xperia Z
64. vigneshvicki (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
hello in these samples one of the phone is definitely GS3.
25. daniel_bargs (Posts: 325; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
i dont know but i voted #4. on the video thing... didnt watch it... all i know was that Phone #4 was greatest except for the medium light
137. -Shadow- (Posts: 32; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
either that or #2. you can see OIS in the work in the video
29. geoffers247 (Posts: 19; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
Gotta say, with that selection of photos; all you can really compare is colour accuracy & dynamic range. Phone 4 seems to lead the pack... and wow, 3 & 6 seemed really off the mark in outdoor photo's.
31. moronman66 (Posts: 160; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
Phones 2 and 3 seem to have duller colors, and phone 6 has really vibrant, a little bit oversaturated colors... All of them are at least quality photos though, honestly.
35. vddeguzman (Posts: 41; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
To ensure there's no bias, phones should have been rotated per photo. For example phone #1 in photo1 should not be phone#1 in photo2. People will likely tend to stick to their phone choice from the first pic as they 'expect' it will produce same good quality pictures/video in the succeeding tests.
36. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
im wondering why they didnt add audio in the video part... it should be included for the video atleast
38. kdealltheway (Posts: 94; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
#4 has good light algoritam, but #5 seems more natural to me...
41. windroid (unregistered)
Nick T., does the lumia 920 have the portico update?
... it influences the noise and detail in the photos.
56. Nick_T (Posts: 158; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Sorry, can't comment on that yet. We'll post all phones' software versions in a few days, along with the comparison's results.
91. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
and please tell us whether XZ was on its Superior Auto mode.
97. Nick_T (Posts: 158; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Again, I can't specify on that since doing so would confirm whether the Xperia Z is among the phones we're comparing or not. Just be honest about it and pick the photos you personally like the most!
106. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
i meant after you have released the results.
42. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
i think the phones they used are iPhone, s3 / note 2, lumia 920, z10, htc one, nexus 4 / xperia z
44. qaisino (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
it is easily to know the phones from this comparison by going to the camera comparison between htc one and the other devices which was posted by Phonearena in the past few days
and the phone#4 is the iPhone 5
45. ubuntu (Posts: 40; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
63. Nick_T (Posts: 158; Member since: 27 May 2011)
The poll you're referring to was plagued by fake votes - some people circumvented our one-vote-per-person restriction and placed many votes on a single device all from the same IP address. In order to prevent abuse, the polls here are open only to registered PhoneArena users.
88. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
dont worry PA, thats how desperate Sony fanboys are :D
107. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
More like Nokia fans were! I'm recalling last weeks post where L920 had majority of the votes , knowing the L920 would've been the very last.
46. mariosraptor (Posts: 111; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
all in for #4 for me. it seems the most clean and natural IMHO
47. the_s2 (Posts: 221; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Phone #1 looks closest to natural. Phone #4 is the most saturated of the bunch. I go with phone #1
52. terabyteRouser (Posts: 457; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
apparently you don't know what saturation is
48. mousesports (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
doesent matter who win this comparison , we already know what they do with Lumia 920 , they are fandroid...so be sure there s4 and htc will be to first place because of the setings they do !
50. Whateverman (Posts: 3236; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Ahh, you guys took my advice on the blind comparison huh? I expect my royalty check should be coming soon then! J.K. But this is great, and hopefully this will mean the end of the "Our camera is the best" wars that goes on here almost daily.
128. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Ive been begging for a continuation of this, it shuts all the fan boys into place, people forget about brand and consider how camera fairs on their phones, I have to say most are great shots so you wont go wrong with either of them but this world needs a king, and this is sort of the ultimate fan boy challenge
51. terabyteRouser (Posts: 457; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
lol i bet everyone is picking the iPhone 5
53. Vikranth (Posts: 6; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
4 and 5 are equally competitve.. hope 4 averages more.. its upto everyone's eye... :)
54. belon1986 (Posts: 3; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
Phone 4 photo always get over exposure.. look at the sky...
Phone 6 has the best indoor photo for me...
55. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
now will see whether crying loud androfans, htc girls, sony liars and same-sung sissys are able to see the difference.
And I bet most of them will give a point to Nokia.
59. cretinick (Posts: 147; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
I think that the #4 is the HTC One!
I Only recognized in the last indoor test (low light). Is the more bright, but the ISO is too high and the picture gets all grainy...
61. pwnarena (Posts: 1033; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i'm quite sure that phone#2 is xperia Z and phone#4 is htc one.
also i really believe that this comparison is intended to highlight the htc one imaging capabilities. downsizing the photos works best for the already low resolution of the htc one. nevertheless, the higher res photos also benefit from the noise reduction. here we don't get to see xz's brush stroke like details.
if they upsized the photos i think S4 and iphone 5 will prevail.
65. Buddhikawi (Posts: 15; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
#4 is definitely Nokia Lumia 920. its not difficult to guess when you watched the video. Optical image stabilization really works..!
66. cretinick (Posts: 147; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
The second test should be split in 3. The low light test have a different winner than the strong light.
67. EspHack (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
im pretty sure phone 6 is the lumia 920, oversaturated colors and bigger pictures, also the video clearly has the best OIS even outperforming that panasonic dslr
btw phone 4 definitely must be the iphone... crappy zoomed in video and yellowish pictures
71. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 163; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
I think PA should wait for the update of HTC one that brings improvements to the camera
72. myclevername (Posts: 94; Member since: 07 Jun 2010)
Unless you are the person taking the picture and seeing the subjects in the actual real world then there is no way of knowing which of these photos or videos is the best. Each camera is different, with different settings and different capabilities. I think it's a personal and subjective matter of taste as to which camera phone is "best".
73. ar2730 (Posts: 42; Member since: 24 May 2012)
Phone # 3 that is currently winning in low-light and video is just not flattering to my eyes maybe I need them checked lol.
74. XYZ360 (Posts: 53; Member since: 01 Jan 2012)
outdoor 5 (impressed by the details produced)
indoor 6 ( had less noise in shadows)
video 6 (more sharper and does not 'blur' when moved horizontally and seemed to be more steady of all these 6)
77. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I voted 4, 6, 2 (not in that order). I think the Nexus 4 is one of the ones I voted (probably 2 or 4)
78. Taters (Posts: 4365; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I am guessing the IPhone 5 will take it unless the GS4 manages to hide the 13mp noise better, then the GS4 should take it.
79. RamiM (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Man that phone #4 sure has some quality in it's camera.
I do hope it turns out to be HTC One (fingers crossed)
80. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I wanted to see this come back so bad! I'll cast my votes on my Home monitor. For comparison reasons also some tips, for a possible next shot
its better to have them side by side, I know you like your new pictures thingy but for comparison I'd best to have all pictures close to each other in order to spot the differences quickly
Do them more frequently, it would be nice to do it every 3 months, like quarterly camera comparisons
81. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Phone #4 all the way, I wonder who's #4?
85. mobilefuture (Posts: 206; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
i think its the HTC One. It can't be the lumia 920 because according to the reviews by PA and the other sites, the outdoor shots of the 920 aren't that impressive whereas #4 shots outdoors are just jaw-dropping :)
89. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I think its not the HTC One, maybe Sony Xperia Z? :)
90. Esf_Kid (Posts: 49; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
i think so, my XZ takes perfect pictures both in high and low light conditions.
145. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
93. mobilefuture (Posts: 206; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
why'd i get thumbed down for stating my opinion O.o
96. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Because they disagree your opinion, its not a big deal of getting thumbs down right? Just ignore it. :)
82. ReddD (Posts: 37; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I will laugh if they put in a whole lot of random phones in here and we all got majorly trolled by PA :-P