Battle of the OSes: Apple to eclipse Microsoft, Android to eclipse both combined (in terms of units shipped)
0. phoneArena 26 Jun 2013, 10:19 posted on
Amidst market hardships, Apple may have a reason to lighten up. A report published this Monday by Gartner claims that its analysis of total shipments points towards a trend that may serve as the undoing of Microsoft and a break with one of the cornerstone assumptions of several generations. According to the market research firm, devices running Apple's iOS and Mac OS will outsell those relying on Windows (including Windows Mobile)...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
RIM (BlackBerry) only 1.1%?! (FAINTS) x(
7. wendygarett (unregistered)
The platform includes smartphone, tablets and desktop... I expect to be lower than 1% but this indicate the huge pie of smartphone, rather than other
13. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
You're wrong Wendy, RIM (BlackBerry) make tablets too, I expect it to be higher than 1%.
Anyway, wish RIM (BlackBerry) all the best.
25. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Here's the hard truth: up until Z10 came out, it had been 2 years since BB had come out with a new major device. The Torch, Z10 and playbook are all "me too" devices. That's a recipe for < 1%
14. the_best (Posts: 139; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
these kind of forecasts are ridiculus.
you have to separate the smarphones and the actual computers its not tha same.
Im not going to buy a chromebook just because i want a android smartphone.
26. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
You're missing the point. These are all computers. This is just another way to dissect the market. It's interesting to see how companies have spread their market share, even across platforms and categories.
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 17589; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Don't worry Wendy, your alter ego Dorothy96 is still active.
8. akki20892 (Posts: 3853; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i'm seeing symbian there 34.9% oh yeah....!!! lol
11. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3403; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
That is a mixture of Symbian, BADA and other proprietary OSs...
16. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Most likely Linux being a huge chunk of that as well.
34. akki20892 (Posts: 3853; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
no it's symbian lol u get serious dude. i was kidding did u see my lol there.
9. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Maybe, RIM should release desktop version for their OS
12. Dastrix (unregistered)
I actually didn't even see RIM there! lol.. Still wish them all the best! xD
2. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Android and Google are taking over the world!
32. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Check Google X
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10226; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Analysis these days... I don't believe a word they say. I hope MS gains market share for WP8 and wish the best for RIM, but realistically speaking, Apple and Android lead the market with almost a duopoly.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 17589; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'd hate to see any of em fail. Choice and competition rock.
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10226; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Which is why I don't mind friendly competition. The more competition, the better. RIM is doing a little better than it was before, and MS is slowly gaining market share, specifically because of Nokia.
4. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
That's because iPad and iPhones sold in total combined could match the PC and laptop sales which usually run Windows, and PC sales are declining. Only if all iOS and MacOS devices combined.
For laptops and computers only, Apple cant touch Windows in desktop department. Windows phone is still selling in low quantity and just started gaining traction. This stat must be made for the Apple fanboys to feel good about themselves.
27. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
It sounds like you're a windows fanboy trying to reconfigure the stats to make you feel good about yourself. It's funny you'd even say something like that when Android still had the larger figure. Apple doesn't have to touch Windows in terms of sales, their business model doesn't depend on market domination. They make more money with a fraction of the market share, and both their mobile and Mac businesses are growing, while MS's PC business is in decline and WP is stagnant.
5. grapeseed87 (Posts: 123; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
I call BS! Apple has offered nothing new to turn the boat around. While the current trend might sustain for a while, MS will not shrink in percentage but rather increase as overall customer expectations from Apple subside due to lack on innovation.
Apple has been copying other trends and their stocks are lower. Their techs are looking for rival tech company positions, which will lead apple to being in dire circumstances starting next year.
They could have really used Jobs right now.
6. twens (Posts: 863; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
It is true Apple is leading in the mobile sector but that's only there. Microsoft is still king when it comes to pc. And I believe and I predict that the future is for Microsoft and Google. Soon smaller and faster Intel chips are coming and w8 will be the OS running the show. It will soon be on mobile phones, convertibles, tablets, notebooks, laptops and desktops. The future is only bright for Windows and soon people will realise it.
10. Dastrix (unregistered)
Nothing surprising here. No matter how late MS is in the game, it is gaining traction. That's the most important thing. Windows 8 and WP8 are still in their growth stage, and when compared to the mature stage of Mac OS and iOS, they do fare really well. A good move by MS!
15. alaahershy (Posts: 34; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
enough is enough, we all know, microsoft for Pcs, Apple for iPod and iPad, and android for phones.
17. darkkjedii (Posts: 17589; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I thought android already had em both in terms of units shipped.
22. KiranPAUSER (Posts: 73; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Previous week another firm predicted in smartphone department android will lead followed by wp and thereafter iOS. So there's no point in apple overtaking ms in total shipment, plus windows tablet hasn't gain traction yet but it will bloom later this year.
24. -box- (Posts: 3984; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
No way. Apple is losing share in first-world countries. WP is growing and the improvements in 8.1 will help move units for late adaptors and whiners who miss the start button.
28. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
So MS will be the ultimate looser... Google at the top, followed by Apple...
Great news... Exactly what i want... Greedy MS should be looooooooooooose... HATE YOU
29. Dion25 (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
Not so sure why the new Xbox One is not added in this. But it's sure to sell millions for Ms by 2015
30. Whateverman (Posts: 3242; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Maybe, if they get rid of the stupid DRM, game lending, and mandatory Internet access rules their pushing. Hopefully they've changed it, but if not I can see the XBOX being another "Kin" device. M$'s greed will eventually lead to a significant drop in marketshare unless they change their ways.
31. mcshank (Posts: 47; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
pre-built pc's need to disappear except for buisness's and people should learn to just build their own. Saves money, more love into making something yourself, better products, Smarter consumers
33. iguano (Posts: 101; Member since: 10 May 2012)
ok... who are "others"??? because its dificul to me understand who have 35% of the marketshare of pc + phone besides Microsoft, google, apple and rim... weird.......
35. jsdechavez (Posts: 712; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Windows computers >>> Mac. Business just won't buy Mac computers for their prohibitive prices and limited productivity and availability of hardcore games.