Barclays Bank vaults ahead and buys 8,500 Apple iPads
0. phoneArena 24 Nov 2012, 14:57 posted on
Barclays Bank, a british financial institution, recently shelled out £3.3 million ($5.3 million USD) to purchase 8,500 Apple iPads for customer service; while Barclay's didn't mention it, it would seem the bsank waited first to test the Microsoft Surface before deciding on the Apple iPad...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. loyals (Posts: 129; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
an normal user never use android because of its malware n lack of secuirity especially for online payments n all, then y would a bank ? . n windows rt doesnt have any kind of good apps n resolution n graphics sucks compared to ipad. no wonder why they choosed ipad.
6. yowanvista (Posts: 331; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Nice try troll but not good enough..
"because of its malware " - Care to show me some real 'Android Malware' that infects the system itself?
" lack of secuirity especially for online payments" - Source please?
9. Whateverman (Posts: 3235; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Yeah, like that guy who just got convicted for hacking a sealing all of those iTunes account usernames, passwords, and cc informati.... Wait a minute. iTunes is apple isn't it?
There goes that whole "lack of security" thing. Lol!
19. Ninetysix (Posts: 1814; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Can you link this "itunes hacking" story please. I'm curious.
33. Whateverman (Posts: 3235; Member since: 17 May 2009)
After re-reading the article, I see that wasn't really Apple's fault. The guy actually hacked AT&T's website to steal credit card numbers from iPad user's itunes accounts. But there are a few incidents where iOS has been hacked. Here's a link to one story...
There are also a few interesting articles about 100,000+ usernames and PWs up for sale in China.
12. big.e927 (Posts: 94; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
Android 4.1 and Android 4.2 have a new feature that's called "bouncer" ,which has helped significantly in the malware department. Whoever doesn't have that build of the OS on their phone yet should seriously consider investing in a much more new and better phone instead of being cheap. The resolution of the nexus 10 and pixel density is 300 vs the 264 that the 3rd and 4th generation of the iPad. These are facts my friend, not just opinionated thinking that you've provided without grounds. Plus the nexus ten is not even half the cost of whatever iPads that this stupid bank has bought.
18. Ninetysix (Posts: 1814; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
This can be added to this list.
21. joey_sfb (Posts: 3824; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I help my school rollout out two hundred over iPad 2. Its useful as a teaching tools. For me, both Android tablet or iPad could do the job just that some prefer one over the other.
I think apple made great product its a fact just that there are viable alternative but for their fan like to talk down on others. Sheer ignorance and arrongance that gets to me.
20. joey_sfb (Posts: 3824; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
misguided apple fanboy. iOS and Android runs the same linux kernel.
Just attend both their iOS and Android 101 programming, lesson 1 to learn the truth.
30. Aeires (unregistered)
Fragmentation, DOA, lag, and now malware. You Android haters need to start thinking for yourself instead of regurgitating what the herds keep dreaming up.
Can't wait for the next wave of FUD, the last ones have been so interesting to read and laugh at.
31. waqas77 (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Ipad has everything right. They will play games with it lol.
32. loyals (Posts: 129; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
u want link? , oh wait . there was a article of phonearena itself saying android is very much prone to get hacked. .around 2 weeks back . search fr urself anyways u muct b dumb enought not knowing this fact.
enjoy with the pixel density n resolution dude.
oh wait...android doesnt have exclusite tab app for that resolution. so wat will u do ? ucan use normal phone apps .
wait wats the point of that resolution and pixel density?!!
no point , just show off n we dont see details just go after spec.
looks at benchmarks , perfomance wise .
ipad owns it.
its perfect n yes i want to get one.
2. kozza3 (Posts: 587; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Well good for them. I wonder which generation?
5. Topcat488 (Posts: 1181; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
This won't be the first time Barclay jump the gun to make a bad investment considering the trouble the bank is in...
16. Topcat488 (Posts: 1181; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
This is just to edit what i meant by bad investment, and the fact that Barclay were accused of fixing the rates % in the stock market...
17. Ninetysix (Posts: 1814; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Looks like AT&T got hacked. Can you even read?
22. Topcat488 (Posts: 1181; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Only the ones using ipads... Others customers at AT&T were just fine, can you understand...
7. MetroPhase (Posts: 12; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Last I checked, didn't Emirates Airlines go with HP tablets running Windows 8 Pro?
8. angelesmec (unregistered)
Wrong move. Checkmate.
10. wendygarett (unregistered)
I love this bank lol
11. Whateverman (Posts: 3235; Member since: 17 May 2009)
You can't blame them. The iPad is a really good product. It fast, smooth, easy OS to operate and it's not bad to look at either. So I can see why they chose the iPad...
But for my money, it's ANDROID all the way! I have an iPad and I loved it when there wasnt much on it. But i now that ive loaded 22 gb worth of stuff on it, it's slow, boring, inflexible, laggy, and force closes a WHOLE LOT! Asus Tansfomer, here I come!
25. bigdawg23 (Posts: 406; Member since: 25 May 2011)
What version? IPad is definitely slowing down and cause app crashes. However, my new iPad 4 runs as smooth as possible. IPad 4 is supper faster fast. I have a Galaxy Note that is slow down no matter the rom I use. Each person has there one needs and satisfaction on what they want to do. Since I travel a lot and do email and web surfing iPad is a much better choice for me.
26. joey_sfb (Posts: 3824; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Wait till you fill the iPad to about full then you come back and tell us how fast is it. Like notebook PC the system slow down as you use it over the months.
34. Whateverman (Posts: 3235; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I have the original iPad. Yeah I know it's old but, I don't do a whole lot on it. Web browsing, play two or three games, and I have my wedding photos and music stored on it. That's it.
13. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 203; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
funny 2.3 million divided by 8500 ipads means that bank only had to shell out 270$ per unit. that just goes to show how much markup is on those things.
14. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 203; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
lol i read the figures wrong. thats my bad.
24. Chasers (Posts: 21; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
the story said $5.3 million USD that is $623 apeice. the 16GB version is only $499. so assuming they got all 64 GB versions they still didnt get much of a price break considering how many they purchased
15. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
O no good news.....! Very unwise, unsmart decession!
27. joey_sfb (Posts: 3824; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Buying gadget is an expense. Stupid CEO would buy it for their staff. Besides you could never fully secure mobile device against data leak especially the ones the staff bring home.
28. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
theres never gonna be anything thats fully secure sadly, its what makes it funny when people try to say there os is secure etc
but if they want to do this i dont see how anyone on here can judge and say its unsmart besides we all know if it was a differant tablet running a certain os they would be saying how smart this is
29. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6944; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
It's a ibank world even Bank of America have the crappy iPads if i work at a bank it would be the NEXUS TAB just saying
36. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
seriously why do you have to comment, you just stick to the classic apple fanboy and give everything a bad name
cant you just be normal and fair in your comments for a day