Back to the Future! Buy the Galaxy Nexus direct from the Google Play Store
0. phoneArena posted on 24 Apr 2012, 13:20
In a move that may inspire feelings of déjà vu, Google is now selling the GSM Galaxy Nexus direct to customers - AT&T and T-Mobile customers can now grab one off contract for $399...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
8. GALAXY-S posted on 24 Apr 2012, 13:50 0 0
yea it is good news!! i might get it but i wonder if itll work with tmo 3g/4g??
12. Mark.J.Linskiy posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:04 2 0
Yup, "Compatible networks include: AT&T, T-Mobile and other GSM service providers." also "High speed data access requires 3G/4G HSPA+ cellular data service plan. (HSPA speeds and access may vary based upon network carrier.)"
Just look at the details in the Play Store..
17. remixfa posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:37 2 0
yea, its pentaband. its 4g compatible with any GSM HSPA+ network.
400 bux unlocked is awesome. Thats about what i was expecting to have to shell out for my SGS3 when it launches.. so if something goes haywire with that somehow, the nexus will be a great back up.
26. KingKurogiii posted on 24 Apr 2012, 15:20 0 0
the pentaband version doesn't have an LTE Radio does it? because if it did AT&T users will have that to take advantage of now. o:
35. sleepyjohnny posted on 24 Apr 2012, 16:12 0 0
doesn't. Plus, AT&T and Verizon have different LTE networks, so being LTE ready wouldn't necessarily mean it would be able to run on either network.
36. KingKurogiii posted on 24 Apr 2012, 16:19 1 2
did i ask if it had an LTE Radio that would work on Verizon? :P
40. issa8 posted on 24 Apr 2012, 16:54 3 0
Daang so sassy!
42. cellphonejunky posted on 24 Apr 2012, 17:18 0 0
How would you get a SGSIII for 400, I also work for t-mo and the SGSII is 600 outright, I'm assuming pricing won't change for it's successor.
46. remixfa posted on 25 Apr 2012, 15:17 0 0
because I get a 40% discount on the full retail (then we get taxed out the wazoo).. im an employee :)
Im assuming its going to be 600 again, but u never know. It could jump to 650. Its a beast with a huge following, people will pay it.
especially when they save 60-70 a month on the much cheaper tmobile 4g plans compared to the competition. :)
43. barondebxl posted on 24 Apr 2012, 17:32 0 2
You can't buy the nexus as it doesn't have exynos.
47. remixfa posted on 25 Apr 2012, 15:19 0 0
thats the exact reason I passed up buying it so far. But I dont have an exynos choice that still gives me 3g/4g.. and considering how much i need/use tethering, thats not something I can give up. Its unlikely that I'll pass on the SGS3 though unless they really monkey something up.
Now, according to the FCC, Jacksonville will be getting some of that ATT 3g/4g bandwith.. so My options might be opening up quite soon.
3. KingKurogiii posted on 24 Apr 2012, 13:29 3 0
this is almost a must-buy. the only factors are the Ones. o:
4. Chronos posted on 24 Apr 2012, 13:42 5 0
Google should sell more physical items in the Google Play Store. That should include the Google-based apparel and all three of the Nexus smartphones. Google just needs to create its own mobile gaming network.
11. networkdood posted on 24 Apr 2012, 13:59 2 0
They need to create a GOOGLE clothing line :-)
5. ghostnexus posted on 24 Apr 2012, 13:43 0 0
It says buy devices I wonder what else they will sell
6. PimpStrong posted on 24 Apr 2012, 13:44 2 0
On March 3rd I "DailyStole" this thing for a "STEAL" for $530!
To put the cheapness of this price into perspective - You can also pick up a 2010 model MyTouch 4G for $399 as well.
7. the_s2 posted on 24 Apr 2012, 13:44 2 0
$399? Woah! ............................Crap! Not available in my country. FFFFFFFFFUUUUU!!!!!!
9. bubba78 posted on 24 Apr 2012, 13:53 2 0
Man Verizon sells it for $650 without a contract. $399 is a great price for a contract free Gnex.
13. WakaFlakaD posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:20 1 0
$399 sounds like a good price. With all these quad-core phones coming out this year, this thing will be "outdate" in a few months.
15. imkyle posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:29 0 0
Exactly. $400 for a pure Google phone is outstanding, but with the HTC One X and the Galaxy S III coming out, they make this look old.
20. remixfa posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:40 2 0
depends on what you want. If you prize horsepower over anything, then yea, wait (thats what I am.. lol).
if you want an "apple like" experience where you get updates direct from the OS maker months before anyone else does, and have first access to everything, then the nexus is the phone for you.
And lets not forget its an HD screen, very good dual core, PowerVR GPU, an unaltered ICS.
23. WakaFlakaD posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:46 1 0
True true! Many of us on here mainly look for the "horsepower"!
I agree with your opinion about the Galaxy Nexus. This phone has its own special treatment than most of the phones out there. STILL, new "wave" is coming this year and we are all expect something greater than the Nexus.
29. imkyle posted on 24 Apr 2012, 15:35 0 0
I do agree with both of you. I have a international galaxy s ii and I really want an HD screen. If the galaxy s III isn't appealing to me than I will most likely pick this up.
31. KingKurogiii posted on 24 Apr 2012, 15:47 3 0
i'd say go ahead and pick it up now. it'll hold a $400-$350 resell value. this is a Nexus. i bet you could even sell your Galaxy S II to bury the cost if it's in good shape then when the Galaxy S III comes out it'll be between that and your Nexus and by the time it got to that you'll have lost little to no money.
14. salic posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:29 2 0
All of a sudden I wish Sprint was a GSM carrier.... /sigh
16. aztaxia12295 posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:35 2 0
the only android phone where the processor isn't such a big deal... so smooth! i love my nexus!
19. Mr.Best posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:38 0 0
Smart move. Seems like they're anticipating the arrival of the Galaxy S3.
22. remixfa posted on 24 Apr 2012, 14:41 2 0
if your on the fence, think about this.
grab the phone for 400 unlocked.
if you dont use a lot of minutes you can pick up Tmobile's $30 unlimited text, w 5gig of 4g data before throttle, and 100 mins plan. High usage with a tiny bill and an exellent phone.
25. WakaFlakaD posted on 24 Apr 2012, 15:09 1 0
Just use viber or bobsled something like that to call
48. remixfa posted on 25 Apr 2012, 15:20 0 0
or.. google voice, skype, vonage, fring, on and on :)
24. shimmyx20 posted on 24 Apr 2012, 15:00 2 0
This is an amazing price for the phone. Just 3 months ago I paid $650, and it was worth it then as well.
You'll be getting updates as soon as they come out, no waiting for delays due to manufacturer/carrier BS.
Despite not having as much horsepower as some of these new phones coming out, the phone delivers a very smooth experience
30. KingKurogiii posted on 24 Apr 2012, 15:42 3 0
this is off-contract which means that you won't be obligated to pay money every month for 20 months or face the $350 early termination fee.
32. JunitoNH posted on 24 Apr 2012, 15:56 1 0
Thank you for the reply KingK. Guess most folks took it as sarcasm; another question, I have never owned a GSM phone, is it possible to just get a sim card from AT&T? Not sure if I want to go with T-mobile, although they do offer best prices.
34. KingKurogiii posted on 24 Apr 2012, 16:03 0 0
yeah, this version is unlocked so i believe you just go to a AT&T or T-Mobile Store to get it activated. there might be more to it then that i'm just not sure. i'm on Verizon a CDMA Carrier.
39. Hotzb22 posted on 24 Apr 2012, 16:36 1 0
yea i work for att u can just get a sim from att and use whatever phone u want
44. michael2973 posted on 24 Apr 2012, 18:16 0 0
why dont you ever see cdma devises unlocked?
50. remixfa posted on 25 Apr 2012, 15:23 0 0
because CDMA devices can only work on the carrier they were designated for. They dont work the same as GSM devices.
49. remixfa posted on 25 Apr 2012, 15:22 0 0
ATT and Tmobile have similar networks. When it comes to 4g HSPA+, TMobile smacks ATT around like a little red headed baby. Tmobile is also way way way cheaper than ATT.
If you get good service from Tmobile in your area, its in your best financial interest to give them first shot.
28. simplyj posted on 24 Apr 2012, 15:28 0 0
can i use paypal/bill me later for this? this is amazing.
33. a1000smiles4u posted on 24 Apr 2012, 15:58 0 0
can it be used with any gsm sim around the world
a friend coming down to india thinking to get one
37. oldmandaddy posted on 24 Apr 2012, 16:34 0 6
cheap toy like plastic phone is not worth $399. Googles please, you have good software and motorola know how to make good phone. Can't wait the next , Nexus phone by Motorola that googles just bought.
38. johamsandwich posted on 24 Apr 2012, 16:34 2 0
This is great!
My 2yr contract with Sprint is almost done. I can get this and just go on a prepaid plan and pay $30 less each month.
41. issa8 posted on 24 Apr 2012, 16:54 3 0
So can I get a Nexus S for $299? That would be a steal also considering you can run ICS on it :)
45. cellphonator posted on 24 Apr 2012, 19:42 1 0
Damn, that's tempting AARGH! I have to wait for the SGS3 then I'll pull the trigger, it's not only about specs, but money too!
51. guyver192 posted on 15 May 2012, 19:06 0 0
I have the phone working on T-mobile. And its very fast no worries at all. took 2 shipping days for the google store.