Atlantic City firefighters depend on Apple iPad with Bible app for swearing in ceremony
0. phoneArena 11 Feb 2013, 12:45 posted on
Atlantic City was about to swear in a number of firefighters who were being promoted to Battalion Chiefs and Fire Captains when somebody realized that there was no Bible; coming to the rescue was an Apple iPad with a Bible app installed and all eight brave Firemen were able to get promoted and sworn in to their new posts...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. lolioslol (banned) (Posts: 182; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
Seperation of church and State indeed.
18. 14545 (Posts: 1447; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Clearly you don't understand the symbolism behind the bible in situations like this. It has nothing to do with church, and everything to do with swearing you will be honorable and uphold your duties. Please go away. You anti religion zealots are just as bad as the religious ones, and each of your are equally irrational.
19. BackHandLegend (Posts: 80; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
What's more irrational than a religion? 'In situations like this' it doesn't symbolize anything because everyone has different beliefs. If there is anything sillier than putting your hand on a fairytale book its putting your hand on a glass screen with an image of the book.
22. 14545 (Posts: 1447; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Good god you people are irrational. There is nothing inherently 'irrational' about religion. Notice, I don't mention a specific religion. It symbolizes something that most people in the world consider 'scared'. (I'm not just talking about the bible, it is what the bible represents in the situation)
However, I will agree, there is nothing sillier than using an iPad as a 'stand-in' for the real thing.
As I said, you anti religion zealots are just as bad as those you mock. Please do the world a favor and stick your head in a running blender.
Thanks, on behalf of the world, in advance.
23. BackHandLegend (Posts: 80; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
I would to escape this idiot ridden world of christianity winning over our laws in the USA, but sadly my blender isn't big enough for my head.
5. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
Bible is a holy book of islam too, plz dont speak like that' even if it was not our holy book.
8. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
and here is another Religious Nazi... dude i said about those people who did that! its bulls**t to use an electronic device instead of book..
20. s.mrabet (Posts: 123; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
True, but we have to believe in Mozes, Jezus and Mohammed!
3. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
at one side, english people are so advanced in modern day technology and at the other extreme they beleive in things that do not make any sense at allllll....1+1+1=1 seriously?
26. jsdechavez (Posts: 722; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
And I thought Steve's cult was a ruse..
7. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Ah yes, the two things that make me sick: Apple and religion
21. ocilfa (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
People like this make me sick. No respect at all for other people.
25. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
What 'people' did I disrespect? I spoke of an entity (Apple) and a superstitious practice (religion).
Get over yourself, NOOB. The religious people are the ones who dish out the disrespect by constantly pointing fingers and judging others. You are obviously one of them.
Can I get an AMEN!!! OOOOOHHH lawdy I can feel it in mah toes!
30. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Apple is the only thing making me sick. Plus this isnt real news
10. ajac09 (Posts: 1480; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Iphonearena you make it sound like no other device can do this.. umm there are bible apps available on the windows and android to. Whats the point of posting this?
11. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Now this is just sick, and i presume they watch a cermon on tv, America is loosing its soul...
12. haindelmers (Posts: 3; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Because this time, an apple device was used. As for why it's on this website, I assume it's because it's a slow news day.
13. haindelmers (Posts: 3; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
I think it is pretty stupid that govenment officials have to swear on a 2,000 year old work of fiction.
17. 14545 (Posts: 1447; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Until the Theory of Everything is brought to fruition, and the "god" particle is actually "seen", then you can't pass judgement on it being 100% a work of fiction. It's pretty stupid and naive of one to say that. Until god can be proven to NOT exist, who are you to judge those that still believe? Seriously? This is the problem with the world as we know it. According to most of you science and religion can't coexist, when actually the opposite is true. Thats the same for religious zealots, they believe that the two can't coexist. Does it all make sense, no, of course not. But it was also written by man 2000 years ago, and then translated by man 1000 years later. So please just keep your thoughts to yourself.
14. TheMan (Posts: 484; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Using an iPad (or any similar device) as a substitute for a Bible is one of those "great" ideas that should be followed by the statement, "Oh, wait, never mind. That was a dumb idea."
16. TheMan (Posts: 484; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I should've mentioned that there are about a dozen churches within a mile radius.
15. kindlefireowner (Posts: 503; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
The Mayor of Atlantic City fights with the Fire Department and Police Department daily, so the fact that it even got done is a miracle.
24. mambocream (Posts: 29; Member since: 10 Jun 2011)
I think that most of us here, whether Christians, Jews, Muslims, agnostics or atheists are here because we enjoy progress. Thousands of years ago they wrote holy writings on stone tablets. Then came papyrus, scrolls, the codex and bound books. The next natural evolution of reading IS electronic media. Or should they go back and start swearing people into office on handwritten scrolls or better yet some STONE tablets?
27. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
are u serious iFiremen? Just go to a store and buy a bible don't use a electronic replacement. what bunch of idiots (meaning using ipad not a real book)
28. tedkord (Posts: 9999; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Why does anyone get upset about this? Unless its because tax dollars could have been saved by using an actual bible. If these ipads were brought just for this function with tax dollars, thats upsetting.
29. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Religion is best marketed SCAM on Earth. Religious compulsions breed hypocrites.