At 5mm, the thinnest smartphone ever is on the way
0. phoneArena 20 Jul 2014, 18:04 posted on
The Gionee GN9005 could end up being the thinnest smartphone to date. At 5mm thin (.2 inches), turn the device sideways and it disappears. Alright, not really, but it is an extremely thin profile and a nice bit of engineering. To put this in perspective, the Apple iPhone 5s, hardly a fatty, is 7.6mm thin. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is 8.1mm thick...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
33. steedsofwar (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Oct 2013)
Pretty decent looking device. I love their gionee 5, the metal slim phone. Really impressed with gionee. Shame the software is not as optimised as Google's is on a nexus.
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6944; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Now that's what I called a phone :)
26. medtxa (Posts: 544; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
how you get it snap i wonder? even at 5mm thicknes. phone are strong enough for normal use not different with 7 inch tablet at 7mm thicknes.
2. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
I can dip it in my cup of milk and have it for breakfast. Anyone still remember Motorola's commercial for their RAZR smartphones?
11. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
on/modules/36294903/disp/d3d39 22262069cd517075e98f9b4683c.jp g
Here you go mate. Can't find their advertisement for their flip phones though
15. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Great if your wearing
22. Vexify (banned) (Posts: 570; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
Are you one of those materialistic Russians?
23. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
The avatar represents
30. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 212; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
CANALI is the best...Hugo Boss is pretty good stuff as well.
31. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I love designer brand clothed
4. na7noo7 (Posts: 274; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Gionee Elife S5.5: 5.5mm thick
Gionee GN9005: 5mm thick
Gionee Elife S4.5: 4.5mm thick
Gionee GN9004: 4mm thick
Gionee Elife S3.0: 3mm thick
Gionee GN9002: 2mm thick
Gionee Elife S1.5: 1.5mm thick
Gionee GN9000: Not thick at all
10. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Gn9005 has better specs than this midranger
17. Busyboy (unregistered)
This is the GN9005..
6. TheOldOne (Posts: 116; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
or you can buy the AllView X1 Soul, 5.5mm for ~333EUR
sorry but phone arena is not having it listed
12. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Super sexy looking phone
Razor sharp looks
14. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I will be ordering the X1 extreme
Super concept looking
Looks to die for
20. Busyboy (unregistered)
Why? It's still stuck at JB 4.2.2 and I doubt it's going to get an update to KK.
24. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Makes no different if it doesn't,
The phone looks sexy
37. TheOldOne (Posts: 116; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
in the review they say is pretty sluggysh on 4.2.2. Not very optimized I guess.
But is good looking indeed.
16. TheOldOne (Posts: 116; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
and there is a review here, sorry it is in Romanian, but at least you can see the pictures (or use also Google Transalate):
8. gehrig (Posts: 210; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
Nope. With 2-year old specs, no Android KitKat, and a ridiculously thin body that will undoubtedly feel breakable and fragile, I'd never buy this phone.
13. ThePython (Posts: 497; Member since: 08 May 2013)
I seriously hope the whole thing bends after being picked up. This is ridiculous.
28. medtxa (Posts: 544; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
it looks like you are very upset at how thin this phone 'ridiculous' are. you are just jealous.
29. gehrig (Posts: 210; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
OR... he could be upset with making a phone that skips out on good specs to use it's thiness as a marketing gimmick. Either one.
25. medtxa (Posts: 544; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
excelent engineering indeed. and there apple struggle to get at 7mm point thicknes and with a mere 1800mah battery? just saying apple enginnering suck here. big name company always have have alot compromise with sales and profit at designing the product rather than show their true capability.
34. Iodine (Posts: 721; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Maybe it's 2050 mAh vs 1810 mAh battery, but that honestly doesn't mean anything. Some people here maybe remember lessons of physics where we learned that the workforce done by electricity is equal to current multiplied by voltage. That means you can't just take the current and know how much energy a battery contains. Well even then we can make a comparison purely from current but only when comparing batteries with same voltages. 99% of phones now have 3,72 or 3,82 V. Gionee is almost certainly fooling us as they intentionally decreased the voltage to bump up the current, but whatever they did the battery is still the same size: crap
So they either have really, really bad power managment, or the battery is too small. But we will still need a teardown to prove that.
32. a_tumiwa (Posts: 347; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
they need to marketed it as 4.99 mm or under 5mm
35. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3667; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Meh, I never get the craze of ultra thin phones. I mean 7.5 to 9.5mm is just perfect. If there's one thing I hate bout my moto G is the bulky nature....huge bezels, 12mm thick body(curves help though, its thin at edges).
38. gehrig (Posts: 210; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
Yep. i like thin phones so that when i put a case on them, they're about 9mm. Anything below that thickness feels too light and like it doesn't have any substance.