Are smartphones the new cigarettes: four reasons why
1. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 799; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
The cancer part of smartphone use is not yet proven to full extent, but cancer from smoking is proven over and over again for a long time.
2. tigermcm (Posts: 595; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
lol why the the cancer make him look like a mutant from a cartoon?
3. Giggity (Posts: 147; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Here's a cure: go back to the good old days and use "dumb" phones with no texting or wi-fi capabilities.
And for those that are paranoid about cell phones and cancer: stop using cell phone altogether.
4. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 366; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
it could be cancerous because of the phone's radiation, resulting abnormal cells causing tumor which is called cancer.
6. wrxinsane (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Jan 2012)
WRONG, electromagnetic radiation is only proven to cause cancer if it is a form of ionizing radiation, (ultra-violet and higher frequencies). The only proven harmful side effects from non-ionizing radiation is that it heats biological tissue (like a microwave heats your food) but it is directly related to power. A typical microwave emits radio waves at about 1000W, while a cellular radio has a max power emission of around 2W.
10. downphoenix (Posts: 2134; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
science and research can continually advance. Back in the day people didnt find a link between smoking and cancer, now it is one of the leadest causes of it. Who's to say Cell phones may not be amongst it a couple decades from now?
11. wrxinsane (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Jan 2012)
That is certainly a possibility, however, highly unlikely considering "back in the day" cancer was not researched and funded like it is today, even taking into account inflation. It makes sense that it took a while to realize smoking caused cancer when few, if any, organizations were researching it. Since the beginning of cell phones, it has been researched as to whether or not non-ionizing radiation is linked to cancer, but still no evidence.
Another point-of-view: why waste time on speculation when no evidence exists? If everyone did that we would all be sitting around going crazy thinking "everything on earth could cause cancer, we just won't know until science figures it out in a couple of decades."
5. ibap (Posts: 666; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
Some people will become addicted to almost anything. How about addiction to the NFL, NBA, NHL - you get the idea. Let's get rid of those!
7. kshell1 (Posts: 1117; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
well last i heard only calling on the phone can cause cancer because of the heat and radiation that builds up but i only call on emergencys.
8. ilia1986 (unregistered)
According to this logic: Cars are the new cigarettes as well:
1. They are SUPER addicting - you can't just stop a car while driving whenever you want.
2. They cost a TON.
3. It's annoying when people use them in public - especially when you're a pedestrian who is walking by a never ending honking line of cars stuck in a traffic jam.
4. They actually CAN cause cancer - unlike smartphones.