Are pigs flying? Samsung Droid Charge getting Gingerbread update now
The Android 2.3 update can be installed automatically or you can push it manually. To do the latter, you first need to check "Settings" on your phone to see if the Gingerbread update has been delivered to your Samsung Droid Charge. If you haven't received your portion of Gingerbread yet, don't worry. Verizon has set that the update could take as long as two weeks.
1. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5596; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i got it yesterday and it's pretty great.
2. c.hack (Posts: 514; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
It only took a year for it to get GB after GB was released. Too bad its already obsolete.
3. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5596; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the Charge hasn't been out for a year. more like sense April.
5. krysis (Posts: 76; Member since: 14 Dec 2009)
may 15th i believe, my wife picked it up somewhere in mid may and it was only out for a couple days.
7. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Obsolete? Not for a single core phone it isn't...
9. Penny (Posts: 1158; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
What iamcc said in comment 7.
Despite being a single core phone, a 4.3" Super Amoled Plus display and Verizon's LTE make this thing less obsolete than most phones out there.
Plus, there is something like a 100% difference between 6 months and a year, so yeah. A little off there.
12. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5596; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
not to mention that it has SA+
the only thing this thing doesn't have is a dual-core processor and more RAM.
15. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Someone needs to work on their chronological skills. Droid Charge is only a few months old. But you're right, it is already obsolete and that's saying a lot since it's made from Samsung, a company who's notorious for taking forever to update their devices.
18. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5596; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it\'s certainly out of date but not obsolete. as long as the Charge can use Verizon\'s 4G LTE pipelines it\'s one of the best of it\'s class, if not THE best. that said it is true that Samsung is notoriously bad about updates and the sad things is this was probably quicker than most of their Galaxy S Gingerbread updates...
4. krysis (Posts: 76; Member since: 14 Dec 2009)
it only took 6 months since the phone was released. compare that to say, the thunderbolt that received it 7 months after it came out. see? samsung doesn't suck THAT much at ota's.
6. hannaahh19 (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
I want it pushed to my phone! I got mine the 15th when it came out! Waiting stinks!
8. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
GB is awesome - my captivate became nice smooth running - now running FUSION KK4, for the kids to play with. I hear Moto/Verizon is better with updates than Sammy/.AT&T....looking forward to some razor-cutting ICS goodness by end of year.
10. christianqwerty (Posts: 460; Member since: 05 May 2011)
6th months for an already old update....?
16. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Or get a better phone, preferably by someone who actually cares about getting updates out on time.
23. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5596; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
20. jtseals (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Apps, Software & Media
Software Update: DROID CHARGE BY SAMSUNG - COMING SOON!
Benefits of Software Upgrade (*PDF)
Benefits of downloading and installing the new software enhancements.
Software Update Instructions (*PDF)
Download the latest software for your DROID CHARGE BY SAMSUNG
Go to Support
*To view the PDF, you may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
i wanna know to the people who said they have got it how when you look online at verizons site it says coming soon
21. alkspa (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Any idea if GB will help with battery performance? I think that is a big drawback with my Charge.
24. wireless1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
Got the update a few days ago.. So far no flaws! Software runs smooth and my benchmark score went up!
25. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5596; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah it should finally be using that ext4 file system now.
26. countrycoyote (Posts: 2; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
Rooted running GB 2.3.6 EP4, debloated using Fileslick, installed CPU Master overclock, Autokiller Memory manager & the battery runs all day moderate use no charging necessary.
27. countrycoyote (Posts: 2; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
Just loaded Humble 5.0 on Gingerbread 2.3.6 EP4P with HumbleComb theme, V8 Supercharger, imoseyon 4.0 battery runs well, very snappy, looks clean, no overclock as it's not possible yet being the source hasn't been broken but 1000 Mhz on the clock is enough.
I really recommend the Humble environment. It runs smooth.