Apple's stock down more than 5% after reporting earnings miss
0. phoneArena 24 Jul 2012, 15:54 posted on
Apple's stock cratered more than 5% in after hours trading on Tuesday after the tech titan reported a huge miss with its fiscal third quarter earnings; with Wall Street expecting $10.37 a share for the period, Apple reported $9.32...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. cptbeatstix (Posts: 101; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
I think we now know why Apple is asking for 2.525 billion from Sammy now.
34. Angkor (Posts: 108; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Apple made $8.8 billions in profit stock is nothing compare to cash in hand of $120 billions.
40. jogutier (Posts: 324; Member since: 12 Feb 2010)
Would it be too much to say people are getting smarter with technology and buying Android products. :)
57. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
I guess they are waiting for the next iPhone.
3. cptbeatstix (Posts: 101; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
I think the lawsuits are what's damaging the company.
6. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, the lawyers are making out like bandits.
11. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
naw i believe its what everyone expected it to be... upgrades are being held for the iPhone 5. as well as some of those sells were lost to high end android phones.
19. superguy (Posts: 293; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Maybe not. I'd expect that more of Q3 with Apple putting the 4S on sale to dump inventory for the 5. Q2 was still sufficiently far away from that.
4. cptbeatstix (Posts: 101; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
Bloomberg released some info on this.
35. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Another info from reuters which is a great unbiased opinion from an EU reporter...
47. cptbeatstix (Posts: 101; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
How is a finance website showing biased opinions. Analysts look at the trends and what not and make a prediction of where it could be. It just so happens they didn't meet the set expectations. Doesn't mean Bloomberg is biased.
5. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Great time to buy Apple stocks if yu ask me. As soon as the next iPhone is released the stock will probably be at an all-time high!
7. cptbeatstix (Posts: 101; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
Not likely, sky-rocketing, but might be lucky to hit 12-13 bucks a share.
41. MeoCao (unregistered)
My opinion is you have to sell Apple stock now.
The power of Apple depends on iOS. We can see that JB has far surpassed iOS6 as the best mobile OS and Tim Cook lacks the vision and skill of Steve Jobs to guide the development.
That's why Tim Cook is concentrating his energy on law suits.
8. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
They still grew, but they sold almost 10 million less iPhones this quarter than last. That's a drop of a third. I doubt it's all due to anticipation of the iPhone 6.
9. sudbury78 (Posts: 136; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
I am buying more in the morning. They have set another record earnings for and sales. Wall Street had too high of expectations hence the sell off.
12. cptbeatstix (Posts: 101; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
Have fun with that $600 dollars a share. But we're only talking a %0.48 drop. It's typical for a companies stock to go down like that before a new product is dropped.
13. sudbury78 (Posts: 136; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
do some research with your fancy android phone and you will see the P/E ratio screams buy. $600 is a bargain for the long term.
24. cptbeatstix (Posts: 101; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
1. I have a windows phone. 2. $600 may be a bargain to you, but like most people in the US, $600 would determine if I still have a place to live or not. But, I'm not arguing that it won't skyrocket or this is a bad deal at all. Sorry for the confusion bud.
14. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
times like this is when its a good time to buy. Actually, I'd wait for the next quarterly to see to buy. If they miss again, its going to be a nice little cascade down. Then you hold onto it until the i5 gets released in the fall/christmas and watch the stock rise a bit.
Then again, apple's biggest gains are probably over. In order for a 20% rise in stock price to happen they would have to basically make tens to hundreds of billions more than they do.
If you got in while apple was cheap, your a gazillionaire. Buying it now is more of a performing stable stock. If you want to make real money you need to stick to smaller stocks on the verge of a major announcement and hope for the best.
25. cptbeatstix (Posts: 101; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
Like Nokia with the WP8. $1.79 a share right now. Watch the WP8 jump it to around 7-8 a share. Increase is an increase and that easy money and not really that risky. You'll loos maybe 100-200 bucks instead of like 10-20,000.
43. jroc74 (Posts: 6013; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I WISH I woulda bought Apple stock back in the day.....
I can hate on the company for their lawsuits and business practices.....but like the saying goes....money talks and.....bs walks.
51. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
very true. the only downside is that they dont pay dividends to shareholders like they should on their profits like most companies anywhere near that size do. Greedy bastards.
I hate the word "greedy" with businesses, but with apple its extremely accurate.
MS, Nokia, Asus, and Samsung are stocks I'd be watching right now. Samsung is touch n go. It has a steady rise now ,but a bad judicial verdict will reverse that. However good anti-apple verdicts will raise the price further while squashing apple's just a bit. (and if they do get a bad verdict, let it ride down past the next quarterly earnings and buy it at a discount, because it will rise again) Asus has had a steady rise in sales every year.. and If/when Windows 8 takes off MS and Nokia will be by far the biggest recipients.
I would buy nokia's stock about a week before their first official W8 unvieling.. especially if it is a W8 phone with that Pureview camera on it. Then just let it ride and see where it goes. By the time W8 gets to 10% market penetration, Nokia's share price should be up 200-300% plus.
The big money is on the small stocks, not the big ones... but they come with bigger risk. The long term steady but slower gains are on the big stocks. risk vs return.
16. marchels14 (unregistered)
ha ha ha ha.
18. sudbury78 (Posts: 136; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
I am willing to bet the majority of you that claim to hate apple have an ipod, ipad or even an iphone.