Apple's shares hit 52 week low, Google's hit an all-time high
problems related to Apple Maps, and rumors of a decline in the popularity of the device that accounts for most of the company's revenues, the Apple iPhone. But by far, the biggest factor affecting the stock has been the feeling that Apple is no longer an innovative company. That might change, if the tech titan delivers a smartwatch, as speculated. The Apple iWatch could be launched before the end of the year.
Apple's rival, Google, is moving in the opposite direction. Google's stock hit a new all-time high on Monday at $816.18. The popularity of Android is helping to drive the stock. Although Google doesn't make a dime on the software, the more Android phones that are activated, the more mobile ad revenue comes into the coffers of the Mountain View company. Also helping Google soar and Apple flop is a report released Monday with an estimate that 58% of all app downloads in 2013 will be on the Android platform, while only 33% of such downloads will be over the iOS platform.
1. Droiddoes (unregistered) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:35 53
How do you like them apples! Burn baby burn!
14. Droid_X_Doug posted on 04 Mar 2013, 14:03 32
It would seem that Apple's time has gone. Not even leaking about an iWatch is helping them. There are beginning to be similarities with RIM appearing - chief of which is the arrogance about how they know what the consumer wants better than the consumer does.
Newton (what goes up must come down, and what-not) had it right on so many levels....
15. UrbanPhantom posted on 04 Mar 2013, 14:13 1
Don't kid yourself: Apple still has enough reserve money to buy Google, MSFT, and a few other tech companies as well. They'll be back at it soon enough, and there will be new patent wars as well. Android OEM's are extremely vulnerable, and one minor court victory for Samsung reducing damage costs won't save the rest of the bunch from being mauled individually...
There is room on the block for everybody, if seeing the level of animosity between fans of the different OS's, I can only assume there will be some bitter conflicts between these companies in the days ahead. May the best man - I mean OS - triumph.
17. Droiddoes (unregistered) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 14:17 27
"There is room on the block for everybody"
Not according to apple, which is why they suck ass.
42. UrbanPhantom posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:05 1
War and business are the same thing, and Apple is doing what they need to do, by suing other vendors that copy and steal their technology. You may praise Samsung for the quality of their products, but they were found guilty for having stolen Apple's designs and/or intellectual property.
Desire for innovation not-with-standing, the patent wars are about having to compete in a tight market space. I'm willing to bet that you haven't seen the last of those icky lawsuits ;o)
66. joey_sfb posted on 04 Mar 2013, 21:43 1
I love my apple crumble while I surf the Web with my Android device of the moment.
19. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 04 Mar 2013, 14:20 12
Just cuz you have enough money to buy somthing or someone doesnt mean that company will allow you to buy them!
Thats the essence of pride my friend.....apple may have more money but just buying google off is hilarious to think of:
23. Droiddoes (unregistered) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:08 9
Exactly. WTF backards country does he live in where someone can just go "Hey here's a bunch of money. I own your s*** now."
37. Hemlocke (unregistered) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:57 3
Perhaps you don't understand publicly traded companies?
71. willard12 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 22:58 0
Perhaps you don't understand ant-trust laws or the fact that a few billion is going to buy google.
27. nofear posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:20 1
How the hell is in the world that people sell a company when it's doing good.
36. PhoneArenaUser posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:56 5
"Apple still has enough reserve money to buy Google"
Since you claim that Apple has enough money to purchase Google I'm curious to ask you a few questions:
1) Could you tell us how much cost Google?
2) Could you name us maximum financial limit which Apple as a company can allow for commercial operations?
3) Do you already know verdict of antitrust authorities?
46. UrbanPhantom posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:09 0
Of course Apple won't buy Google; they'll go after the weaker Android OEM's, and so will Microsoft for that matter. Why kill the big fish, when you can obliterate their feeding grounds instead?
There are plenty of Android OEM's that are already paying huge licensing fees, and additional lawsuits can be brought forth, starving their already meager profit ratios. I'm not saying that I am rooting for one company to emerge as the sole dominant player, but if you think Google is safe, guess again ;o)
49. PhoneArenaUser posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:27 6
"Why kill the big fish, when you can obliterate their feeding grounds instead?"
So you think that Google is a fish and Apple is a fisherman? I would say you have interesting logic because looking at Apple's shares and various other statistics, we can clearly see that fish is eating a fisherman.
59. _PHug_ posted on 04 Mar 2013, 17:34 5
Wait... so you're hoping for lawsuits to bring Apple back, not their products?
67. joey_sfb posted on 04 Mar 2013, 21:55 2
Disgusted with hard core apple fan. They would support Apple making a come back via law suit not the quality of the product which is very little to begin with.
70. PhoenixWright posted on 04 Mar 2013, 22:36 2
Android and Windows wont sell their OS for Apple. Plus Apple has too much pride in its company to even buy those. the only thing Apple can do is a revamp and total makeover with additional innovations which I foresee will only come when Apple is nearing bankruptcy.
78. SuperNexus posted on 05 Mar 2013, 01:52 0
Grow up kid
its not about apple money, its about investors money ......
24. Mxyzptlk posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:10 2
So many gullible people in this article. Apple is doing very well. The iPhone continues to dominate.
28. ama3654 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:24 8
Yeah you wish, who wants an icon board to play with?
29. PhoneArenaUser posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:27 5
Sound like a desperate trolling. :D
74. TROLLING (banned) posted on 05 Mar 2013, 01:01 1
33. PapaSmurf posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:38 8
Mxyzptlk, did you not read the article at all? Apple's stock fell 40% since the launch of the iPhone 5 release. Based on your logic, they're doing well. This just shows how biased and narrow minded you are in tech.
35. Sniggly posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:54 4
Their sales are going well. However, their stock is sinking.
This is a case of rats jumping ship because they think it's sinking.
56. QWIKSTRIKE posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:57 2
Better read the stock reports. They are cutting orders every where. For the 1st time since they launched in Europe that they are not the lead phone being sold. In Asia, their sales are also declining. Analyst are not dumb, just unrealistic sheep's and pigs stay the course and hope for a come back.
I remember when Citi said to buy, and I can tell you then that they were selling. When a top performing "widget" cuts its orders and sales decline in areas when they were leading, analyst sell to people like you hoping for a rebound!
Then when the stock hits bottom they repurchase them if the data shows it is worthy! This is not meant to take away from what Apple has done in the game, but the MS Surface Pro, and ohter devices are now eating away at Apples weathered technology. They need to build a new mouse trap, and lead with innovation. However; I feel they will find that watch unable to make things happen unless it is so revolutionary that people have to have it.
I see the new Google Glass as something that is very revolutionary cutting edge at this point.
Apple has some what lost it's "mojo".
I am hoping they come up with something, because the iPhone made other companies like MS step up to the plate finally!
38. lauremar posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:00 6
Myxzptlk, you're on denial... Apple is spiraling down, way down, and you're hanging on its coat tails and going down with it... Hopeless!
45. lyndon420 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:09 5
Wierd name for a bot.
50. PhoneArenaUser posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:30 2
Wierd name but proper avatar. :D
65. lyndon420 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 19:59 2
It's actually an old superman villian that it's using.
73. PhoneArenaUser posted on 05 Mar 2013, 00:23 1
True, just Googled. :)
51. jacko1977 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:30 0
if u say so
54. Droiddoes (unregistered) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:40 0
60. tedkord posted on 04 Mar 2013, 17:44 2
20% share is dominating?
Mathz is hard.
44. QWIKSTRIKE posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:08 3
There goes my pivot, Fibs, and Elliot wave prediction coming to bare. Guess it's more than a guess and luck. The next true support is in the 300's. Eating popcorn. and waiting for the next play.
61. jroc74 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 18:12 2
This is gonna be an interesting comment section...
Good job Google. Apple....hang in there....
3. drnggaj33 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:37 13
the reason why is google not computer company ..they do a little bit of everything so they're not stuck in one catagory a other word for it OPEN minded ...apple doesnt do none of that
26. alps0975 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 15:17 5
This happening to AAPL becuase they became greedy. All profit is mine vs google which believes in sharing everything and making more money
62. jroc74 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 18:19 1
What makes all this wild...is Apple being a straight tech company...they should be dominating Google. But they arent.
Google doesnt do any hardware at all. Everything Google does is software. Before anyone mentions the Nexus devices...they are made by an OEM. HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola (Xoom wasnt technically a Nexus device...but it was)
Google buying Motorola might change that. Even then...it would only be phones and tablets. I think Google sold off the cable box division/dept. IMO that was crazy....they have Google TV.
Ahh...forgot about Google Glass. Who makes the Chrome Books?
4. rusticguy posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:38 8
$275 is correct value to hit so still to lose another $150 ... watch will help lose 50-75 maybe :)
6. protozeloz posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:44 5
Don't know, with pebble, rumors of Android powered devices and Google glass I don't see how the iwatch could be more than just an iPod mini
12. Zero0 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:58 3
$275 can't be right. That would be a company valuation of $260 billion. Apple has at least $130 billion in cash. They also have really valuable trademarks ("Apple" is huge, as well as "iPhone," etc.). Their assets alone are worth a ton.
I think Apple's within a few dollars of a fair stock price. Granted, I'm not an investor, but let's be fair here. They're a company with plenty of gas in the tank as far as profit is concerned (even if the future isn't quite as bright as it was 6 months ago), and there are powerful assets behind them.
5. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:40 10
I don't like bullies. They need to go out of business
13. tedkord posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:59 8
No, they just need maturity and humility. Most bullies eventually become normal people.
47. lyndon420 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:11 3
Yeah...once karma kicks in and gives the bully a thumping of his life. Maybe that day will come soon...hopefully.
75. TROLLING (banned) posted on 05 Mar 2013, 01:06 0
I'm hoping wishing praying GOD help us, tumble this bad fruit..
7. andro. posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:46 5
Apples rot,green robots can get continually upgraded
I said it before outside the US the iPhone is being continually outsold. I've seen the galaxy s3 outselling it 3:1 at times never mind all the other top androids
8. gallitoking posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:51 1
is cool thats how the stock works.. Google will eventually go down and Apple will go up.. is the stock market people chill
18. Droiddoes (unregistered) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 14:19 15
Yes, let's take stock advice from a barely literate troll.
39. PhoneArenaUser posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:00 4
"Google will eventually go down and Apple will go up."
And what if eventually Google go even more up instead of going down?
81. jroc74 posted on 06 Mar 2013, 19:21 0
Sometimes...a company can go all the way down...and never recover. Google could stay even. Or like someone mentioned...Google could go up even more.
What goes up...must come down...so I agree with what you are saying.
When, if and who it happens to...remains to be seen.
57. Droiddoes (unregistered) posted on 04 Mar 2013, 17:12 0
Don't worry they are coming out with the ipod wrist, I mean iWatch (real original and creative guys) and it WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!
10. Reluctant_Human posted on 04 Mar 2013, 13:57 4
This is stock brockers and analysts driving the price down so they can cash in when it goes up. Still nice to see Apple sweat a little though.
20. drnggaj33 posted on 04 Mar 2013, 14:22 2
the highest apple will go is maybe 550 or 600 but thats pushing it when there new stuff comes out but they're not gonna hit 800 again anytime soon im calling it now
40. ZeroCide posted on 04 Mar 2013, 16:03 2
It never hit 800 in the first place so its definately not gonna do it again.