Apple's response to SMS flaw: use iMessage
0. phoneArena 18 Aug 2012, 15:25 posted on
Friday's discovery of a 5 year-old flaw in the way iOS handles SMS has led Apple to make a statement and a recommendation for iOS users; Apple's response basically suggested that iMessage prevents the kinds of spoofing that SMS is open to attack from, so that is what iOS users should use...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 390; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
nothing's wrong with the hardware/software. You're just using it wrong!
didn't you know Apple is infallible??
13. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
You are using/holding it wrong!
45. smartphone (Posts: 160; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Apple is like a spoiled kid who never admits his flaws and mistakes.
How hard is it to say a fix is on the way.
Even apple fans had guessed the response but they are thankful for iMessage.
47. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
someone please find a glitch on that iMessage. Let's see what's apple's response.
SRSLY? APPLE? you sell expensive phones yet no fix?
53. StringCheese01 (Posts: 64; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
BE CAREFUL PHONEARENA! You might get sued for using that icon! -____-
22. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1747; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
This articles should be called "I don't want to fix s**t" sorry Apple, but not everyone has imessage
32. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Every one with an iPhone does even first gen
51. joey_sfb (Posts: 3928; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Yes! Only chat with people with an iPhone. Those that don use our product could rot in their collective misery.
Its so typical of apple that is no longer funny.
23. quickweevil (Posts: 51; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
Read the last paragraph of the article. EVERY phone that uses SMS has this issue.
So, really what you're asking is for Apple to fall to its knees and apologize for a flaw that every phone has...
25. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
Apple claimed that not the author of the artical. But I would imagine if it was also on android models that google would come up with a fix instead just warning to be carefully.
28. quickweevil (Posts: 51; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
Every article I've read on this says it's an SMS issue not just with iOS.
26. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 282; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
says apple. before reading this were you ever spoofed on a phone ?
dont get me wrong there are all types of apps on Android that will let you do all sorts of sneaky things but this problem is like apple said "SMS allows spoofed messages" & why Alan said "took this as an opportunity to promote its iMessages application"
dont like apple and i say it but never was a issue until it was apples issue.
technically android doesnt even use "SMS" it uses "Messaging" :D
31. jroc74 (Posts: 5254; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
The same Apple that tried to claim every phone has the specific antenna issue the iPhone 4 had when it first launched?
No other phone in the known universe could lose signal with 1/2 an inch of finger on the outside of the phone. Other phones have a Death Grip issue. The iPhone 4 had a Death Touch issue.
I'm sorry....but I dont take anything Apple says at face value.
The article is about a flaw in the way....iOS.....handles SMS messages. So....how does that effect any phone? If/when this flaw is discovered for Android, WP phones then so be it. Until then....Apple needs to get a fix out.
39. bachelorrn0121 (Posts: 57; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Remember the antenna issue.. they have the same reason that every phone has the same problem.. this is a very logical apple reasoning.. :P
49. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
What is everyone up in arms about; there is nothing wrong with iOS. It's the end-users' fault for not knowing any better and not being more iCautious and iAware. iSwear, people just like to lay blame elsewhere; that's what's wrong with the world today. You guys don't realize how hard Apple works to be perfect, only to be undermined by their own end-users. Apple doesn't deserve this kind of backlash.
52. quickweevil (Posts: 51; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
Weird... That's the same argument people use against malware in the play store. "Well, if people would be careful where they download it from then it's not a problem." Maybe they should be more cautiousDROID or awareDROID.
3. biglou508 (Posts: 11; Member since: 17 May 2012)
wow lmao i was reading the story yesterday and laughing at the comments by people saying how apple whould come out and say that people where using it wrong or to use imessage and i laughed because they wrote it in a joking manner but it seems like they where right
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Ha! They really wanted to use my response in the other thread, but they would have violated my copyright. And I would have sued them.
6. Hammerfest (Posts: 376; Member since: 12 May 2012)
I saw said reply... and when I saw this post, I actually LAUGHED out loud... startled quite a few people!
Oh the good times...
42. master0fursinz (Posts: 104; Member since: 26 Apr 2010)
Lol droid x and bloodline hit it right on the mark with apples response. Use imessage.
5. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Oh Apple, I will use iMessage if you make it free and make it available for ALL platforms.. :)
8. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Yeah, they will do that about the time they get to a 100% market share.... Not gonna happen.
10. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
haha I know :P wont ever happen!!
15. tedkord (Posts: 6418; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
100% market share will make it available on all devices, but I doubt it would become free.
7. mas11 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
How about you actually fix the problem instead of telling the consumer to do something else?
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
It is much easier to blame the consumer. Acknowledging they are less than perfect is the definition of SIN.
11. jroc74 (Posts: 5254; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
The more things change....the more they stay the same....
12. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Apple: use imessage
Customer: My friend has the galaxy s3
Apple:Tell your friend to buy an original not the copy.
Customer: But he says the iphone is to weak a proccessor with to little customization.
Apple: You are holding your iphone wrong. If you held iphone right it would have no problems.
Customer: How does he Hold it?
Apple: We don't know. Mr Cook what should we do about this customer challengeing us?
TC: Send him to jail for wearing a black shirt. We patented black. No one can challenge Apple's logic.
I$heep: Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah listen to the great TC baaaaaaaaaaaaaaah kill non-sheep baaaaaaaaaaaaaah
16. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
You shouldn't criticizing Apple so openly or using the sheep word in this site, the mods will send you a threat :)
34. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
I said the word "narr0w m1nded" and the Admins sent me a warning. I wasnt criticising was just making an observation on the other persons opinion.
Its starting to look like comunist china up in here, BUT in this case his comment WAS OBNOXIOUS and directly offending. Not insightful at all.
18. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Of course I totally agree with what you said
29. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
I agree don't use the sheep word it just provokes trolling and I hope one day we can have these coment sections free from them. That being said you kind of are trolling yourself even though the first part of your message is telling it like it is, apple does do that you said it in a way to provoke apple fans to get irritated than the sheep sentence well that is trolling. But on the other hand there is thos trolling on these sights that do nothing but hit unlike aperently because every comment against apple on this page has one thumbs down tells me that there is a troll just hitting that on every apple coment that is negative
37. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
I have an honest question... When someone practically worships apple and does not want to listen or see valid and relevant points from an Android point of view, what other word can be used so that the person realizes they are being "SH33P"?
I agree with not using the word to offend someone. but on another post when someone said "safari works just fine no need to download Chrome" I responded by saying the person was "narrow m1nded" and that they should give it a shot...
I got a warning for that smh
43. master0fursinz (Posts: 104; Member since: 26 Apr 2010)
Instead of that "s" word why not zombies, simpletons, pack rats, bundles of joy, cultists, the gullible, team i... im out of ideas.
17. cootersweats (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
My cooter tells me you don't know the difference between "to" and "too."
20. the_EDJ (Posts: 33; Member since: 28 Sep 2008)
I like how there's the one hardcore Apple fan down-voting every comment.
30. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
You noticed that too. I wrote a coment about that in reply before I got too your message
24. The_Innovation (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
This is simliar to a situation like this.
*walks into tech store*
"I'm not happy with the TV you sold me, it doesn't do what its supposed to."
"Have you seen our DVD's?"
35. wendygarett (unregistered)
Once again Apple has shown how irresponsible towards the customer :(
Byebye iPhone!!! I'm hyping the bb10 instead because bbm is way better than yours
36. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Wrong. Dont' use IPHONE should have been their verdict.
Insiders say they are planning to sue MDI for the use of word "AIRPOD" as dumb buyers would buy AIRPOD thinking it is IPOD as they cannot differentiate (as per Apple) between objects (Smartphone is IPHONE, Tablet is IPAD and ... AIRPOD is IPOD ...lol ).
They have LINDOWS Vs WINDOWS Case as a precedent to base their case against MDI on :)
41. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
i dont mean to sound stupid in this idea but i think BBM dont have an issue like that. though they are still down in the market share
44. master0fursinz (Posts: 104; Member since: 26 Apr 2010)
I dont think any other company has that flaw in text messaging like apple does. It sucks tjat even after 5 years they still choose to ignore it. Maybe there's a patent on the text patch and they dont want to give sammy or google the $$$ for the license or get sued on the patent.
46. phljcnth (Posts: 413; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
TROLLS ARE VERY COMMON NOWADAYS! LOL APPLE
48. Savage (unregistered)
Oh really? That's a very nice solution Apple! No seriously, who uses SMS-es everyday, huh? Its the era of Whatsapp and Kik. And especially, iMessage! That is one great app! So revolutionary and ground-breaking, its virtually changed the way we send messages! Yes, lets make all Apple users use a messaging client which works only on iDevices! It will be helpful when we gain 100% market share! Carriers should shut down their SMS functionality because we can't eradicate one flaw.
I saw an article saying Apple asking people to use substitutes, but not ONE article saying Apple will do something to fix it. What in the world is wrong with you? You can't even control your little closed environment? Can't fix problems that your own software caused?
55. OSFantasma (Posts: 119; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
i use google voice it uses my data so i believe that it must go through google's servers and therefore much harder for a spoof message. though probably not impossible. the nice difference is that i don't need an email for the other party to send messages i just use there number and it sends it to there phone i could argue that its much better then iMessage.