Apple’s iPad inspires new transparent concept
0. phoneArena 01 Feb 2013, 16:37 posted on
Of course there are a host of technological challenges to contend with before concepts like this become reality, but...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
This have to be the worst concept. probably have a weak battery life.
2. Whateverman (Posts: 3253; Member since: 17 May 2009)
But look at the high quality build materials!!!
31. metalpoet (unregistered)
now if they do release a product like this and it has legit battery life, then this could be the first apple thing i own lol
7. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 479; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
The need for back lighting on a panel like this may be reduced in favor of ambient lighting, so battery life may not suffer as much as you might think.
8. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
It is possible that with new materials, energy density could be improved such that the battery would fit in the rectangle at the base. Processor, RAM and what-not could fit in the rectangle at the top.
IMO, the biggest problem is the display. There is a reason why most smartphones and tablets have a white/light background with text displayed in black - readability. Even the ones that use black background with white text are still readable. Can you imagine how readable the display would be with black text on a dark background? Or, white text on a light background?
29. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
i have always been a samsung fan, but am really disappointed after the build quality of my Note 10.1... samsung has turned just like apple in terms of quality of their products, the keep getting worst!
my next tab would definitely be the iPad 5...! also to get a taste of what iOS is all about :)
6. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
So... for all those that were accusing manufacturers copying Apple... What's this? Is Apple copying or innovation?
You could stay quiet if you're going to say copy, if you say innovation then you're a hypocrite despite whatever reason you have.
Anyways, I think this concept doesn't look too shabby (just the looks)... but the other fully transparent phone concept couple days ago was more impressive. Samsung's flexible transparent screen was more impressive too.
9. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
Or you could say some random assh*le not affiliated with apple came up with this CONCEPT.
That way you wouldn't look like an iDiot that didn't read the article. Obviously, that is not the route you chose.
11. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
With a concept like this start floating, it'll eventually be adopted with something similar. You don't think Apple will want to be left in the dust on transparent screens when everyone else start using it, especially Samsung. They will pick it up sooner or later, let's just hope Apple doesn't filed for the patents first.
21. 14545 (Posts: 1483; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
It's already being created by a someone NOT named or affiliated with apple.
Oh.....And samsung has the transparent displays....Not apple.
BTW, the concept was first displayed to the masses in Iron Man 2. There is no need to praise apple for everything.
10. MrJerry (Posts: 403; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Engineer: WOW! That's fxxxing awesome! How can you make it?
Designer: Well, that's your job?
12. metal (Posts: 11; Member since: 26 Dec 2012)
now an ipad has huge 10,000 mah battarey explain to me how would it fit in there
13. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Its exciting to see that everyone forgot about the Xperia X5 Pureness and LG Crystal
14. cripton805 (Posts: 1440; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Still running the same UI.... sigh
16. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Clear hardware design...........same boring, locked down OS.
17. calfonso1278 (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
No way you will see it on a Apple product !!
Samsung's Transparent LCD !!!
19. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Xperia X5 Pureness !!!
google it, since 2009
26. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
stop mentioning trash of a phone. its a f'n basic phone w/a transparent screen. it looks like a portable stereo remote. i hardly believe that anyone should pay homage to this worthless phone. just b/c someone did it doesn't mean they did a good job at it. McDonald's was the one of the first to do the hamburger but there a lot of restaurants that came after that offer a lot better burger.
27. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
So? It's still the first. Its not meant to be use as a phone, its meant to be a luxury item. "McDonald's was the one of the first to do the hamburger"... were you born that stupid or did you have to work on it?
34. 9thWonderful (Posts: 232; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
rgx - Ok, so it was first but I think the point CRICKET was trying to make is that it's not about being first it's about being relevant. I believe the first touchscreen on a phone was made by IBM (Simon) so does that mean every phone after was a copy? Based on your logic apparently it does. I googled that phone you speak of and if you consider that a "luxury" item, then I ask you the same question - were you born stupid? If you're going to be a smart ass at least have some validity.
30. jsdechavez (Posts: 731; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I remember that Xperia Pureness.. Even Lenovo made a copy of that.
20. someones4 (Posts: 624; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Why are these people so fascinated with transparent phones and ipads? Anyway, they can have all the concepts they like. Apple will still only make longer rectangles
22. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Aluminium gone ? Man what would "they" have to talk about after this because right now that's the only thing that "they" talk :D
24. lyndon420 (Posts: 4134; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I think it actually looks really cool. I think it will happen eventually (not necessarily by apple) because this takes me back to those old calculators that were completely clear like that with only the solar cell, display and the painted on keypad visible. You could only vaguely see the circuitry if you held it up to the light while holding it at a really odd angle.
28. MartianMe (unregistered)
Hey Afonso! I believe samsung n sharp have some prototype panels... look it up..utube.. in case you didn't know. But then again you are an apple lover i can see.
32. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Random people have been mocking up these transparent concepts ever sense the first iPhone came out. Show me one running Key Lime Pie then you get my attention.
33. tntwit (Posts: 43; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Has no one seen Avatar?
While this may yet to be reality, this is not a new concept. They had very similar devices in the movie.
Just do a google image search for "Avatar Ipad" (I cannot post the links).
35. 9thWonderful (Posts: 232; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
I think the design is well constructed. Not sure how the internal parts would be disguised though.
36. motty (Posts: 84; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
Oh i thought its a tranfarent clipboard? So where is the battery?
37. reindeer_nation (Posts: 14; Member since: 31 Jan 2013)
I think this looks cool, but how is it going to function? You can't just cram all of it in the top and bottom...