Apple's first touchscreen phone prototype dates back to 1983
0. phoneArena 30 Dec 2011, 07:36 posted on
Curious how the iPhone would have looked like in 1983? Apple turns out to have indeed been working on a touchscreen device back then as an early prototype dating back to nearly 30 years…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Ladies and gentlemen what you are now looking at it is the Iphone 5...........!!
5. tacohunter (Posts: 408; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Obviously they could've further devolepped this prototype. But they'd chose 2007 as a good year people were ready for this kind of devices. And it worked, I guess.
6. cober319 (Posts: 11; Member since: 10 Nov 2011)
That would have been WAY ahead of its time and would have failed miserably. Just think if that type of technology had caught on 28 years ago. Where would we be now?
8. droiddomination (Posts: 203; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
i wonder if it took to long to patent it that is why it never made it to market? does it have siri? or the WOPPR? "do you want to play a game" hahaha apple sux.
9. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
touch screens have been around a long time. I remember using them on monochrome computer screens as a kid. The I played the original leisure suite larry on an orange monochrome touch screen lol.
just remember, the password is "ken sent me" :)
10. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
those were toys remix.. not gadgets.. lol
17. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
when it costs about 4 grand for a computer with that tech.. its no toy. You are a tarded chickenhead. Just thought I'd remind u.
11. jibraihimi (Posts: 741; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Is this ipad 2s......??? The trimmed down, and low cost version of ipad2 to compete with Kindle Fire........ !!!!!
12. chapizzo (Posts: 116; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
wow, so apple is the inventor of all things cool. Thanks iphonearena! You just had to let us know.
14. godsarmylds (Posts: 36; Member since: 05 Mar 2010)
Cute article. But interested we're you got your info. Looking the picture. Looks like they were testing a device that can send e-checks and any other data via through its phone service like a fax machine. And ths product was an all in one product that can be a phone or data data transfered device that all went through your phone line. Not having anything to do with an iphone concept. You wouldnt say old egypt was working on the US dollar bill cause they built pyramids. But had a different purpose. Yes, ill give you that the iphone and the all in one product have more similarities. But from the picture I see that this product was an all in one concept that never was inproduction because of the lack of it being a good idea. So, just curious, did you find the pictures on google and decided to formulate your own ideasor do you actually have actual info??
18. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
exactly... this has nothing to do with the iPhone concept...
any implementation of the touchscreen is today connected to the iPhone? that's just crazy... Apple didn't make the first smartphone, neither the first touchscreen, nor the first touchscreen smartphone...
19. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
But they never invented the touch screen.
20. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
And of course google was working with theirs in 1982, right fandroids? lol.