Apple's Lightning to 30-pin Adapter will set you back $30 for hooking older accessories, video out is no go
0. phoneArena 12 Sep 2012, 15:41 posted on
Apple just listed in its store the adapter that connects the old 30-pin dock connector that assorted accessories still carry, to the new 8-pin Lightning one on the bottom of the iPhone 5...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. htc_prep (Posts: 303; Member since: 09 Oct 2009)
we knew that it wasnt going to be the cheapest solution but then again quality isnt always cheap.
even once 3rd party adapters begin to roll out i would still purchase the official Apple solution because its cut explicitly for the device ensuring that your old 30 pin doesnt get damaged and it doesnt damage your port on your device.
also it ensures that the current being pulled is kept in check ensuring that it doesnt over charge and short out your device or charge too low and killing the lithium ion cells in your battery.
7. Captain_Doug (Posts: 727; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
You're right. No one else could come up with all that. Especially a big accessory company that, you know, has made iphone accessories for the past 4 years. I'm sure no one is up to Apples level of accessory making.
2. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
No video OR audio out? That kills a lot of docking solutions.
4. devildlm1 (Posts: 65; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
I'm assuming it has audio out but not ipod out; the car/dock interface feature
10. rcrider4 (Posts: 118; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)
It is probably due to the new digital system the dock uses. The old dock did it in a different way, and thus when you use the old dock on the new connector, it will not accept the signals in the same way the phone puts them out.
5. surethom (Posts: 91; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
The new ipod nano has the dock port non centre so it will look silly on this adapter & on a dock with the new port, why not middle apple made to much a compromise by putting it non centre.
6. Whateverman (Posts: 3060; Member since: 17 May 2009)
This should really piss off some of the upgraders out there withs docks all over there homes. The 30 pin dock was a must have for audio systems now, so if you have one in your car, and a couple in your home... Will the upgrade be worth having to replace all that stuff?
8. edgarttr69 (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
whit all that money i get a s3 battery......
9. downphoenix (Posts: 1987; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
$30 for a piece of plastic and some circuitry that costs about 40 cents to manufacture. Sounds like an Apple accessory to me!
11. ibap (Posts: 650; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
You know that someone is going to address the missing features, and make a bunch of money doing it.