Apple's App Store hits 50 billion downloads
0. phoneArena 15 May 2013, 17:34 posted on
You knew that Apple would be swooping in to steal some of the spotlight from Google today, and the news just dropped. Whereas Google announced earlier today that the Google Play Store has reached 48 billion downloads, Apple has just announced that the iTunes App Store has hit 50 billion downloads. Although, given the headstart that Apple had in mobile, we wonder which number is really more impressive...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. Ninetysix (Posts: 2340; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
I don't really care but you know what? I'm going to click on the phonearena Apple article, read it, and post a comment. That will show them that I don't care! Really..I don't..please believe me.
4. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
LMAOOOOO exactly... He cares Ninteysix.
24. ZeroCide (Posts: 770; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
NO I don't care ! Nothing against the author but.... i was making a point does this article really need to be written. Waste of cyber space.
26. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
so the articles and future ones on googles play store arent needed either by your logic right?
5. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
1. Read article header
2. Click on article
3. Read article
4. Scroll down to leave comment
5. Click leave comment
6. Think of something silly to say to make it look like you don't care, when in fact you do
7. Type silly comment that makes it look like you don't care when in fact you do
8. Click on post comment to post the silly comment you thought of, to make it look like you don't really care when in fact you do
9. Repeatedly check for green thumbs to insure fellow fanboys like the silly comment you thought of to make it look like you don't care when in fact. You do
10. Awwwwww you care about apple
10. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2701; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Oh come now. Do you honestly believe Zero read the article?
35. askbingask (Posts: 22; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
take a look at this there are only 5 iphones but there are 1000's of android devices then also apple is ahead of android i don't know why so much hate for apple android fans are cowards don't know any thing they just bark..............
6. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
they both basically do the same thing....why is google play better? ohh because its google and apple is the devil right
whill you get your head from the lap of google come up for air and stop the fanwar bs
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Better is speculative, but it's a fact that iTunes ecosystem at the current time is deeper and more diverse than the play store. Play store is almost caught up though.
9. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
lmao the AppStore is garbage and is the most unattractive excuse of a storefront.
12. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
"App Store is garbage" is also speculative...it's also the number one App Store, which is fact...not speculative.
18. Droiddoes (unregistered)
It is also across multiple platforms, whereas Google Play is only on phones and tablets.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Your right, and as I said to googles credit they're almost caught up, but at the moment iTunes isn't necessarily the better choice...it's just deeper and more diverse.
15. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
kid theres no point you commenting as yur a cult android fanboy with no sense of unbias
but to entertain your tiny mind answer these questions
first why is it now that google play has caught up with sales and number of apps suddenly numbers matter yet when apple dominated those numbers you would cry its not the number that matters
sticking with numbers and going off topic but i want an answer off a fanboy like yourself when the iphone outsold everything by miles you say its because there following a trend and sales dont prove anything....now the s4 is selling well and suddenly your kind use this as backing to your fanboy comments that android is best...i could go on about now android mostly used doesnt this mean there are many just following but in your eyes its only different when its android
so try respond to this kid if you cant well go draw a pretty picture because im sick of your kind
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hypocrisy, and double standards exist in his world of tech. He's a childish person that's here for no other reason than to cause trouble, and try to keep the fanboy flame wars going. C'mon gmracer1 give us something good and childish with your response bro...we're waiting.
29. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
There is a new flagship Android phone almost every 3 months, and the iPhone outsells every one of them.
I've course diffrent manufacturers produce flagship phones, it's not a problem.
IPhone has been present from 2007. Android hasn't started growing untill 2009 late. Even iPhone having a head start, Android still leads in marketshare, over 50% as compared to 30% on his. Rudimentary statics knowledge is all that is necessary to understand that having one device with large marketshare is hard to sustain for long term sucess.
Android offers choice and is free and totally open OS, ups doesn't which is why I feel bad that everyone is forced to buy one edition of the iPhone, if they want the latest one®
Sad pathetic and useless, listen to you're messia...
32. Ninetysix (Posts: 2340; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Please improve your trolling skills. Android is a mobile operating system while an iPhone is a smartphone. Stop comparing the two. It's like saying that Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, Suzuki, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti, and Kia sells more cars than the Camry. See the difference?
34. ncarlosmiguel (Posts: 206; Member since: 14 May 2013)
I needed a cheap tablet for reading so I bought an iPad mini. I thought the Apple App Store had more and better apps than play store but I couldn't find the app or anything the same as what I use on my S3 whereas theres some 8 or more of the same kind but with slight navigation differences in Play Store (which is very important to me). So I'm switching back to Android and planning to buy a 7.0 Tab 2!
37. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Such a liar. If you needed a cheap tablet for reading, why buy a 350 iPad mini over a 149 kindle. C'mon man that was just a weak diss to the iPod mini lmao...nice try though. Notice I'm the only one that responded in any way lol.
39. ncarlosmiguel (Posts: 206; Member since: 14 May 2013)
Originally I planned to buy the 7.0 tab 2 wifi but my co-league with an iphone5 encouraged me to buy an iPad mini instead and what I meant cheap was when compared to 10inchers. And it was'nt really cheap for me though and Kindles are not popular in my country for 7inchers. And also prices here are slightly higher than in US.
And I never said the iPad mini or the AppStore was worse than the PlayStore. Its just that I expected more of it but was disappointed. Anyway I think its hard to find more of the app I need though, as it was a Bible app with a certain version. I was just disappointed from my high expectation from the AppStore that it had fewer (I believe it had none) of the app that the PlayStore had more.
I believe the iPad mini is a really good device overall but it just doesn't suit my need that's all.
8. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Now do the math for how long its been since each Store launched.
11. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2701; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Or you could have just read the article and seen that exact point made along with that same link...
17. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Nah. I hate reading. I just wanted to jump all over making the post, and gaining some trolled reds :D
33. bucky (Posts: 2476; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
No, actually you just looked pretty stupid.
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Also the link says gaining steam, not passed them up. I woulda waited so that my point wouldn't have been moot.
16. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Padded numbers when you factor in ipods.
21. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Why not add them? I'm sure they're adding all devices that run iOS and Android. Both OS's have phones, MP3 players,and tablets.
22. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Not a fair statement, when you consider that the galaxy players which are the same thing as iPods access the play store.
23. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The red indicates hitting a nerve lol.
25. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
P.A should make it so we can see who gives the thumbs on here
it would show the trolls and constant red thumbers that go into all wp/nokia articles and thumb down every positive comment
27. saurik (Posts: 86; Member since: 13 May 2013)
Dark's every single comment is thumbed down even though there is nothing wrong. Aw man! These red thumbs suck!
PA please let us know which trolls thumb us down.
28. darkkjedii (Posts: 20148; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Perfectly sensible solution, and make them have to leave a reason for the thumb down too, or not be allowed to
30. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Wtf is going wrong in here, who is thumbing down positive comments!
Now don't be shy, say who you are. Could you please stand up!
That is sad and pathetic thumbing, giving red on a good post, atleast give reasons for why the red...
36. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2701; Member since: 26 May 2011)
That is a fantastic idea! I'll send it up the ladder
31. jacko1977 (Posts: 428; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
fake claim by apple to make themselves look better