Apple will now fix cracked iPhone 5 screens at its retail stores
0. phoneArena 05 Jun 2013, 09:15 posted on
The screens on today's smartphones are big and beautiful, but also fragile enough to crack if dropped on a hard surface. The iPhone is no exception, and an estimated 23% of iPhones out there are in use with their screens cracked by accident. Fixing an iPhone's screen isn't cheap, but at least it is not going to be as frustrating and time-consuming as before. That's because Apple will now repair iPhone 5 screens at its retail stores...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
16. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6116; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
U mean they are paying a arm n leg for that price.
2. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Good customer care.....But TERRIBLE pricing by apple...they charge so much on such obscene objects and processes...
23. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
way to rip people off. $130 for the part, a couple minutes to put on.. i hope noone has actually paid that price
44. Daftama (Posts: 560; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
You would be surprised when ppl dont have their info backed up and they need it...money aint no object than
3. wumberpeb (Posts: 414; Member since: 14 Mar 2011)
Apple care+ is $99 for two years, not yearly... now if we could only repair cracked screens for iPhones in a Sprint store, that would be profitable
4. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
i can fix it on my own for merely $50, just buy the parts from ebay go to ifixit.com and you're done
8. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
$50? for a 4 or 4s maybe... i mean you can buy just the digitizer for about $10 but have fun removing your old one from your LCD, cheapest i found on ebay for a digitizer + LCD is $160...
22. Shatter (Posts: 1957; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Phone repair is way easier than you guys go around trying to make it sound.
24. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
not if you try and separate the digitizer from the lcd on a iphone 5 or s3/s4... they are fused together
26. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
not necessarily people have removed the digitizer from the LCD it just takes a lot of time and patients and is not worth it plus if you do break the LCD you are back to square one
7. mas11 (Posts: 1025; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
The first sentence made me chuckle, there is nothing big about a 4" display when most flagship phones sport 4.7-5" displays
9. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
$149 for a crack screen is equal to prison rape.
13. rantao333 (Posts: 187; Member since: 21 May 2013)
my s3 just cost me $199 to fix it. and took 2 weeks to return to me
21. the_best (Posts: 132; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
My lumia 920 screen was free, cos when i dropped it, it didnt break.
28. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
$199 for the part and instal is good. (thats how much i can get them for not including the labor cost) the return time is not so good though... who did you go through?
48. jaredjeya (Posts: 2; Member since: 23 Mar 2014)
That's what I want to know, cracked my iphone 5 screen today and I'm hoping apple will repair instore for £90 and not make me pay £200 for a replacement. Otherwise I'll have to go to the slightly shady "repair while U wait" [sic] guy outside the newsagents who charges £100 and claims that he has identical parts to apple, but who knows? They could be £9.99 and crack days after you get the phone repaired.
15. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6116; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Bout time they are doing something bout it. But 149$? And still ripping people off
25. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
actually thats cheap compaired to 3rd party repair shops. I charge $175 while most charge $200+
18. Topcat488 (Posts: 1108; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Hahaha 23% iphones cracked... You buy the phone for $99.00, and have too pay $149.00 for a screen repair. So if Apple ain't making money in the courtroom, their making it back in the repair room. :)
27. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
you have to look at it this way though, you paid $99 only because you agreed to a 2 year contract. If you go by the retail price $149 to repair a $600 or so phone is worth it. (with the 2 yr contract the carrier is going to profit way more than $600 from you.)
47. jaredjeya (Posts: 2; Member since: 23 Mar 2014)
You don't buy the phone for $99.00. Right now the iPhone 5 16GB costs £549.00. A sim-only contract with unlimited data (those are rare now) costs only £12.50 a month for two years from Three. But if I buy an iPhone on a two year contract with exactly the same allowance, I pay ~£70 upfront then ~£40 a month for two years (can't remember the numbers right now). But I remember doing the maths when I got my phone, and over two years the difference in price between the phone contract and the sim only contract, including the upfront price, was just shy of £500. So the contract includes payment for the phone.
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 10069; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Mine has been cracked for so long I've gotten used to it. 149$ isn't bad though, but I'm waiting to see the new one first.
30. FlushGordon (unregistered)
You freaking kidding me? $149 is ludicrous
41. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 163; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
These components expensive. Believe it. Subsidized phones hide the real prices.
32. PAPINYC (Posts: 2171; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
You don't mind that your screen is cracked because that's what iPhone owners are used to; it's part of your End-User Agreement with Apple.
35. PAPINYC (Posts: 2171; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
'usual stupidity' would be walking around with a cracked screen and thinking it's "normal"!
36. darkkjedii (Posts: 10069; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No that's not stupid, that's having priorities that come first. Like a wedding, my sons BBall camp, and other things. Phones don't make me dude, fam comes first. That's called being a grown man.
42. bachir8k (Posts: 78; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Then I suggest for you the Nokia 3310, the best and smart choice for a grown man, and your sons can use it as a BBall bat...
43. PAPINYC (Posts: 2171; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
In your case, a big oversized 'grown man'. This is PhoneArena, if you want to discuss weddings go to MarieCaire.com and if you want to discuss 'fam' go to GoodHouseKeeping.com.... whooooohoooo, I 'has' too many billz..... wa-wa, I'm a 'grown man'
45. darkkjedii (Posts: 10069; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You're losing your touch. You're posts have gone from stupid to wack.
39. darkkjedii (Posts: 10069; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It wasn't that funny, but you've been made.
29. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Unfortunately..these ''premium-feel'' purist idiots would rather pay a ridiculous sum of $150 for a fix rather than slapping a protective jelly case around it for just $5
31. PAPINYC (Posts: 2171; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
That sÜcks !!! If you paid $99 for Apple (dis) Care you only save $1 on the repair because to fix your Apple (dis) Plan covered iPhone 5 screen will have cost you $148; then, why buy their so-called "Protection" plan ????
If those darn phones weren't so darn delicate they wouldn't have this problem.
I once accidentally dropped my iPhone 4S on my bed and it shattered into a billion iParticles.
Save the EARTH: stop buying these fragmented fragile glass-covered logic boards.
37. darkkjedii (Posts: 10069; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Stop lying dude. Dropped it on your bed, shattered from that. Liar!!!
46. iUser (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Sep 2013)
Ok, I just dropped my iPhone 5 a couple of days ago and the screen got cracked. I went to Apple store in London and they don't replace screens here, it would have to be the whole phone (that technology hasn't reached us yet). I don't want to pay for a new iPhone (that's just extortion) and I don't want to void the warranty by replacing it at a 3rd party shop.
Is it possible to drop it in water (water damage) and get it replaced for free?