Apple will now fix cracked iPhone 5 screens at its retail stores
16. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6961; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
U mean they are paying a arm n leg for that price.
2. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Good customer care.....But TERRIBLE pricing by apple...they charge so much on such obscene objects and processes...
23. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
way to rip people off. $130 for the part, a couple minutes to put on.. i hope noone has actually paid that price
44. Daftama (Posts: 587; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
You would be surprised when ppl dont have their info backed up and they need it...money aint no object than
3. wumberpeb (Posts: 452; Member since: 14 Mar 2011)
Apple care+ is $99 for two years, not yearly... now if we could only repair cracked screens for iPhones in a Sprint store, that would be profitable
4. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
i can fix it on my own for merely $50, just buy the parts from ebay go to ifixit.com and you're done
8. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
$50? for a 4 or 4s maybe... i mean you can buy just the digitizer for about $10 but have fun removing your old one from your LCD, cheapest i found on ebay for a digitizer + LCD is $160...
22. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Phone repair is way easier than you guys go around trying to make it sound.
24. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
not if you try and separate the digitizer from the lcd on a iphone 5 or s3/s4... they are fused together
26. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
not necessarily people have removed the digitizer from the LCD it just takes a lot of time and patients and is not worth it plus if you do break the LCD you are back to square one
7. mas11 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
The first sentence made me chuckle, there is nothing big about a 4" display when most flagship phones sport 4.7-5" displays
9. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
$149 for a crack screen is equal to prison rape.
13. rantao333 (Posts: 303; Member since: 21 May 2013)
my s3 just cost me $199 to fix it. and took 2 weeks to return to me
21. the_best (Posts: 139; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
My lumia 920 screen was free, cos when i dropped it, it didnt break.
28. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
$199 for the part and instal is good. (thats how much i can get them for not including the labor cost) the return time is not so good though... who did you go through?
48. jaredjeya (Posts: 2; Member since: 23 Mar 2014)
That's what I want to know, cracked my iphone 5 screen today and I'm hoping apple will repair instore for £90 and not make me pay £200 for a replacement. Otherwise I'll have to go to the slightly shady "repair while U wait" [sic] guy outside the newsagents who charges £100 and claims that he has identical parts to apple, but who knows? They could be £9.99 and crack days after you get the phone repaired.
15. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6961; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Bout time they are doing something bout it. But 149$? And still ripping people off
25. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
actually thats cheap compaired to 3rd party repair shops. I charge $175 while most charge $200+
18. Topcat488 (Posts: 1191; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Hahaha 23% iphones cracked... You buy the phone for $99.00, and have too pay $149.00 for a screen repair. So if Apple ain't making money in the courtroom, their making it back in the repair room. :)
27. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
you have to look at it this way though, you paid $99 only because you agreed to a 2 year contract. If you go by the retail price $149 to repair a $600 or so phone is worth it. (with the 2 yr contract the carrier is going to profit way more than $600 from you.)
47. jaredjeya (Posts: 2; Member since: 23 Mar 2014)
You don't buy the phone for $99.00. Right now the iPhone 5 16GB costs £549.00. A sim-only contract with unlimited data (those are rare now) costs only £12.50 a month for two years from Three. But if I buy an iPhone on a two year contract with exactly the same allowance, I pay ~£70 upfront then ~£40 a month for two years (can't remember the numbers right now). But I remember doing the maths when I got my phone, and over two years the difference in price between the phone contract and the sim only contract, including the upfront price, was just shy of £500. So the contract includes payment for the phone.
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 14375; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Mine has been cracked for so long I've gotten used to it. 149$ isn't bad though, but I'm waiting to see the new one first.
30. FlushGordon (unregistered)
You freaking kidding me? $149 is ludicrous
41. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 168; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
These components expensive. Believe it. Subsidized phones hide the real prices.
32. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
You don't mind that your screen is cracked because that's what iPhone owners are used to; it's part of your End-User Agreement with Apple.
35. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
'usual stupidity' would be walking around with a cracked screen and thinking it's "normal"!
36. darkkjedii (Posts: 14375; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No that's not stupid, that's having priorities that come first. Like a wedding, my sons BBall camp, and other things. Phones don't make me dude, fam comes first. That's called being a grown man.
42. bachir8k (Posts: 116; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Then I suggest for you the Nokia 3310, the best and smart choice for a grown man, and your sons can use it as a BBall bat...
43. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
In your case, a big oversized 'grown man'. This is PhoneArena, if you want to discuss weddings go to MarieCaire.com and if you want to discuss 'fam' go to GoodHouseKeeping.com.... whooooohoooo, I 'has' too many billz..... wa-wa, I'm a 'grown man'
45. darkkjedii (Posts: 14375; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You're losing your touch. You're posts have gone from stupid to wack.
39. darkkjedii (Posts: 14375; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It wasn't that funny, but you've been made.
29. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Unfortunately..these ''premium-feel'' purist idiots would rather pay a ridiculous sum of $150 for a fix rather than slapping a protective jelly case around it for just $5
31. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
That sÜcks !!! If you paid $99 for Apple (dis) Care you only save $1 on the repair because to fix your Apple (dis) Plan covered iPhone 5 screen will have cost you $148; then, why buy their so-called "Protection" plan ????
If those darn phones weren't so darn delicate they wouldn't have this problem.
I once accidentally dropped my iPhone 4S on my bed and it shattered into a billion iParticles.
Save the EARTH: stop buying these fragmented fragile glass-covered logic boards.
37. darkkjedii (Posts: 14375; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Stop lying dude. Dropped it on your bed, shattered from that. Liar!!!
46. iUser (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Sep 2013)
Ok, I just dropped my iPhone 5 a couple of days ago and the screen got cracked. I went to Apple store in London and they don't replace screens here, it would have to be the whole phone (that technology hasn't reached us yet). I don't want to pay for a new iPhone (that's just extortion) and I don't want to void the warranty by replacing it at a 3rd party shop.
Is it possible to drop it in water (water damage) and get it replaced for free?