Apple wages a legal fight against Polish online food store A.pl for trademark violations
1. darktranquillity (Posts: 284; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
They should start selling rotten apple:-/
24. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
"hugely popular Apple and its products are in Poland"
I'm from poland. and no, apple producks are not that popular here
there was nokia land but now samsung took over
apple products are super expensive, many people buy cheap used models from usa
BTW in polish courts, never been similar case, and apple have to proove that it is so popular here
25. -box- (Posts: 3931; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
The only similarity I see (arguably, and it's a stretch) is the shape of the "stem" on the logo. While the logo itself doesn't conjure images of an evil tech company, I do see a slight similarity there when the correllation is introduced. They should redesign the logo to either incorporate the "stem" attached to the circle, and/or turn it around to face the other direction.
That said, apple is nuts; it's a fruit, not an iDevice, it's not trademark-infringing for someone else to use the concept of a tasty fruit as their company symbol (unless their symbol is a ripoff of another's).
Reminds me of the European parody where a guy walks into a grocery store and is trying to exchange his blackberry, and the discussion goes to apples and oranges (a European cell carrier).
30. DonkeySauce (Posts: 169; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
is Apple going to sue the tree in my yard for growing apples?
38. downphoenix (Posts: 2553; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Don't be preposterous, Trees cant be sued.
If its in your yard though, they can sue you for having a tree that grows their trademark.
39. ph00ny (Posts: 619; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Check your mail. You probably received the lawsuit documents already
43. jroc74 (Posts: 5201; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
When did Apple.....get the spelling changed to A or a.pl?
And no one can use an apple as a logo now? And ppl still back this company? Thank god I never got sucked into the Apple madness...knowing me....I would be ashamed to be a fan of their products.
2. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
selling food and technology?
stupid people knows the dirferences
3. MeoCao (unregistered)
The battle of 2 fruit companies.
6. Aeires (unregistered)
Pathetic move, Apple. Why don't you put the lawyers away and leave the world alone.
7. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 365; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
when ur focusing on infringements,then ur losing focus on innovation.apple is an example of it.
8. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Apple Inc. is way too much addicted in lawsuits.
9. wendygarett (unregistered)
Stupid Apple play stupid lawsuit...
10. B3BLW29 (Posts: 238; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Next they'll sue Fruit Ninja.. because it allows to slice apples.
Apple inc has way too much money n free time...
12. Aeires (unregistered)
Applebee`s put on notice.
18. andro. (Posts: 1977; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Fiona Apple is in for some serious serious trouble!
26. -box- (Posts: 3931; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Guess we'll have to start calling Apple Jacks and applesauce something else soon
40. ph00ny (Posts: 619; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Isaac Newton is lucky he's dead or else he would have been sued already. Maybe Jobs is filing a lawsuit in the afterlife
50. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
he will be sued by newton and einstein!
11. jove39 (Posts: 1385; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Since when people started eating Apple gadgets...whats is point of suing a food chain!!!
13. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
This is totally ridiculous. Screw Apple and I'm boycotting their products until this crap from them ends.
15. cheeseaddict (Posts: 49; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
black eyed peas' apl. de ap should worry now hahaha
16. andro. (Posts: 1977; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Yes indeed apple invented the word apple and the actual fruit itself.. It was Steve jobs who dropped the apple on newtons head. This is yet more ridiculous apple behaviour here
19. lyndon420 (Posts: 2085; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Yeah ok...and tim cook hates litigation my a*s.
Ifans must be so proud.
20. pegasso (Posts: 216; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
nine percent of a.pl customers returning the fruit after mistakenly thinking they were buying an iphone...
21. lyndon420 (Posts: 2085; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Where are the ifans? I'd like to hear their take on this.
23. jibraihimi (Posts: 701; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
List of things which are going to be sued by Apple Corp. next:
1: Adam and Eve: for biting that apple and making it famous.
2: Farmers: For growing Apple tree.
3: Everyone who eats apple: Apple will keep condition that everybody need to eat full apple at once, if they put one bite on it then they need to pay licensing fee to Apple Corp.
4: Fruit Ninja: for using Apple in their game.
5: Theory of gravity: Physicist should be ready to pay fees to Apple Corp. for saying that Newton got the idea of Gravity due to 'Apple' falling on his head; if they agree to licensing fee, then they can also use 'iphone' in place of Apple to teach theory of gravity. :) :)
41. ph00ny (Posts: 619; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Not to mention the name newton which is a product name of apple.
27. fervid (Posts: 181; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I always get confused when I open my fridge and those round corners on my apples look so much like an iPhone. Who they sueing next Granny Smith?
28. Lyngdoh (Posts: 225; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Confusion among the customers? Apple means that people will buy apple fruit instead of their product? Thats rediculous! Don't apple have anything else to do instead of hunting for an opponent in court??
29. Fuego84 (Posts: 304; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Oh this is getting very stupid next time they'll try to sue a tree for producing apples which could confuse their customers or ifans.
31. rsxl5 (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Should be added that it's a second trial of Apple to force a.pl to change logo and name ; first one was ruled out by governmental agency as groundless.
In Polish 'a.pl' is slightly differently pronounced so it's similar rather only if it's pronounced in English way or by people that started their journey with English language (just Pole's opinion here).
BTW, what kind of moron you need to get confused in a grocery shop that while buying a kilogram apples he would get Appel's stuff?
And as mentioned above, Apple is not so popular in Poland as it is in US or China.
Why a.pl? Because it's easy to remember and people are lazy while typing ; 'a.pl' should be short enough for most of people :)
32. Rayvelynn (Posts: 124; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Christina APPLEgate put on notice, smh @ Apple Inc. get a life
33. mukrenol (Posts: 90; Member since: 03 Sep 2011)
They are not selling similar products, what grounds does the evil fruit have to sue...
47. luxzy801 (Posts: 138; Member since: 16 Jun 2010)
They shouldn't have any grounds on which to file a suit. They are not in the same market, if this goes through, that means Ford could sue thousands of companies for making their logo oval, or Fujitsu could sue Toyota for the use of FJ in their FJ cruisers. Every woman named Ashley could sue Ashley furniture company for using their names, inventors of the palm rest could sue 3com for the use of the word palm in their palm pilots, Delta airlines could sue Delta electronics manufacturing for the use of their name and the Triangle logo, and so on. If Apple wins this, we are all screwed!!!
34. Volcomguy51 (Posts: 18; Member since: 23 Jan 2011)
So since NY is the Big Apple, are they in trouble too? If so, Ford should sue everyone who makes cars, the Spanish language should sue Ford for using Fiesta. Every phone manufacturer should sue each other for building phones and using either GSM or CDMA, a dialer, antenna, speaker, microphone, camera. And the carriers should do the same. I thought the Nazi times have ended.
35. gallitoking (Posts: 4693; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is a great move by Apple they work too hard to make what Apple is today and should not let anyone ride on their success
44. jroc74 (Posts: 5201; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I know you had to be lol while typing this. I can almost hear the laughter...
Because I know....you CANNOT...be serious....if you are....I know the number of a good therapist.
42. Zero0 (Posts: 591; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I went to the store and purchased a bushel of apples. Macintoshes, to be exact. As these devices shared names with the product produced by the company from Cupertino, and even shared a logo, I expected them to be revolutionary. When I arrived home, I was very dismayed to find that these apples were not magical computer devices, and instead were food items. This type of confusion is unacceptable, and so Apple should sue grocery stores for selling items called "apple" or "macintosh," as well as stealing logos from Apple.
Another thing, Apples are fruits, and Blackberries are fruits. Apple should sue RIM for stealing the idea of naming a cell phone manufacturer after a fruit.
48. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
lol...no!!! blackberry logo dont look anything like the blackberry fruit!
and blackberry family dont look anything that apple sells! so no!
45. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i wonder when will the sue A.pl from Black Eyed Peas...
really hate that they are so obsses with law suits!
46. luxzy801 (Posts: 138; Member since: 16 Jun 2010)
The next thing we know, Apple is going to sue the world to rename the apple just because the patented the name apple and the world did not. WTF HAPPENED TO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!