Apple uses Windows to make Macs
0. phoneArena 06 Jun 2014, 21:59 posted on
This would not be so interesting if we were not on the heels of Apple’s big announcements at WWDC this past week...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
26. chocowii (Posts: 349; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Android apps are also made on numerous Windows and Macs.
28. Finalflash (Posts: 1945; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yea, but you don't see Google bad mouthing other platforms. Since Apple and MS have released a toxic hell stew of scroogled styled rhetoric against them, they don't get to use other platforms to their advantage after (they can but its really ironic then).
30. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1514; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Not sure what that response had to do with the comment. The point was, Android apps are also made on Windows and Macs.
37. sprockkets (Posts: 1423; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
And you can use linux.
Wanna make ios apps? Buy a bleeping $1000 mac you cheap bastards!
42. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
True! If you want to compile iOS apps you need to have a Mac (there is few solutions but they are more like a pain in the a**).
47. Jinto (Posts: 414; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
There's this plugin for Microsoft Visual Studio called Xamarin and it lets you make Android and iOs apps on Windows. I used it a couple of times and it works like magic.
54. HildyJ (Posts: 183; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
They know if you want pretty, you use Apple, if you want useful, you use Microsoft. I bet all the computers in the CFO's group run Windows as well to track the Apple tax revenues.
58. Droidrapist (Posts: 186; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Or if you're not connecting it to the internet in EVER - WIndows is fine. Otherwise youll expose all your data to hackers. Look at Target. They have windows based POS system - andddd credit cards = STOLEN xD
2. Ninetysix (Posts: 1712; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Meanwhile inside the most innovative brand of 2014. Been this way for years. Maybe Apple are using Macs and running Windows OS on them in the Texas factory? Macs can run both natively.
7. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5975; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If the production management software is only available on Windows, even Apple will have to run Windows.
13. promise7 (Posts: 485; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I think so too, if you look closely those are Mac's, but with Boot Camp they're using WIndows OS. Hard to tell, but it actually looks like Windows XP...
15. vincelongman (Posts: 1764; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Its not that clear, but I'm pretty sure that's Windows 7
circular start menu button
transparent aero theme around the borders
and the icons pinned on the taskbar
3. dontneedtoknow (Posts: 153; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
I think apple has one of the sexiest and compact design for their hardware but in my opinion, windows is way better than OS X
6. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Sony Vaio Zseries Apple copied Zseries laptops
49. stealthd (Posts: 986; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
No they didn't. That's as laughable as saying Apple copied the Prada for the original iPhone
19. ihavenoname (Posts: 1544; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
I personally prefer Macbooks to anything else, but I do like both Vaio and Zenbook line-up.
4. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
They are not gonna use Yosemite for manufacturing!!! And how's this news? Tell me something about google IO!
12. Marienx (Posts: 23; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Why not?... It's rather embarrassing to see apple assembling their hardware with the competition's software, why? because they've been advertising trash about the competition... Is it ok to see the share holders of Pepsi co. drinking Coca-Cola?.... NO!
39. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
It's like using the worst software for the most menial jobs. Do you understand now? Personally I am dumping my Acer windows 7 cràptop for a Macbook this year.
41. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Y it might be a craptop the OS it's using is not.
43. tedkord (Posts: 5514; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
No, it's like using the software that does all the things your software can't.
Oh, but since you're allegedly replacing a Windows laptop with a MacBook, that proves your point. In your head.
50. Droidrapist (Posts: 186; Member since: 28 May 2014)
That just means the software maker for that particular machine they are opertaing does not make it for mac... so they have to boot windows on the mac which, btw, Mac runs windos better than a normal PC of the same specs.
52. WinDroid (Posts: 77; Member since: 20 May 2014)
"Mac runs Windows better than a normal PC". Macs are just normal PCs. same hardware, just more expensive. Also PCs can run OSX, granted not legally because Apple locks their OS but OSX runs on a "Regular PC" just fine and it runs just as good as a "MAC PC". Linux runs on everything and is free so surprised they aren't using that, most software developers use linux anyway.
5. alexandrecastro (Posts: 21; Member since: 23 Feb 2014)
What would you guys expect! Try to use SolidWorks or Catia on OS X
33. buccob (Posts: 1653; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Exactly the point, so apple doesn't get to bad mouth the competition
10. Ninetysix (Posts: 1712; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
LOL @ RIP. They're not going anywhere anytime soon broski. You'll be long dead before they hit rock bottom..if ever.
21. ihavenoname (Posts: 1544; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
In my opinion only Google is less likely to "rest in peace" than Apple.
11. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
OS X is a sleek, stylish and fluid OS. I really like it. But I don't think that's what makes people by Macs. Most people buy a Mac for the Apple logo or just for the hardware and design. I know so many people who have bought a MacBook and then slapped WIndows on them. NO OS can beat the functionality of WIndows, no OS X, no Chrome OS, nothing. People might hate MS or Windows, but their desktop OS is light years ahead of its nearest competition. That's why I love and use WIndows. MSFTW!
14. shuaibhere (Posts: 1708; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Light years ahead only in apps department....
Windows needs lot of maintenance...
My linux system is free of that....
18. ihavenoname (Posts: 1544; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
I personally prefer OS X, (design, animations, experience, fluidity), but Windows is very functional OS and they are not #1 without reason.
29. vincelongman (Posts: 1764; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Well maybe if Apple allowed their OS on other hardware then MS wouldn't have a monopoly
31. express77 (unregistered)
I respect Steve Jobs a lot(not his personal life though). But his and other apple executives' stupid ego made them to keep Mac OS for themselves. If they had less ego, we would have been seeing much better desktop OSes right now due to competition. Windows would have been much better.
32. vincelongman (Posts: 1764; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Exactly, if Mac OS was allowed on other computers it would have forced MS to update their OS more regularly and MS would have to reduce their $100+ price for Windows as well
44. tedkord (Posts: 5514; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
One doesn't get a non - governmental enforced monopoly by putting out a crap product.
45. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Take out a dictionary and look up the word monopoly. It isn't MS's fault if Apple or Google couldn't come up with better OSes to compete with Windows. Get over this "Microsoft is monopolist" crap. If you have a solid proof of it, show it to us. Or else, refrain from commenting such BS.
53. WinDroid (Posts: 77; Member since: 20 May 2014)
Besides Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly. LInux is used on nearly as many systems as Windows (and in many cases both are used on the same system). It's just OSX that is a complete failure because it locks the operating system to Apple computers (legally anyway).
17. PBXtech (Posts: 990; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Sounds to me Windows has better productivity software for their needs than OS X does. I wouldn't read too much into this beyond it being comical on some levels.
51. Droidrapist (Posts: 186; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Exactly, which means the person who designed this industrial app, didn't make it for Mac, whic makes sense since most industries buy PC's for their affordabiilty.
20. techspace (Posts: 795; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
We have also seen many macs @MS .....macs were used to make windows 8
These huge companies make use of each others' products really well
They don't fight like the fanboys who use their products.
Untouchability, hatred etc exists only in marketing, courtrooms and in the fanboys' minds
22. ihavenoname (Posts: 1544; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Macs were also used to make Android (which many Apple haters here love). Heck, go to Google and try not to see a Macbook, won't be many seconds.
23. techspace (Posts: 795; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I am talking about all the companies not just apple and ms, that was just an example.
you are right, macs are also used @ google.
24. Nokia1100user (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
these macs are running on windows server, we have almost 300 of these macs and 700 other PCs in my college running on the server. its easier for the IT department to manage but also because most people are more familiar with windows than macs and because Microsoft has big influence on schools and businesses.
25. sinple (Posts: 123; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
the official licenced retail store in my country boots their macbook into windows in order to use their POS. lol
34. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
That is actually funny tho.
Its not uncommon....like you will see ppl using Apple products at Google.
35. berns (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Jun 2014)
Even some existing apps break off upon starting after upgrading to higher OSX version, this has been one of the reason why most developers prefer to create apps on windows because its core is already stable and matured compares to Mac OSX.
38. Akfred (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
Personally I love mac hardware but I will prefer windows
On them. My MBP mid 2013 run OS X and windows through
Boot camp. Windows is much more easy going,
And flexible than OS x.
46. xche78x (Posts: 101; Member since: 11 Mar 2014)
So the apple geniuses cannot make osx software to run their assembly line and had to resort to using the competitors OS and software. How Ironic and/or cheap of them! Hahaha
Written on an ipad mini instead of my heavy win8 iconia tab...
56. volvoV70guy (Posts: 13; Member since: 06 Jun 2014)
OS X doesn't compete with Windows. I'm not sure why tech sites don't seem to get this. They are not comprable products - Windows is meant for productivity, gaming, networking, etc. Macs and their OS are meant to be pretty and trendy. Macs represent a tiny, tiny minority of PCs, and quite a lot of them are running Windows more often than different-for-the-sake-of-it OS X. This is just the reality, folks. I believe that this is the way Microsoft views Apple - they are not a threat to their most important products like Windows and Office. There's just a problem of what the current tech fashion trends are.