Apple to start trial runs of an improved iPhone 5S in December, new iPad mini on tap for 2013
0. phoneArena 12 Nov 2012, 04:04 posted on
The initial batch trials are said to be 50,000-100,000 units, claim the paper's sources, with production ramping up for shipments in the first quarter of next year. Now we doubt that Apple will introduce an upgraded version of the iPhone 5 so soon after its announcement, though it already broke the annual upgrade cycle trend with the iPad 4, releasing it just half a year after the new iPad launched...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Apple's consecutive incremental releases are not a good sign for them. Loyalty rate will go down again.
7. whysoserious (Posts: 311; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
How to make an "S" version of iPhone:
Add slight and subtle new features + keep previous design + a bunch of bullcrap speech from Tim Cook = iPhone 5s!
22. lauremar (Posts: 180; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
It's a sign that Apple is freaking out about the slew of devices that are coming out from Google and Microsoft. They're thinking that if they come out with these iDevices named above soon enough, they will not loose their market share. Now they are just playing catch which serve them right. If they stayed innovating instead of litigating, then maybe this wouldn't have happened.
24. HäckeMáte (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Yea im sure thats what it is. Apple is soo scared right now because of the competition... wait there is none.
26. Droiddoes (unregistered)
You forgot that apparently according to apple, fixing glaring hardware, design, and manufacturing flaws = new phone. Innovative!
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 8896; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Man U should b working for apple. NOT!!!
38. Doakie (Posts: 726; Member since: 06 May 2009)
LOL. People who just bought the iPhone 5 got owned. Sucks to be them. This incremental update product strategy reminds me of HTC, and we can all see how well that is working for them...
40. HäckeMáte (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Believe me, considering the garbage Android phones out there, iPhone is unfortunately the best alternative.
If u feel sorry for iPhone owners you should feel deep sorrow and pitty for Android users
16. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5153; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
This is more like an improved iP5 (not an iP5S). Things like a harder (less scratch-prone) case and what-not. iP5S will ship 3Q2013.
Expect a similar circumstance for the iPad mini. iPad mini2 with resolutionary display and A5X chipset will ship 4Q2013.
20. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1059; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
its a sign that the compnay is shaken up after the not-so-successful release of the iPhone 5. Its a sign that Apple is on edge and definitely the ones who bought the iPhone 5 with all of its out-of-the-box defects are definitely gonna feel silly and duped!
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 8896; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I think I'm one of the lucky ones cuz I haven't had a single issue
37. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1059; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
You must be really lucky but any high-end phone should be kept in cver...doesn't matter which brand.
Hey do you remember a few posts ago on some topic we were debating on how much Apple sold and how much Sammy sold (i dont remeber the article).
Well, have you seen the article on PA disclosing sales figures for top ten smartphone selling brands in this quarter? SAMMY sold 56.9 million and Apple sold (wait for it!) 26.9 million...that's not even half of Sammy!
That being said you gotta admit in 2010 Apple would have been the de facto choice for a tablet and phone but somehow it isnt the case anymore...people have options and Apple has begun to lose its thunder (reference to PA article).
How lang Sammy stays number one...wel we'll just have to wait and see bbut do you feel the Winds of Change :)
2. darkskoliro (Posts: 834; Member since: 07 May 2012)
You have to respect Apple for their hardware...tbh I think their dual core is already good enough, especially for iOS. I have no idea what an iphone wants to run that will be that taxing.
15. fanboy1974 (Posts: 942; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
The issue is the design itself. While it's a beautiful design with only metal and glass it's been a complicated design for mass production. My first iPhone had a nick in the metal out the box and that is totally unacceptable. Even Foxconn came out and said that the phone is difficult to make and there is still a backorder of phones almost 2 months after release.
What good is a beautiful design if you can't mass product it "without" nicks and scratches? Customers are just going to jump ship and go with Android or Windows phone.
3. MeoCao (unregistered)
Apple is feeling the heat and I guess they now moves to 6 month upgrade cycle to combat great phones from Android.
iPhone brand has lost the air of invincibility.
4. darkkjedii (Posts: 8896; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I think they should. That yearly stuff needs to stop
5. redmd (Posts: 769; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I can't really call that an upgrade. a fix is the best to describe it.
17. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5153; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Apple needs to address the stale-ness of the iOS UI. Soo much more interesting UIs from both Android and WP. BB10 might even be more interesting than iOS....
23. lauremar (Posts: 180; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Right! Apple can change/upgrade all the hardware they want but unless they change their IOS user interface than just a bunch of square icons on a screen, it will always and forever be boring... IOS needs a major overhaul!!! That's all I gotta say...
25. Xquisite (Posts: 87; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
That isn't right. Not everyone cares about customizing and hacking.
8. someones4 (Posts: 608; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
OMG! OMG! Finally they decided to add the 's' to the phone name. A much deserved upgrade.
Doesn't feel right without it.
14. xfire99 (Posts: 347; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Its just matter of time, everyone know Apples pattern about naming already, they might will add another 5GS version too, like iphone 3GS and all depends if 5S works littleeeeeee better then what i5 did.
9. angelesmec (unregistered)
A new magical product indeed.
10. angelesmec (unregistered)
I have a riddle.
A piece of crap that really burns hole in your pocket.. Guess what?
34. someones4 (Posts: 608; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Ehhh.. it starts with an 'i' and has a fruit logo on it?
11. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
If they are not changing the design then the phone needs a CPU and gpu overhaul along with a redesigned ios 7. A 13mp camera and a bigger battery.
12. wendygarett (unregistered)
Where can I pre-order Apple? I'm ready my money for you :)
19. wendygarett (unregistered)
Haven't see it, we just have to wait lol...
28. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Who says Apple doesn't care about market share 9and specs war) ... they seem to be in PANIC Mode now :)
32. jsdechavez (Posts: 652; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Haha! This goes to all Apple fans.. Spend it! Spend it!!!
35. 12013E12T (Posts: 37; Member since: 08 Sep 2009)
iPhone 5S. Where the 'S' stands for 'Shoulda' this time around because this is what the iPhone 5 'shoulda' been.
I mean let's face it, the only reason they're releasing this "iPhone 5S" is to fix everything that was wrong with the original iPhone 5 (and of course add some new features from the iPad Mini).
36. darkkjedii (Posts: 8896; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
So y did they release a 3GS and 4S? Lets face it they're releasing it cuz it follows the pattern that they release in other than the time frame.
41. 12013E12T (Posts: 37; Member since: 08 Sep 2009)
Exactly, the time frame being so soon because they know they F'd up
39. gallitoking (Posts: 4630; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I will sure get that phone as I passed on the iP5... but waiting on the S version..