Apple to launch Apple iWatch in the second half of 2014, priced between $149 and $229?
0. phoneArena 28 Aug 2013, 00:50 posted on
With the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch expected to see the light of day on September 4th, alongside the Samsung Galaxy Note III (and the Sony Xperia Z1 AND the EspressOn interchangeable lens), Samsung has already beat out Apple in the so-called arms race; this puts both companies in unusual positions. For example, how would history have been different if Samsung had launched a touchscreen smartphone before the OG Apple iPhone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I wonder if Apple would have made the announcement if Sammy hadn't beat them to the punch?
Nothing like being second to the party...
6. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Sammy is first of the big boys. This is following a well-worn trajectory - trail is blazed by entrepreneurs; once market validation occurs, big boys step in and eat the entrepreneurs Lunch. Only hope for entrepreneurs is to be acquired (Apple as second to the party if it can't get its home-grown act together), or leverage a patent portfolio to keep the big boys at bay while it ramps up and rides a wave (IDK if this is even possible in the smartwatch segment).
17. bucky (Posts: 2280; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Samsung would have not bothered with the watch if they didn't hear apple was pushing for it.
18. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Neither would have considered a smartwatch a few years back. It took entrepreneurs to blaze the trail.
22. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Sounds like you aren't familiar with how R&D works, and how long it takes to create a product and bring it to an announcement date like Sept 4. Simple truth is both companies have been working on a watch for some time now, it's just coming to the public attention recently.
13. robinlim85 (Posts: 86; Member since: 03 May 2013)
this article has a stupid author
sammy wouldn't be the second without apple being the first,touchscreen device been around for a long time(think O2 device),just nobody make them interesting until apple did
sammy and the rest of the world would still do plastic keyboard phone if apple didn't spark the public interest on touch screen phone
16. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I hope Samsung's looks better because this Apple thing is atrocious; I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing on my wrist.
21. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I'm thinking that just about any other design would look better then this does too.
2. jimjam (Posts: 256; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
Sounds like yet another analyst trying to manipulate apple stock.
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Where do you think the 'analyst' got their idea from? Certainly not out of their a-hole.
10. Pdubb (Posts: 243; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
I don't know about that 63 million number. Launching in the second half means that it will be aroun the timeof the next iPhone. That will likely mean that some people will have to choose which one. I doubt most wil opt for the watch. But who really knows?
29. iampayne (Posts: 322; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Actually thats probably exactly where they got it, they don't call them ANALyst for nothing hahaha..... no? lol
8. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 223; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
For an Apple product I think $149 sounds too cheap, it needs to be more like $500 to keep the rif-raf away.
12. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3690; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Add $50 more to that and you'll get a Nexus 4. :)
9. SonyPS4 (Posts: 335; Member since: 21 May 2013)
I doubt Smartwatch will be succesful. Maybe for short time but then it will fade quickly. Most people that I know still wear watch just for status or fashion (rolex, swiss) and student at school (that prohibit phone).
14. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Exactly! I've worn watches for over 20 years and my arm feels good being naked. We are already tied to our phones. I don't want to be tied to a watch and phone.
15. Eonnaydra (Posts: 217; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
This is not true.Just the Apple's logo costs 400 dollars.
19. JMartin22 (Posts: 1795; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
The watch will feature a premium price jus' cuz' Apple. And I'll lol if 65 million things ship.
20. sum182 (Posts: 229; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
And no apps will work for it until the developers update them to fit that screen size......again x2
23. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Still leaving out the most critical piece of information, battery life. Until that's solved, this will always be a tiny niche market. I'm a watch fan and wouldn't mind getting a smart watch but not if the battery only lasts a few days.
24. dorianb (Posts: 570; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
For example, how would history have been different if Samsung had launched a touchscreen smartphone before the OG Apple iPhone?
Something like this maybe....
FACT CHECK works wonders.
25. zombiewolf115 (Posts: 38; Member since: 16 Jul 2013)
i would rather wait to see wat googles smart watch will look like.
26. Mrmark (Posts: 244; Member since: 26 Jan 2013)
iWatch Nano lol! Wow replace there iPods? Analyst are very funny!
28. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 588; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
A little late to the party don't ya think?
30. iampayne (Posts: 322; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Very vague and this all sounds more like someone throwing darts at a dart board.