Apple to clean up its act by switching to renewable energy
1. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Apple is a leader in this as most things. Good job Apple!
4. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4579; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Apple is a leader in this as most things."
Are you sure?
Guide to Greener Electronics: http://goo.gl/8IsY8
Seems that your facts are again only...
2. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Apple a leader??? More like the number one thief of ideas in tech history.
3. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
250 acres?? How much forest is Apple going to cut down to put up a solar array??? Seriously!? So, lets kill 250 acres of forest that produce oxygen by getting CARBON out of the darn air.. to.. save the planet from.. carbon?
So which is worse.. running on coal or deforestation?
Stupid green peace.
I applaud Apple for bending and trying to be better on the environment, but seriously.. which is worse?
5. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Wow getting away from coal fuel is a bad thing now too?
You're unbelievable. It doesn't take a genius to understand releasing toxins into the air is bad.
6. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Yeah releasing toxins in the air is bad, but so is clearing acres of forests.
Best solution: Nuclear Power Plant. Scary, but more powerful than any coal powerplant. I'm not sure how to go about it but they just have to place it far from civilization.
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4579; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I don't think so, because:
1) In most cases Nuclear Power Plants starts generate profit only after ~ 50 year of usage and the problem is that most Nuclear Power Plants has only ~ 50 year exploitation time. That's mean when Nuclear Power Plant will start generate reall profit you will be forced to close it because exploitation time will be out of date. (Talking about the years I might be wrong.)
2) There is no proper way to recycle nuclear waste.
3) You have to cool reactor and that's mean you need water. In this case you will unnaturally warm up water in the nature and it just increase global warming.
9. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
I see. I didn't see those points before. Well, I guess solar power really is the best option for now.
However, they should do something to counter the deforestation it may cause. I saw something in discovery channel once, concept is about buildings in cities dedicated for the breeding of selected edible crops/plants. It should help reduce costs of transport from farms to cities since the improvised field is in the city itself. And it will also help reduce/fight pollution.
Imagine 100 floors of nothing but plants in the middle of a very busy city. Problem is no one is willing to spend on it.
10. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
thank god your not that genius.
im going to break it down super simple, just for your mind.
cutting trees down = bad.
burning lots of coal = bad
Now, unless Apple had its OWN coal factory that it got power from, getting off of coal is purely symbolic as that factory is going to run regardless, since it has to power other things. So not only is the coal factory running, we are going to lose 250 acres of oxygen producing trees.
do ya get it? do ya? should i spell it out in your alphabet soup?
8. gallitoking (Posts: 4623; Member since: 17 May 2011)
not surprise that fandroids turn a good thing into a bad thing.. wow.. gotta hande it to them.. they never rest..
11. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Remix is their fearless leader. Mid 30's and still an entry level sales rep, but has the nerve to question others intelligence.
12. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Who said they were goin to cut forest?
That's just downright stupid argument.
Remix@co. read again, instead of hating blindly - they are going to make a transition from buying power from coal powerplants to renewable energy for their central data facility.
It's definitely a move in the right direction and as such I applaud it.
Now if they would just learn from Sony, regarding how you build a headquarters..
..instead of that decadent demonstration of power that they are building now.