Apple to appeal dismissal of FRAND litigation against Motorola
The FTC on Thursday said that Google had threatened rivals with sales bans if they did not agree to Google's terms on standards-essential patents which are supposed to be licensed in a fair non-discriminatory way. Instead, Google played hardball with these patents, which are essential for the competition to build their smartphones and tablets. Most of the patents used in this manner by Google were ones it acquired with its acquisition of Motorola Mobility.
Those who like to dress up and play lawyer can read Apple's notice of appeal below.
1. PapaSmurf posted on 04 Jan 2013, 23:45 16 0
Apple logic: I'm not paying anything over $1 for the patents.
Case gets dismissed.
Apple: It doesn't benefit us? Ok, let's spend all this money appealing the case instead of accepting the negotiation.
7. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 05 Jan 2013, 01:07 12 1
lol the level of arrogance and stupidity of Apple is unmatched.
They essentially told the judges: "make the verdict MY way. or else"
12. Cynipap999 (banned) posted on 05 Jan 2013, 06:11 1 1
Apple will 'have it their way' because they know where to find Burger King!
2. joey_sfb posted on 04 Jan 2013, 23:46 14 0
Apple been so busy suing everyone appealing on every cases i wonder anyone in Apple has time for any real work.
3. PapaSmurf posted on 04 Jan 2013, 23:53 12 0
Nope. Have you seen the minimal changes in their products compared to the changes by other manufacturers with their products?
The only credit I'll give them is the Retina Macbook Pros.
4. Xperia42 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 23:56 15 3
6. hypermagz posted on 05 Jan 2013, 01:01 13 1
Apple wont pay any more than a $1 per unit but would gladly accept 1B out of nothing.
34. stealthd posted on 06 Jan 2013, 17:53 0 1
Proving your competitor copied your product is not "nothing".
35. PapaSmurf posted on 06 Jan 2013, 19:17 0 0
The iPhone was a stolen product to begin with so your statement is invalid.
Good day to you.
8. Joker posted on 05 Jan 2013, 01:44 7 0
Apple, don't piss off Google or you could end up like Microsoft
9. Droid_X_Doug posted on 05 Jan 2013, 02:29 9 0
They already are like MS. They just haven't acknowledged it yet.
14. Cynipap999 (banned) posted on 05 Jan 2013, 06:15 1 1
Lol.... another +1
Hey, wouldn't it be fab if Microsoft put Windows Mobile on Apple iPhones - we could then watch the two fail together as they get clobbered by GoogleDroid.
10. ray77 posted on 05 Jan 2013, 02:41 2 0
apple please it paid up, in other word it look like ur a sore losser an that is not nice on ur resume Apple, bad apple
13. darkkjedii posted on 05 Jan 2013, 06:14 1 8
If Motos guilty they should pay, if apples guilty they should pay
15. Droid_X_Doug posted on 05 Jan 2013, 08:49 3 2
Only problem is that Apple has been all arrogant (in front of the trial court judge, no less). The $1/device offer was a middle-fingered wave to the court. Even the trial judge knew that damages were going to be more than $1/device. Yet, Apple wanted full damages against Moto (possibly including a sales ban). Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, which is why the judge dismissed the case. I suspect Apple won't fare much better on appeal. Judges take a dim view of litigants giving them the middle-fingered wave.
16. VZWuser76 posted on 05 Jan 2013, 09:52 2 0
Like I've said in the past. If it's a standard essential patent, there should be a standard amount to pay for it. At worst a 3 or 4 tiered system with more essential patents getting the paid a higher amount than appearance patents. They could even adjust it each year for inflation. Not real difficult.
It doesn't make sense to not have a set amount for these things laid out, it just begs for endless litigation, aka what we have now.
20. darkkjedii posted on 05 Jan 2013, 16:27 0 3
I totally agree with your take, and VZWuser76's also. The standard assessment does make a lot of sense, and if its high enough could bring a holt to this patent war crap.
18. Droiddoes posted on 05 Jan 2013, 16:12 6 2
LOL, nobody takes you seriously. You should probably just leave.
22. opensourceftw posted on 05 Jan 2013, 18:16 4 0
LMAO. It was a suggestion, I mean if you really want to continue making a fool of yourself and being a laughingstock be my guest.
26. darkkjedii posted on 05 Jan 2013, 23:24 0 1
No problem cuz I speak my mind, and don't give a f**k what anybody has to say. I'm no fanboy
27. PapaSmurf posted on 06 Jan 2013, 04:10 0 1
You claim you use both OS's but you're definitely a Apple fanboy.
28. darkkjedii posted on 06 Jan 2013, 07:17 0 1
I can care less what u say, or think papa smurf, but one thing I am is a grown man who doesn't hate on people or their choice to use what they want. I can sit here and go on and on with u, but I won't...it's not worth the headache.
30. Droiddoes posted on 06 Jan 2013, 10:42 1 0
You CAN care less? Cool, you should try that sometime. And maybe take a remedial english class with all the free time you'll have from caring less.
29. Droiddoes posted on 06 Jan 2013, 10:41 0 0
Uh oh guys, don't want to alarm anyone, but I think we just might be dealing with a badass here!
And yea you are a total fanboy LOL
32. darkkjedii posted on 06 Jan 2013, 12:03 0 0
As I said I can care less, or as u want me to say I couldn't care less. I'm a techie and will use what I want, I work hard for my money, and enjoy using my choices. I love iOS just like I love android, iOS is a great platform and the ip5 is one of the best devices I've ever owned beautiful, elegant, powerful, fast, smooth, responsive, great battery life, and does it all. Is that fanboy enough for ya. Some of u droiders r jokes, praising choice but only accepting a persons choice if that choice is android. I respect phenomfaz, droid x droid and a few others. The rest of u suck, pure hypocrites, and childish close minded jokes.
36. PapaSmurf posted on 06 Jan 2013, 19:29 0 0
I'm not bashing you for using iOS; I just stated the obvious that you're an Apple fanboy. There's a difference.
21. johnnh posted on 05 Jan 2013, 18:14 0 1
moto is guilty to father cell phones and not sue everyone that makes one!
17. Droiddoes posted on 05 Jan 2013, 13:30 5 1
Cupertino? More like SUEpertino am I right? HAHAH HAhahah haha aha....ahah...
24. roscuthiii posted on 05 Jan 2013, 18:43 1 1
Apple: Inconceivable, these terms are not "fair & reasonable"!
Apple, I do not think those words mean what you think it means.
25. InspectorGadget80 posted on 05 Jan 2013, 19:58 3 1
APPLE DON'T BE SO CHEAP. You are taking 15-25$ from HTC now you dont want to give no more than a $1? Now to show the Ifans how GREEDY APPLE is. Motorola was the first company to create/invent the cell phone. They should give them 30$ per hand set sold. If Apple hadn't started suing AGAINST Android non of these B.S. PATENT laws wouldn't have been going on for a few years.
31. Droiddoes posted on 06 Jan 2013, 10:44 1 0
Yeah, truly truly pathetic company. It's all good, their arrogance and greed will be their undoing, just like last time. Only this time around no one is going to bail them out.
33. darkkjedii posted on 06 Jan 2013, 13:27 0 2
We know that's what u want, but its not gonna happen. Stop hating on apple, and just enjoy your device dude. U r one insignificant consumer, u have no voice and can make no difference. Your only medium is as a loud mouth apple hater on PA. PATHETIC.