Apple testing iPhone 6 with larger, 4.9-inch display, 5c successor also to come with bigger screen
0. phoneArena 21 Nov 2013, 09:09 posted on
Apple has allegedly started testing a prototype for its new iPhone 6 with a larger, 4.9” screen. Apple is said to be preparing two new iPhones next year…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
68. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
when I first came here I thought yeah, maybe I can actually talk sense into people. that was until I realised how some... okay you're right. Thank you, sir
9. Mike_L.13 (Posts: 20; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
What they really need to do is design an iphone that isn't guaranteed to shatter when you drop it. That is something I would be interested in.
58. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Otterbox Defender will go a long way to protecting the iToy from breaking when dropped.
81. Mike_L.13 (Posts: 20; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Good advice, my only question would be how big/bulky would an otterbox defender case be on a 4.9 inch iphone? I've seen them on other iphone models and most look bigger than my droid razr maxx hd.
I'd love to see an iphone with a 4.9 inch screen, just with my track record with phones I don't think an iphone will ever be durable enough for my everyday use. Maybe if they made a super slim, ultra durable case to go with it I'd consider.
14. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They'll use the tweener size again, like they did for the iPad mini, and claim it is a brilliant balance between 4 inches and 5 inches. So my guess would be 4.4 - 4.6.
They did the same with the iPad mini. Claimed 7 inches was too small and 9.7 too big for some so Apple being the geniuses that they are, came up with 7.9!!!!! Even though 7.7 tablets existed well before the mini.
So Apple will pull the same BS. 4.5 seems to be the least used so I think they will go for that.
76. JakeLee (banned) (Posts: 1021; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
7.9" in 4:3 ratio is more space than 8" in 16:10.
Go back to school, learn some math.
17. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
28. Commentator (Posts: 3669; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Yeah, that was a pretty funny episode, especially to anyone following tech. Matt and Trey apparently still have something left in the tank.
35. darkkjedii (Posts: 20050; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hope it materializes, cuz if it does, my money will too. I'd welcome the screen size increase.
38. willard12 (Posts: 1557; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Oh Darkkjedii, if it doesn't materialize, your money still will. I have to applaud your loyalty.
59. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
"I'd welcome the screen size increase."
Dinky little screen crimping you, eh?
66. darkkjedii (Posts: 20050; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No actually it's quite adequate, but as I said I'd welcome it.
36. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
So Apple also copying trend set by Samsung at last. They keep chasing their own shadow now :)
41. TomTheNerd (Posts: 67; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
apple fanboys who hate on other OEMs for having 5 inch screens, will suddenly like the idea of a bigger screen.
69. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
its more the opposite clever guy. Droid droolers hate the 4inch, they like 5 inches 7 inches 12 inches pun intended of course. Apple users rarely complain about other phones being big. Proof: this and many other comment sections in PA itself.
84. TomTheNerd (Posts: 67; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
it's weird because so many apple fanboys say that the sgs4 and stuff is impossible for one-handed use and therefore is a useless phone.
44. ravivarma639 (Posts: 21; Member since: 15 Apr 2013)
I think apple will make ios8 in a way that it does not need to reach ur finger to all sides of the screen then big screen wont be a big problum fr one hand operation
47. Android4Ever (Posts: 86; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Apple's customers will like whatever they tell them to like...
70. GeekyGene (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Bigger screen is nice but it usually comes with the trade off of a larger device. If I want more screen real estate I will use a tablet. Not a mix of the two which is good at neither job. Size of the iPhone currently is very comfortable and usable as an actual phone, I do use it less for that these days but its still desirable (to me) to have portability and a compact design. Still, look forward to seeing what they come up with anyway -and if they really do bump up the size.
74. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
That's it only 4.9"? Phones are now at 6.2" now.
77. GeekMovement (Posts: 2155; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Apple should just stick to their rectangle with rounded corner design.
83. RussianLondoner (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
with first iPhone Apple was innovators and everyone was following...copying them, now they chase after everyone like one of those athletes in college who worked in cinema during college years and it was so cool (free movies and popcorn)...
But you meet him ten...fifteen years later and that athlete still does same cinema job, drives same car and lives with his mum...
- Fingerprint scanner - motorola years ago,
- 4 inch + screen - everyone but Apple,
- Apple never took risks like Motorola, HTC, Nokia, LG and Samsnung with super diverse smartphone design just for the crack of the challenge...
Look at them (iPhone, iPhone 3G, 3Gs, iPhone 4,4s, 5, 5s,5c)...just look at them, they are so similar it's like a joke...First time funny, than just weird!
Apple is that cool college student...really sad spectacle...
The only thing Apple is good for many years is monumental epic overpricing!
Go on Apple! Go for it!
Make a phone with 4.8-4.9 inches screen - it would be a "revolution"
We haven't seen anything like it before... +)))