Apple sells 5 million iPhone 5 units during opening weekend, doesn't meet analyst expectations
0. phoneArena 24 Sep 2012, 08:04 posted on
Apple has once again had a terrific launch weekend, as it managed to sell over 5 million iPhone 5 units in the first days of the device's presence on the market...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Cha7520 (Posts: 221; Member since: 31 Oct 2010)
WOW...that dude looks like he is high on drugs or something! Really? Who gets excited over a phone with 2010 technology in it? 80% of the apps are not configured to take advantage of the ....wait for it........wait.....4" SCREEN!! lol Oh, yeah and maps sucks too and will get you lost.
5. chemhaz (Posts: 161; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Someone who get paid to ramp up the hype, I think they call them actors........ or a fool if it's genuine. Maybe he got out of jail and doesn't know about Android devices and thinks a 4" is da bomb... who knows?
24. MeoCao (unregistered)
Or maybe he is scratching his head now. I guess he did not know how bad iPhone 5 really was. LOL
62. oister85 (Posts: 473; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Or maybe he is thinking the phone is getting flash support
70. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
Never thought I'd see the day when nerds would diss people who are honestly excited about technology.
Folks who line up for launches aren't idiots. Some are nerds, some love Apple, some just really enjoy how their phone has changed their lives. For a group that is often stereotyped, you guys make a lot of generalizations...
75. tedkord (Posts: 10231; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Look, I love tech. And I don't begrudge someone being excited by a new device. I do (though not to the level shown in the picture). But I'm sorry, lining up for days to get s phone you could have shipped to your front door is idiotic, whether the phone is iOS, Android, WP or a direct line to heaven.
Maybe if the phone were being given away free, and was made of gold or platinum...
80. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4807; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Thank you! I was going to say the same thing.
+1,000 for you.
78. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Show up at launches? no, not idiots. People that camp out over night and days for launches... zealots and idiots. That goes for any product, not just apple.
90. downphoenix (Posts: 3155; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
actually people who line up ARE idiots, whether its for the iphone or whatever. And I know this, because I used to line up for stuff. I lined up for the XBOX 360. I lined up for several video games. Its a waste, honestly. I rather just order online from Amazon or preorder at a brick and mortar store and have it shipped to me. Sure, I wont get it at midnight or whatever, but I'll get it later that day, without the pain of waiting in line.
96. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Hey, I lined up for the midnight launch of the 360. Thankfully I was friends with the manager of gamestop, so instead of waiting outside, I got to wait inside and was the first out with an Xbox under each arm (one for my brother). I had armed guards walk me to my car since they thought I was gonna get mugged (peeps were outside screaming that I was in and they werent..lol), it was quite entertaining.
100. eflop (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
You basically just said "People are idiots! I know, cos I am(or was) one!"
You mate, are a genius. pfft
102. BattleBrat (Posts: 1432; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I preordered my RAZR, it arrived Nov 10th, a day before available in stores..
7. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Its funny how that 2010 techniology keeps up with all the latest and greatest!
14. frydaexiii (Posts: 1426; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
It doesn't keep up, it just appeals to the less technologically inclined, if they think the iPhone is good, then everything above it is basically the same as it.
Just like how I don't give a crap about cars, I like a Mitsubishi Lancer, to me, any model that is better than that is the same to me.
31. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
You seem like kind of person who thinks that just because the hardware specs are better that the phone is better. There is a reason why Android has better specs then iPhone...
Software optimization on Android is horrible and they need that extra power to compensate while Apple is more resource efficient and can do the same with less.
Bottom line is more harware is just unnecessary. Look at the benchmark tests... I'm not saying Apple is better but they are deffinetely comparable.
41. frydaexiii (Posts: 1426; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
So how is that my loss? I'm paying my money's worth for hardware. Software can be improved (as seen from ICS to Jellybean), new hardware has to bought when it can't keep up with the software (Just like how you have to buy an iPhone 5 in order to experience the full iOS6, every other model will just give you a stripped down version).
58. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
I'm not saying its your loss... I'm just saying that both products are good choices... Just because iOS doesnt have a feature that Android has doesnt mean iOS is a bad option.
46. bebdigga (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
ios doesn't do anything that android does out the box..get your facts straight and 2 the only reason they come equipped with all the horsepower is because is future proofed..the galaxy nexus s is a single core nd it still fares very well against the iphone 5..so stop that zombie stuff..
51. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Dude... my facts are straight,,, are yours?
Also... why is it that anytime someone inniciates a debate someone like you calls us names like "Zombie".... If you every read any of my posts I actually like both Android and iOS.
Anytime you are challenged in any way you have to resort to name calling because you have no facts to support your debate.
72. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's the stupidest post I've ever read, and u androiders do post some stupid stuff. iOS does lots of what android does, but they also have their own select features. Man some people shouldn't post on PA.
76. tedkord (Posts: 10231; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It may be partially due to optimization, but it is largely due to the fact that iOS is an extremely limited OS, that doesn't do nearly what Android does. IOS is designed to be a phone OS, while Android is designed to be a handheld pc.
79. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Good points Tedkord.... But I think we can all do without the gimmicky/power hungry live wallpaper and the useless widgets that no one uses. Android does have many feature that I would love to see in iOS but so does Blackberry... does that mean BB is a better OS or just another good choice?
83. thevoice (Posts: 7; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
gimmicky like the SIRI u mean? widgets that show me my favorite teams score or let me see the weather, or news without doing the extra steps. or lets see... the pull down notification screen that apple stole or the reply to a phone call with a text option that they also stole. u said that u like both platforms but really nothing about android
89. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Wow... Your absolutely right bro. I guess I came off as a typical sheep for a moment. I appriciate your point and yes... They are great examples of the power behind Android. Please keep in mind that my argument is strickly an opinion. Although I really like Android I prefer iOS.... I just like simplicity. This is coming from a Systems Analyst.
55. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly Dave. The ip5 is smoking all the competition in all the tests that've been conducted this far. So I'll take that 2010 tech with no problem. By the way I was the first person in vegas to get an ip5, and I'm loving it. GO APPLE!!!
57. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Android users only care if u like android, they're only pro choice it that choice is android. And they call iOS users sh€€p
60. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
What up Darkkjedii...
Thanks for the support! I try not to get into these winless battels but sometimes I just get so fustrated at peoples ignorance...
I love a good debate when it doesnt resort to name calling... If I loss an argument based on facts then I would be the first to man up to it.
84. synot (Posts: 277; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Those tests that u mentioned are not true valid tests they are only smokescreens to make Apple looks good--marketing strategy.
97. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
When I get to a computer I can link you to articles that call out the benchmarks which claim the iPhone 5 wins. Or I might not. I'm still recovering from launch weekend.
The iPhone 5 is a nice phone, but some things which should be simple are ridiculously complicated. For instance, there is no way to manually push photos directly to icloud from an iPhone or iPad.
110. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
What up Sniggly,
Your right.... Another feature that the iOS lacks, and I wish it had, is seperate mail icons for each of my mail accounts... or capability to allow a different notification tone for the mail accounts
I hate that iOS lacks in many areas... I wish iOS would addapt may of the feature that Blackberry used to have. That would be awesome!
65. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Well, there is still the 20 million units in 100 days metric set by Sammy for the GS III. I wonder if the iP5 is going to beat that one?
69. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Ip4s did 37,000,000 in less than 100 days. Wonder if gs3 will beat that.
95. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Again.... how is this misleading when there are planty of hard facts to support this?
111. galokjai (Posts: 36; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
You care about your phone more than the life of the kid who made it for you. Good luck with karma in your life.
107. MeoCao (unregistered)
37M is the sales of all iPhones, not just 4S
16. PhoneLuver (Posts: 481; Member since: 05 Jul 2010)
I still have the old iPhone 4. It's a good device and I might upgrade to the iPhone5 all depending on reviews and seeing it myself. I can't help feel ashamed that I'd be in the same grouping as some of these Apple fanatics though!
59. iphone4me (banned) (Posts: 35; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
You're the Fool, you must be foreigner, davecann2 is using an American actor's photo, lol
44. tluv00 (Posts: 134; Member since: 18 Oct 2007)
He found a breakfast sandwhich in his bag. That's why he's so happy.
48. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4807; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
This past weekend during football Sunday, I saw those Samsung commercials & loved that they were sticking it to Apple. My wife couldn't help laugh because she said & I quote "That is so true it's like those people are brainwashed." This is from a person who trust me with tech & is not into the Apple VS Android mess.
49. Apple_Royally_ (banned) (Posts: 42; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Apple has done it again. And will continue to outsell. We are all behind you Apple. We thank Apple again.
50. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4807; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
"doesn't meet analyst expectations"
You are kidding me right? lol
Apple_Royally_.... Not right in the head! lol
52. aaronkatrini (Posts: 241; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
hey Htc came up with a 4.3" display back in 2009.... muahahahhahaa
68. Ruckus (Posts: 286; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
2010 technology?? Wow then all of the Android devices must be stuck in 2009. It crushed Android in speed tests, has earpods which are a significant improvement, has Siri which really has no competitors, has nearly a million apps, oh and you can update the OS often.
My Android was supposed to get ICS but it probably wont. Android uses imitation apps to try to compare to apple, not to mention Android crashes so damn much.
I must say though, anyone getting that excited for a phone needs a life
87. synot (Posts: 277; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
U sound mentally disturbed, iphone didnt beat android in speed test ,go to gsm arena and read report .Sg3 and Htc x one both beat i5 in speed test even without JB.
101. Ruckus (Posts: 286; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Synot check the articles in Phonearena. They did speed tests and the iPhone 5 hammered the GS3 :)
Fandroids can't admit when they've been beat. There will always be the GS4 :-D
91. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1717; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I wouldn't call bug fixes "updating" the OS lol
2. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
it means there are 5 million of stupid sheeps on earth
10. wendygarett (unregistered)
Here I am :D
Oh well iPhone still awesome :D
23. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
That being said, iPhone is still better than RIP's BlackBerry
26. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
They each have their strengths. I still don't think anyone's come close to the enterprise integration that BB has/had, though I know Microsoft is working on it
29. wendygarett (unregistered)
I don't understand why you hate RIM so much
You feel shame to stay at bb nation... In the mean time we feel that your country is awesome!!! You can't find a country to be so unique like yours...
At least the country does not load too much ifans :) I admit that ifans is annoying >.
108. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
i really really hate rim, iFans are better than BB fanboys
yes i do feel ashamed to live in bb nation because bb is a retarded phone, small screen bad camera slow processor
3. mercorp (Posts: 1022; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Cause everyone is going for the optimus g,nokia lumias and note 2!
.....Tim cook must watch out.
4. jael206 (Posts: 144; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
that will be 5 million regrets in the next coming weeks.. #sheepishgrin
11. jael206 (Posts: 144; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
wow, one thumbs down in just 3 mins.. lookout! its the fanboy to the rescue!