Apple seeks $22 million in legal fees from Samsung
0. phoneArena 08 Dec 2013, 02:57 posted on
So far, Apple has spent over $60 million on legal fees to prove that its patents were infringed on by Korean OEM Samsung. In addition to the $930 million that Apple says Samsung owes it a a result of jury awards, the Cupertino based tech titan seeks partial reimbursement for its legal fees. Apple is asking Judge Lucy Koh to order Samsung to reimburse Apple $15.7 in legal fees and $6.2 million for various expenses rung up by its legal team...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
26. Topcat488 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Seems like Apple Started a WAR that it couldn't pay for... Apple should do what the U.S. does, when they need to pay for their WARS, borrow the money from China... Samsung spends 14 billion on "Ads" so this little amount for the publicity their getting is a drop in the bucket.
27. papss (unregistered)
Or SS could pay for their patheric copy system and learn their lesson next time.
Im surprised SS isnt based out of china with how they operate
38. 14545 (Posts: 1290; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Please stop. Seriously. All the OEM's copy. ALL, that includes your precious apple. Although, it seems like mainly only apple wants to have his competition banned, or bankrupted.
39. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Actually you and pass are rite, but apple doesn't want it's comp banned or bankrupted. Apple would make far more money from its comp thru licensing deals, apple is also smart enough to know that no one is getting banned. All this lawsuit crap that "ALL" these companies are doing is about POSITIONING. Setting themselves up for licensing deals, you'll pay to use my feature, you'll pay a little more for us to make your chips, such and so on. If you don't sit on their boards, own stock in them, work for them, and only purchase their products. Chill out, they'll only get better. In the words of "Marcus Burnett" from Bad Boys 1 and 2...WooSaaaaa
50. papss (unregistered)
If you know me then you know im no apple fan.. m$ fan? Sure... nokia fan? Yep...tech fan? Absolutely
68. donfem (Posts: 592; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
With the VW logo, I guess Duryea or Ford should sue for infringement considering the first car was supposedly made by them?
63. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Since we know Apple has a huge pile in the bank (or several banks) we know your first statement isn't even close to being true. But just because they can pay for it doesn't mean they aren't going to try to hold Samsung responsible. It's pretty common for the loser of a trial to pay the legal fees of their opponent.
43. Ashoaib (Posts: 3009; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Apple: Mom naughty sammy again stole my lunch!
Mom(icourts): dont worry son i will punish sammy, plz dont cry!
Apple: but mom sammy make me pe in the pent too
Mom(icourt): how dare sammy, here billion dollar penelty on sammy, happy now son?
Apple: no mommy I want to eat each n everything, my stomach kinda remain empty no matter whatever I eat...
Sammy: hey kid(apple) what the b.$hitting you are around? Come here you!!!!
Apple: dad dad please save me...
idad(obama): dont worry son, here is the veto...
AND THE STORY GOES ON AND ON...
45. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That wasn't even close to being funny. Yaaaaawwwwwwwn
52. Ashoaib (Posts: 3009; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Who told you it is about fun? go ask him/her for making you fool
55. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
U meant that to be funny, it just wasn't. Sorry...
67. Ashoaib (Posts: 3009; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
No, I didnt meant it to be funny.. not at all... thats why its not funny.... well, you can keep your wrong assumptions, assuming things is not bad anyway...
64. bibekpachhai (unregistered)
It funny because it inaccurate. You pay for the thing you copied. That's whyb there is licencing. I would totally support Samsung if apple did same thing as Samsung and copy without paying licensing fee.
58. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
THE Apple world should END
3. amiaq (Posts: 503; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Yeah apple aka siri, bend over, here 2 dollars
4. N-fanboy (Posts: 543; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
Lllloooolll apple doesn't need phones and tablets, they could just live off what they earn from the money that samsung penalized.
14. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
That's corporate business my good man, we're all victims. It also doesn't mean Samsung isn't shady
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's true, they're all dirty in some way.
22. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
hey dark, nice to see you again! Hows it going?
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Goin ok WH, how're things with you bro?
44. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Yeh fine, my account has been weird the past couple of months so thats why i have not been on much but its good to be back!
46. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Did someone hack you? I had some hater jack my profile pic, with my wife in it and do some disrespectful stuff. PA took the high road, and quickly banned them. I'll never post another pic as my profile pic with her in it again. I don't mind the haters attacking me, but leave my wife out of it. She has nothing to do with this fanboy stuff
51. toiletcleaner (Posts: 224; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
That's what u get wen u use the internet. don't blame the one who use ur picture. blame your self for making your wife public.
6. Magenta (Posts: 17; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Apple is just being Apple. I'm glad I switched to Android.
24. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Nothing like voting with your wallet. (Thumbup). I wonder if Apple has hit the $1 billion level in total litigation fees yet?
30. papss (unregistered)
Agreed. I dont like iphones and can't see myself ever buying one for me. Now my wife wont let go of hers or i would have a new wp8 phone in her hand.
59. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
smart move magenta
25. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Ummm. I think you want to become a patent litigator in the U.S. someday.
The problem is that patent litigation is very specialized work done by a small number of attorneys in very high-priced (associates are billing around $500/hour, partners are at $750 to $1,000/hour) firms. Cracking into that community is quite the challenge.
9. taikucing (unregistered)
17. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Best post yet, you're keeping it real. It's like who really cares, I'm not getting a check from either one. +1
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Well said darkk.
These lawyers don't have to work for a few years based on the check they got for this trial alone and they seek $6.7 million extra lol ok.
32. JC557 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Maybe these lawyers are living in multi million dollar penthouses then yeah they will keep on working.
34. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It's all about money, and positioning Smurf, you I, and a handful of others can see that. Samsung won't hurt a bit due to this judgement, apple will pay this and more to Samsung for future dealings. Fanboys from both camps rant n rave, cry n moan, b***h n whine, as these two juggernauts continue partnerships, and courtroom battles. Fanboys simply don't understand, apple and Samsung don't hate each other, we do over their products. There's is a symbiotic relationship, while we come to these sites, and make enemies of each other without ever even having met. SMDH, and we wonder why those two are so rich.
10. bluescreen (Posts: 154; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
i just got the s4 for free and couldnt be happier screw apple!!!
11. jameshoe (unregistered)
What a disaster when Samsung revealed Galaxy S, they're producing Apple chips for free.
13. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
I want money from Samsung to buy the Mac Pro for christmas!
15. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly lol, I'm suing them too. For what, I have no idea. +1
31. JC557 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I will claim to have invented the Question Mark and patented the use of in printed tutorial materials. I'm pretty sure their manuals are full of those. I shall sue.
36. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Lmao good one. I am also going to sue Apple for using the letter "a" in their name I patented the letter "a", when I was 10 years old +1
18. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Legal fees Apple is asking is too high, is Samsung lawyers are working for free, no they are not volunteers lawyers. Apple started the Patent war, Apple must pay for Samsung legal fees too. Apple made $150 billions in cash by selling Samsung made processors in iPhone and iPad. Apple is not losing money by Samsung copycat.
What happen if Samsung is not paying a billion dollars lawsuit to Apple?
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Then Samsung would get fined even more and have a possibility of the FCC coming in? Samsung has the money, no doubt, but the amount Apple seeks is (as always) too damn high.
41. darkkjedii (Posts: 17528; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hmmm I wonder why he didn't respond? Maybe cuz your comment was too much techie, and too little fanboy. +1 dude
47. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Can't doge the facts lol.
+1 right back at ya'.
61. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Yeah that's not how the law works. You lose the trial, you're responsible. Apple didn't "start" this, Samsung's patent infringement started this. They knew their designs weren't original, but they also knew that they're one of the only companies that could pump out millions of patent infringing smartphones and market them and make tons of sales before they'd get caught in court.
What happens if Samsung doesn't pay? Then they probably have to pay even more money and maybe even face contempt of court charges.
21. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Apple should turn around and give that money back to its customers and apologize for ripping off their customers for overcharging on their iPhones.
28. papss (unregistered)
That will be acold day in hell.. Apple is stingy to say the least. They need to drop prices if they want to grow their business model. Seems to be shrinking which is never good.
23. superfans (Posts: 155; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
When will apple stop suing and when will samsung stop copying ? This will never end !
29. E.S.1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
That's one way to make money after losing so many costumers to Samsung/Android.
Now that's innovation lol
35. dspkblympkbl (Posts: 51; Member since: 23 May 2013)
The judge reducing the amount from the first trials show you that the jury was biased (read shady.) I learned from doing jury duty that lawyers from both sides pick the jury so unless patents suits have different jury selection, Samsung should pick a better jury
62. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
The reduction had nothing to do with bias. The judge decided the damages for some of the patents were miscalculated, which isn't all that unusual considering that when they pick the jury they usually exclude patent experts since they could be biased. So they had a new trial to fix the miscalculation.
48. Taters (Posts: 6325; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Everyone should just gang up in Apple. They are abusing the system pretty badly and someone needs to step in