Apple rumored to launch 'iPad mini' this year, less than $300
0. phoneArena 16 Apr 2012, 07:39 posted on
We’ve been hearing about an iPad mini for quite some time now. Just like the little engine that could, this one will not quit. Another iPad mini buzz has broken out, this time from Chinese net portal, NetEase, who is reporting that...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4767; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
If this is indeed true then it will sell for $299.99. Yes to Apple that price is less than $300.00. lol
3. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
and yet they will still get you to buy overpriced apple care and overpriced accessories and overpriced apps you can get cheaper/free on the google play store
5. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4767; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yep that is Apple in a nutshell! Apple knows their customers would buy whatever they spoon feed them.
I am so glad I own an Android & shop for apps on the Google Play Store!
8. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
or side load them if you can't find them free lol. Everything apple is truly overpriced. a 16Gb iphone 4s is roughly $700 and its out of date the SGS3 will probably be $700-$800 depending if they have storage capacity differences, difference is you actually get for, not a piece of glass that will shatter after one drop.
26. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You're still a kid. When you get a little older you'll understand quality and cheaper isn't always better.
41. deadma44 (Posts: 18; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Come on, taco50. I know you think it's your job to be the iHole on here but do you seriously think Apple is a superior product as compared to Samsung and Motorola? 99.9% of us who visit this site are Tech geeks, not Marketing geeks. We found Steve Jobs offensive. A man in the vain of say, Jim Jones. He tried to create a cult of loyalists and control their tech buying habits. You should really check out a site called Zinio. It's all Apple tech, all the time.
45. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
So let me get this straight.
1. You found Steve Jobs offensive because he tried to market his product to sell a lot and make money? Isn't that the point of having a company? You're upset at him for being successful?
2. No one is forced to buy Apple products period. There's lots of alternative choices for both the pc and mobile market. People buy Apple because they choose to. In fact Apple users are the minority in both markets so if anyone is part of a mob mentality it would be android users.
55. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"...quality and cheaper isn't always better."
Then what is better, worse quality and more expensive???
24. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
And you'll buy whatever android spoon feeds you. Why do you end sentences with exclamation marks?
31. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4767; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Ok I buy stuff that is actually good and future proof. The new iPad is not quad-core, but my Asus Transformer Prime is quad-core now & ready for the future.
You on the other hand will need to buy a quad-core iPad this time next year. lol
Ohh & about the exclamation marks..... Here are a few for you, since it drives you crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How about now taco50? lol
35. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
android users are becoming the same thing they hate... spoon fed iDrones... or sheep...
you mention anything from samsung and they all go CRAZY like its the best thing on earth...
similar to how apple fans act with iDevices...
all this bragging is making the playing field equal for who has the most dedicated fans...
34. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
Not sure I can agree with that one. You don't have to buy AppleCare, but doing so means that if you break it, you get it replaced for $50...I don't know any tech company that does that. Also, their accessories are about the same as most retailers...they just never go on sale...so...yeah build your case on truth?
40. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4767; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
It cost me $50.00 to replace my phone with insurance. I don't need to go through Samsung at all. I can get accessories on sale almost everywhere. From the Verizon store, to the mall & on the web for my ANDROID PHONE! Try that with Apple. Everyone charges full price for Apple accessories because they take the EXAMPLE set by Apple.
So YES I am glad I have Android & The Google Play Store. How was that on building my case on truth? Nice try being cute JeffdaBeat! lol
43. greathero1 (Posts: 554; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Well, insurance on my Sensation 4G is $130 to replace it so I don't know where your $50 is coming from. As for Apple accessories, you can find many well discounted accessories online. Ever tried Ebay? Whine, whine, whine about nonsense.
48. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4767; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
You know greathero1 you might be 100% correct. I have not made an insurance claim since 2005 on the original Motorola Razr on Cingular. lol All I can say it was $50.00 then.
Also are you now my new little follower? Are you purposely looking for me so you can post on my comments? Ok I will humor you, I am very flattered thank you. I am so glad I matter to you so much that you must consistently comment on all my posts.
Thank you for being my new personal peanut gallery today! lol
Ohh & if you have to use EBay to score your discounted Apple accessories then you just proved my point. I hope EBay helps you out at the mall or at Verizon or AT&T or the Apple store!
I can get my discounted stuff ASAP you have to wait for it because you went through EBay!
46. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Well considering you lied twice. Insurance replacements for smartphones cost $99 and up. Also there's lots of places to get discounted Apple accessories both on sale and clearance.
Nice job on android phone in all caps. You continue to post with the mind of a teenage girl.
47. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4767; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Coming from you taco50 I am not insulted. You sound like a girl with your B*TCHING (you know you like caps on that one) like if you were some teacher or something! All the Apple stuff on clearance is for the older Apple products but I guess they will work on the newer stuff since all current Apple products are identical.
13. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Google has to offer the same/similar products for less just to get business. Otherwise no one would want their products.....J/K
Competition is great and thanks to Android, Google and Microsoft the price for Apple products will hopefully reduce to maintain market share.
14. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4767; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I love my dog Baxter & I love my Scotch! lol
You know they gave the green light for an Anchor Man 2. They are going to start filming soon! That is going to be a very funny movie!
17. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
hahah... I can quote this film all day!!!
Yeah, I heard the announcment on Connan a few weeks back. I cant wait!
16. greathero1 (Posts: 554; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Its a price point dude. So to Amazon, the Kindle is priced below $200 and all the other Android tablet makers who price their tablet $.01 below a certain price point should also receive a lol too? Whats your point?
19. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
in all technicality after taxes it's more than $300.......
42. greathero1 (Posts: 554; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
In all technicality, I was pointing out that all of these tablet makers do the same thing so why the UN-witty cheap shot. Dude whines like a baby over nonsense. Thats the point Im making.
56. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
in a way its similar to when you see on tv its like "less than $100!!!!" and it says $99.99 then in tiny letters (this price does not include shipping and handling)
2. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
woohoo another enlarged iphone.......its so revolutionary!!!!!! we get an iphone thats larger than an iphone but smaller than an ipad!!! how cool is that!!!!!! not much at all
12. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
This argument doesnt work and here is why...
Your opinion is that the iPad is an oversized iPhone. What does that make all the Android tablets? Oversized.......?
15. greathero1 (Posts: 554; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Dude, stop trying to make sense. There is no rationalizing with these rabid fanboys. Period!
18. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Yeah your right!
I've been reading phonearena articles for a while now. Its starting to become iPhone_Hate_Arena. I've always loved both Apple iOS and Android both. They offer something different for every users taste. It’s crazy that most of my posts are all standing up to idiots bashing iOS for reasons that are just ridiculous.
27. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
It's starting to? There's always been a group of Apple haters on here for years. They latch on to anything and tell us it's better than iPhone. They used to try and tell us the LG Dare and blackberry storm were better lol.
36. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
yeah it is pretty funny that the person pokes fun at an apple tablet being an oversized phone... when android tablets have the same concept...lol
i ask myself why dont they think before they type... why do they feel that android products dont repeat themselves...
most importantly why are they starting a samsung vs iphone war when technically its android vs iOS lol
samsung is successful because it creates business for all OS's
its exhausting trying to blow the flames out on this site... i think i'm just gonna sit in this corner davecann2 and relax...lol
44. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Great points all,
Yeah, its getting tiresome listening to all the nonsense. Its always one of these same arguments...
1. Just a large iPod
2. Samsung XXXX or the HTC XXXX will blow iPhone away when it gets released. (But never does)
3. It’s not innovative enough for them. (Kind of a valid point but still lame)
4. Don’t buy because of Foxconn... bla bla bla
49. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Up untill the release of ICS android tablets ran an entirely different operating system than android phones. Even with ICS tablets still have a lot more features than normal phones and due to their ability to run flash can be used as a laptop where your phone is to small.
38. deadma44 (Posts: 18; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Exactly the reason I own a HP Touchpad with webOS. I sold my laptop because it just bored me with the same OS on it as my desktop.
6. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If they lose the trademark fight with ProView, a 7 inch tablet from Apple may in fact be the iPod Touch XL....
Regardless, a 7 inch tablet was only a matter of time, once the form factor got traction in the market.
21. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
If they keep the same resolution (1024x768) but in 7 inches, we are looking at about 182 pixels per inch (if I am doing my math right).
I have no idea if that is "retina" quality or not, but it would put it higher than anything out there in its class.
Current 7 and 6 inch tables are sitting at around 160 (plus or minus) pixels per inch.
If the color reproduction can be on par with the "New" it would certainly be "attractive" in more ways than one.
It would make sense to keep the resolution at 1024 x 768; otherwise, folks are going to have to redo all of their apps.
22. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
didnt the kindle fire have a 7" 1280x800? i don't quite remember and its page is to boring to check .-.
10. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Huh, I thought they were referring to the iphone 5.....
11. tward291 (Posts: 559; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
i would think that apple lauching a mini would combat android cheap tablets not windows 8 but i guess i see android lossing sales to this rather than windows but we will see
25. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I think a cheaper tablet would pretty much kill off android tablets. Only reason anyone buys them now is if they're a much cheaper price. There's only a small group of geeks that would actually choose android.
30. bvalde09 (Posts: 177; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Not really. I like IOS but I would go through an Android Tablet as gives more options than the Ipad. I dont think a mini Ipad will ever hit the shelves as it will be inferior to an ipad. Remember the mini iphone concept? never really happen nor I think this mini ipad will happen
29. skymitch89 (Posts: 1244; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
The iPod Touch is basically an "iPad Mini", it just doesn't really have the tablet functionality of an iPad. Apple can do away with the iPod Touch by giving it a larger screen (of about 4.5-7in), giving it tablet functionality, and calling it an "iPad Mini". Otherwise they can call it the "iPod XL" with a 4.5in screen. I might be interested in an iPod that has the A5X, a 4-4.5in Retina display, and iPad like functionality.
33. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
The nice thing with the Touch though is that it can fit in your pocket. It is going to be MUCH more portable than a 7 or 9.7 or larger tablet obviously.
My work associate gave her daughter a Touch. When she is at her friends, she hooks up their wireless and the mom can iMessage back and forth, for essentially free.
52. a_tumiwa (Posts: 373; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
how about ipad micro? 5"-5.3" and competitor to Samsung Galaxy Note
50. Mandroid (Posts: 209; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
ipad mini? Wouldn't that be an.......ipod?
And the sheep bleat and drool and eat it up.
53. wendygarett (unregistered)
baby ipad :D
54. meowcenary (Posts: 187; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Little is the new big? It's so big it hurts I just want a small one?