Apple releases iOS 6.1; new features, kills bugs
0. phoneArena 28 Jan 2013, 20:23 posted on
Apple has released iOS 6.1, the latest version of its mobile operating system and the first update for iOS 6 since September and brings a number of new features and some bug fixes as well; among the new features is LTE support for more carriers and the ability of voice-activated personal assistant Siri to purchase movie tickets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3062; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
iOS 6.1 confirmed.
Keyword: Apple pie.
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
At least you should give a reasonable credit to apple tho :(
7. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3062; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Take a joke as a joke...never meant any harm Wendy.
8. wendygarett (unregistered)
Ok, shouldn't take that serious tho lol :p
50. hajyhajy (Posts: 6; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
all of you are wrong ..ios is the best best there is best there ever was
53. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3062; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
So there's more...i thought there was just one.
See comment #12. It's for you too...
17. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I don't think that I should care about this update
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 13802; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
And yet u chose to find, open, read the article, or at least the heading...and post that hmmmmm.
23. idroidequis (Posts: 103; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
As nuch as I love apple... The next firmwear for android 6.0 should be Apple Pie.. Harhar. As someone who uses both devices i think it would be funny.
24. Alan01 (Posts: 237; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Apple suggests that you have 1GB of storage for the update.
4. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5147; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
The most advanced mobile operating system continues to improve every day. Can't wait to see what 6.1 brings and then onwards to iOS 7.
6. blingblingthing (Posts: 466; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
"Can't wait to see what 6.1 brings and then onwards to 7." We just got android 4.1, you are ready for Android 6.1? Take it easy man.
9. tedkord (Posts: 5907; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Yes it does. And if you think it's impressive now, just wait til key lime pie.
12. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3062; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
"The most advanced mobile operating system continues to improve every day."
You do have a thick face typing and posting that...
If iOS is the world's most advanced operating system for you, you must be the most meaningless person i've ever seen here.
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 13802; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Wow Nathan, and u told me my post was irrelevant. Hmmm
42. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3062; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
And you find my comment irrelevant on the thread i'm replying to?
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"The most advanced mobile operating system..."
Even without a multitasking... :D
15. Mobilephile (Posts: 95; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
No, Apple has trained and conditioned their brains to think like that. They're in a happy ignorant bliss. Let them be.
34. darkkjedii (Posts: 13802; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It actually has full multitasking. I prefer it to androids to b honest.
37. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4144; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Are you sure iOS has full multi-tasking? I thought apps go into a suspended state after a few seconds of background time when you hit the home button to go out of the app. Certain apps can be given extensions of 10 minutes, but that's it. MacWorld did an article on that.
43. windy (Posts: 17; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
Who cares "non multitasking" when you get notifications from apps such as skype, whatsapp and mail?
Also you can switch between apps just like you get on an android.
You need to be clear that what you cannot do in terms of multitasking in android and not in ios.
65. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
please explain how it has full mulit tasking especially since the website says it does not.
25. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Advanced? Looks like you cracked a joke :D
Here's the next one:
36. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4144; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Most advanced? Hardly. Most simple, yes. Most polished, maybe. Most advanced, no.
40. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Most fluid probably .
iOS isn't advanced at all , even my 70 year old Asian grandma knows how to use it properly . (This ain't a joke , I'm serious )
46. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 867; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Further proof that you can polish a turd heheh
45. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 867; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Did you read the article? It does practically nothing..
58. sportbiker (Posts: 6; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
"The most advanced mobile operating system"
the most advanced but can't customize, no widgets, fake multitasking.
64. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Advanced how? Because it needs updates to correct itself on a monthly basis. 6.1 doesnt bring anything new if you read correctly all it does is fix old bugs while making new bugs
11. e.wvu (unregistered)
..... It actually takes about 4-5 minutes to download on wifi, not 30; plus it's 107 MB, not 1GB.
14. e.wvu (unregistered)
Oh come on! I get thumbed down for stating the facts?
16. BattleBrat (Posts: 1215; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Because Apple is PURE EVIL And we flog evil things with red thumbs around these parts.
You're right, it only took 4 min for that to download on my 4s, Thank god I have a RAZR, if I only had the iPhone I'd hurt myself. MAN THIS Phone is BORING!
22. e.wvu (unregistered)
Well, I had Android for 3 years, but went back to iOS and got the iPhone 5 after owning the GSII/III and Note 2. Yeah, not the most enjoyable OS, but works better for me....
35. darkkjedii (Posts: 13802; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
BattleBrat has several iOS devices according to him. He likes apple more than he wants to admit. He's scared the true hardcore droiders will attack him with their vicious red thumbs of flame war if he lets on that he really prefers apple.
39. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4144; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Or maybe, he legitimately doesn't like the experience he's had with his iOS devices and thus bashes Apple for it. No one should care about red thumbs.
I've owned 3 iOS devices; an iPad 2, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 4th gen. The only one I still use is my iPod, since I like to separate my music from my phone. The iPhone 4 was honestly just boring compared to my old Sensation, even the Radar (WP) I had was more enjoyable than the iPhone.
The iPad I found to be kind of useless, though I didn't really find tablets in general (regardless of OS) to be that much useful in the first place. But aside from that, the things I did actually use it for I found not as enjoyable as when I used a Xyboard 10.1 for the same tasks.
As for my iPod, I just use it because I'm kind of odd and like to keep my music separate from my phone, even though I do like the Holo theme of Android's music player better.
iOS is just boring, man. Why do you think Apple's market share is dropping all around the world, even just 4 months after the iPhone 5's release? It's kept the same basic look for 6 years, people are tired of it.
I personally do hope iOS 7 is the first aesthetic overhaul of iOS. I want Apple to do well, because that will compel Google and Microsoft to make their software even better, then the consumers are the winners. Let's just hope if that happens, Apple will actually compete back with them instead of suing for no legitimate reason.
60. nick5454 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Their market share is dropping? You're confused with Blackberry.
Apple has a stable market share and iPhone 5 sold more copies than any other generation.
More serious apps for enterprise companies are moving to iPads...I.e, used on oil rigs, presentations. I've witnessed this on many contracts as we created software to monitor the systems via the ipad from the control deck.
The market share is one sided because most of the non-smart phones use an Android OS, so 40% of their market share is of no choice to the user and doesn't have any effect on phone sales in china.
Tables: using Air share, docs to go, jump etc you can link real documents to your work and home pc to actually use a tablet as it was intended ( a portable laptop ). And games for the kids. It just takes the vision
66. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
What in the world are you talking about nick5454 go to wallstreet check it out. Apple has been on a decline while android has been on a climb. This holiday android tablets outsold apple tablets more then 3to1 check you facts before you post. Ill gladly go to wallstreet page and post a link here if you to lazy too
59. nick5454 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Your on drugs, right. Razr is the best phone for grandpa's like you to use. Get a real phone instead of last years news...oh and stop sleeping in your bob shelter and get off your anyone copr is evil crap...
If it took 4 mins, get a real connection or a router. Oh year you have the $8 bucks a month data plan
61. BattleBrat (Posts: 1215; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
1. One year I buy a Phone, the next year I buy a tablet 2011 Phone (RAZR, 4S) 2012 tablet (Sony Xperia Tablet S, iPad 4, worthless giant ipod touch AFAIC) 2013 (Moto X and ?) Got it?
2. I gave Apple a fair shake, it let me down. Apple did innovate, until about 2010, then Android got BADASS. Android got stable, then Android got smooth. People are now starting to notice.
3. I'm 27 My Grandmother uses an iPad, my Dad uses an iPhone and an iPad. I bounce between the iPhone and the RAZR, but I usually stick with the RAZR the OLD people I know use iOS, my friends are about 70% Android packing (GS3's mostly) , because iOS got BORING.
4. I have unlimited data on Verizon, but I used the Wifi router at work with the iPhone plugged into the wall, If 4min is slow than blame Apple, We have Fiber here at work and it is FAST.
27. 9thWonderful (Posts: 232; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
There's no rhyme or reason to the thumbing down in this place bro...you'll find that android users show up to more Apple articles than their own just to share their empty sentiments.
28. 9thWonderful (Posts: 232; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
Oh yea...& if you're not saying you hate Apple at every turn then you are pretty much a citizen of the damned
47. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 867; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
I don't get the thumbs down either..
20. quakan (Posts: 1245; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
The whole process took about 30 minutes for my phone.
18. pccapso (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
And there is a large chance that the 6.1 jailbreak will be out this week also. if not i will be soon after. A jailbreak does make owning an ios device slightly more practical.
67. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
The jailbreak is alright out. And honestly jailbreaking your iphone just makes it work more like an android. Apple doesnt let you do all the features jailbreaking does because it makes the iphone unstable and use more battery which it can not handle.
29. dkreventon (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 May 2012)
It requiers 1GB to extract and install, then delete any temporary files.
31. neurobiologist (banned) (Posts: 89; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
Apple is a mess. Products line and software. Most users do not use their products as they supposed to be used. A lot macs do have windows, iToys has jailbreaks. Thats ridiculous. All that wrapped by public margin, so users do realize they pay so much to get a mess and do gift the rest money to greedy apple. They have old computer games, and happy with being in past :\ Here in Europe, apple slowly becoming a joke and looser sing, if you wanna do mock somebody.
38. takay0 (Posts: 144; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
what about the poor battery life? is it last longer with this update
48. bransablan (Posts: 23; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
to me IOS is not the best operating system, atleast on ice cream sandwich all your apps can work together and are given functionality such as sharing to all apps on facebook twitter instagram and many others.... Rather than just put on home screen, or email, or message, or just facebook and twitter... Another thing too is widgets, without widgets youre missing something