Apple receives design patents for slide-to-unlock and original Apple iPhone design
0. phoneArena posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:01
Apple received a pair of design patents on Tuesday, one for the slide-to-unlock bar found on the bottom of the Apple iPhone screen, with the second patent covering the rounded corners of the original Apple iPhone; Apple's top rival, Samsung, was accused of copying some of Apple's designs in last year's heavyweight legal showdown which will have a sequel next year...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. thelegend6657 posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:04 6 0
Xperia's lock screen used to be very similar to iOS .
Luckily they changed that in the xperia Z
2. -box- posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:05 42 3
Oh for goodness sake... I hope they're invalidated tomorrow.
32. samystic posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:45 1 21
stupidity happens in America (Apple)... copycats come from South Korea (Samsung)... innovation comes from Finland (Nokia)... but still people in Finland do not want customers to be happy (Meego)
4. Tele7 posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:12 38 1
Oh yeah, because it is sooo revolutionary. Only personal opinion but this circle unlock in android is better
7. HDShatter posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:30 14 4
Can your android be dropped once and have the screen get a chips of glass falling out or cracks? Didn't think so.
9. idroidequis posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:39 12 0
Cracked glass is art. Just luke random paint on a canvas.
10. sprockkets posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:41 0 0
22. Kal-el posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:04 19 1
seriously? why do u even have an account
31. gallitoking posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:43 2 20
yes Android is better.. updating devices.. retaining value, customer service.. I can go on...
26. chadrick0814 posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:27 22 0
Maps, NFC,micro SD, widgets, hdmi out, BT file transfer, facial unlock, drag and drop files, etc,etc....but I'm sure none of that is matters....until Apple starts doing it.
28. Kal-el posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:30 2 0
don't worry mxyzptlk made an account to play apple's advocate....i mean devil's advocate for anything positive about android
29. Mittal posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:33 1 1
and THEN it will
wait for it
27. rusticguy posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:29 3 0
Undeclared Thermo nuclear war against Apple ... didn't you see how stocks tanked and how Apple is desperately trying to copy Android now ... Apple even failed in it's so called "SJNuclear strategy" rhetoric ... lol
44. sportbiker posted on 06 Feb 2013, 07:44 7 0
Run ubuntu OS in Android a.k.a. virtualization
34. thelegend6657 posted on 06 Feb 2013, 00:33 1 0
I like the lock screen on honeycomb note than jelly bean . I like to pull the ring out of the large circle
8. fanboy1974 posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:38 33 0
Does it matter anymore? All the Android superphones that will be released in 2013 will be better than anything Apple releases. Even WP and BB surpassed Apple in the innovation department. Only thing that is saving Apple right now are the apps. Take that away and the iPhone is ordinary.
47. PhoneAddiction posted on 06 Feb 2013, 09:10 0 0
They should quote this comment somewhere. It's seriously one of the realest statements I've read, but the iPhone is ordinary even with the apps. Not saying I'm against apple because I have a few ipod touches. I just use it for music on my road trips. None of the apps interest me.
11. sprockkets posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:42 20 0
I don't care if they have a design patent on it, cause it just protects the look. Their slide to unlock patent should be invalidated soon (already invalid EU wide due to the UK).
12. GoBears posted on 05 Feb 2013, 20:45 20 1
Of course it matters. Now they can they can pursue the sales ban on the Fascinate.
14. joey_sfb posted on 05 Feb 2013, 21:22 13 1
Apple fan this is the reason why apple has no innovation of late. They are too busy pursuing kid drawing. Rubbing them down on the judges face.
15. cripton805 posted on 05 Feb 2013, 21:47 16 0
Rounded corners as a patent... now Ive seen everything...
Im going to patent sharp corners...
17. samystic posted on 05 Feb 2013, 22:24 10 0
I m have look at my future in patent laws to earn quick money
30. samystic posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:43 5 0
and probably grammar classes... I have to look at my future in patent laws to earn quick money ;)
19. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 05 Feb 2013, 22:47 11 0
My hate towards Apple grows stronger everyday. This is the reason why I ditched my iphone 4s for a Note 2... does it affect Samsung's multidirectional slide to unlock ? this patent is sooo vague
20. rusticguy posted on 05 Feb 2013, 22:48 7 0
This basically has nothing to do with Apple ... it's more the national policy of USA that is to be blamed and USPTO is just a part of entire setup ... as for rounded corners now i think even the radius of rounding should be patented in steps of 0.01mm both above and below Apple's radius ... really ridiculous :(
21. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 05 Feb 2013, 22:52 6 0
To put BR-iBERY out of the equation is Naive....there MUST be some form of bribery involved here from Apple. The USPTO should be investigated
37. rallyguy posted on 06 Feb 2013, 02:37 0 8
Well...Al Gore is on the board of directors of Apple. One of the biggest frauds in my generation is helping Apple lead the way.
23. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:04 2 0
Here's a REAL design patent...the Coca Cola bottle shape..it is patented because it is UNIQUE...and rightfully so.....Apple's logic behind the rectagular patent is simply mindblowingly stupid.
24. Giggity posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:05 2 0
They probably start filing for a Waterproof patent now
25. Giggity posted on 05 Feb 2013, 23:11 1 0
Which the world won't see it for another 4+ years
41. InspectorGadget80 posted on 06 Feb 2013, 07:14 9 2
Bad that their baning the competition which is unfair to us the consumer. . Youre too thickheaded & blind too realize that.
35. Adithya7184 posted on 06 Feb 2013, 01:14 9 0
whatever apple throws at USPTO, they receive a patent for it.
36. GeekMovement posted on 06 Feb 2013, 02:01 13 0
Let apple keep wasting their time patenting ugly designs and their useless "innovations" while other companies progress in technology.
38. rallyguy posted on 06 Feb 2013, 02:45 0 9
I agree. It seems Apple's strategy is now to play victim and claim the reason they are not on top anymore is because everyone has stolen their ideas. Hmmm if your ideas were stolen, then wouldn't they already be on your phone? Ohhh that's right, because your "ideas" are rounded corners, slide to unlock, and a screen that has glass on top of it. Wow!
40. InspectorGadget80 posted on 06 Feb 2013, 07:12 0 1
Apple is being an a$$ when it comes too patents. Please stop posting patents articles or previous ones
42. ibap posted on 06 Feb 2013, 07:22 0 0
Did you mean "lightning" rod?
And if rounding corners is such hot stuff, what auto manufacturer first created the jelly-bean car and should be suing all the rest of them?
43. ibap posted on 06 Feb 2013, 07:23 0 0
Oh, wait - are they going to sue the makers of craft punches that round the corners of pieces of paper? Can we still make round cookies? Does everything need a 90-degree corner to avoid their wrath?
46. boosook posted on 06 Feb 2013, 09:04 3 0
Now, to be fair, the patent office should finally give to Google the patent for the notification bar that has been pending until now.