Apple quits green standard, federal agencies won't buy its products
0. phoneArena 09 Jul 2012, 02:52 posted on
After five years of complying with one of the leading green standards in the tech industry, Apple has now decided to no longer register its products to match the environmental standard…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. daniel_bargs (Posts: 325; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
Apple has never been green! They are always the mainstream grays and blacks that hurts my eye because i see the damn mirror of myself
2. TerryCrowley (Posts: 184; Member since: 31 Jul 2011)
Apple has only ever been green because it's the color of cash.
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
federal agencies are smart :)
5. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
"This obviously comes from Apple striving to bring thinner and better-looking devices, that customers have voted for over and over again in the last couple of years."
Lol is it just me or does this article seemingly try to defend and justify Apples decision to stop going GREEN.
Also I'm pretty sure its customers have been voting for a bigger screen and LTE.
9. Slammer (Posts: 1125; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
Exactly what came to my mind!
I'm not so sure going green has to sacrifice the two wishes mentioned that this article claims. More directly, If Apple is as innovative as everyone proclaims, shouldn't it be able to innovate around this road block?
There always seems to be something to justify.
6. Sniggly (Posts: 7182; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Way to go, Apple! That was one hell of a step backward!
The nonrepairability of the parts is getting a LOT of backlash from tech lovers everywhere.
8. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Can't wait until the Sheep try to defend this move. Would love to see if they have the nerve to say going GREEN is pointless and a waste of time. Who cares about our future and protecting our planet as long as we get a cool looking apple product!!!!!
14. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
well let me be the first - who gives a flying f*ck? nobody cares about going green in the bigger scheme of things & neither do you. its just your way of instigating a worthless "i despise Apple" argument. if Google made this very same decision lets not pretend like you wouldn't still support Android anymore b/c they chose not to go "green". people have bills to pay & food to put on the table...who cares about going green. don't point fingers when you know damn well if the roles were reversed you would act in the same manner. fandroid is unfortunately becoming synonymous w/hypocrite.
18. Tmachaveli (Posts: 425; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
What does that have to do with it? apple is a very arrogant company they basically told eveyone Fu*ck going green we want money so when your sh#t breaks that you paid thousands of dollars for breaks just go by another one it's okay. And you know what's sad is that most sheep will follow .most ppl in this day and age can't go and spend 1500 on a mac pro. It seems to me your just trying to stick up for a company who just doesn't give a Fu#k Thats the reason why most ppl hate apple because of the way the run there business
20. bayusuputra (Posts: 945; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
I do give a thousand f**k.. I love to f**k around, and certainly be glad to try flying f**k..
As a matter of fact, more and more android OEM is going green..
and isn't hypocrite is more synonymous with apple? Suing others of copying when they themselves copy from others?
33. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
I'm happy for Android being green, no really...
But what if they decided to stop going green, would you get fired up about it? Would you not support them?
36. thinking (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
It would depend on the choices available. If there are green choices doing the same things, I will oppose Google not going green.
But that is not the point. Apple is the thief that tries to rant about "stealing". Google is not. So, it makes a nice case of people trying to call out apple's bluff and not google's.
13. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
If you're a tech lover, the last thing you should be getting is an Apple product lol. You wanna play around with it? Go to the Apple store, I'm sure you can cover all it's functions in about half an hour.
7. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Since when is a 2,199$ laptop disposable electronic!?. To Justin Timberlake maybe.
12. ibap (Posts: 711; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
Why would it be disposable? Apple products never break! Or become obsolete!
And I have a bridge to sell you...
10. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Hmmm....not caring about federal agencies getting your products? That doesnt sound right. Apple cant be THAT arrogant, can they?
11. ibap (Posts: 711; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
Did you ever price replacing a battery in an iPod? Were they ever "repairable"?
15. remixfa (Posts: 14168; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
this move has nothing to do with "thinner" and everything to do with widening the profit margin by forcing people to get new laptops sooner. The amount of space saved by gluing the battery to the device vs a tiny latch that secures it is mm's worth of space at best. This just artificially drives up repair costs and forces people to upgrade more often. Which is TYPICAL Apple behavior.
Now.. where's our local troll that likes to tout how he thinks government and big businesses like apple (which they do, but not nearly the numbers he likes to think). Since many companies and nearly all factions of government go by this exact green standard to buy things, Apple forced themselves out of that arena.
22. TheRetroReplay (Posts: 245; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
That's exactly what I was thinking, Apple has always been about selling, not repairing. I've seen employees at their "Genius" Bar tell customers to get the new version even when the customer was protected under Apple Care because they don't either want to repair the device or they can't because of the way they build their products
16. Fuego84 (Posts: 295; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Yup huge step backward on technological advances. I mean disposable electronics just sounds so wrong. Anything disposable shouldn't cost more than $10 bucks. Apple just wants to sell more.
17. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
you guys always ask for apple trolls to defend apple articles...lol
they never show up... you know why? because the articles are already filled with android users with strong opinions. theres no room for discussion because the red thumbs will start flying...lol
smh DroidArena lol
21. bayusuputra (Posts: 945; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
"filled with android users with strong opinions"
well.. if they have better, stronger opinions, why are they not telling them? Or maybe they don't even have a case to argue since their beloved company turns out to be a liar and a hypocrite?
27. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
there is always 2 side to every story . but fandroids always want to listen to the one bashing Apple..
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
thats why i have nothing to say.. they wont listen..
34. remixfa (Posts: 14168; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
or maybe apple just needs more intelligent trolls. Where's Jeff at? If there was something intelligent to add from the Apple side.. he would be the guy to bring it.
35. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
he got tired of al the nonsense the fandroids say.. nothing new.. same excuses.. I am getting tired too..
38. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
iFans say the same thing too.....so whats your point?
ALL fanboyism is a disease....
19. Tmachaveli (Posts: 425; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
Okay then say something then if your going to make that statement
23. simplyj (Posts: 404; Member since: 23 Dec 2009)
Yeah Apple way to go! Being green should be the number one thing that matters when it comes to devices.
24. tluv00 (Posts: 134; Member since: 18 Oct 2007)
Screw the government. As a consumer I would wonder why it is that Apple is making it so much more difficult for consumers to have their products repaired or to replace a battery themselves?
I like having a PC because I can upgrade it myself. I like Android because I can root, customize or repair something brokwn myself. I like my iPad because of the games and it was free. I would never buy one even though I enjoy games on it.
28. mas11 (Posts: 1032; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
And yet most of the super liberal college students will still buy them even though they are all for saving the environment. (No offence to Democrats)
29. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1655; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Seriously don't all the hipsters care about the environment and s**t
30. joey_sfb (Posts: 3247; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I have already given up on Apple being a cool tech company.
1) Mean to their employment except for the few top guys running the company. Only makes incremental update to their products and charge an arm and an leg for it.
2) Copy good designs from their competitors and at the same time attack them using patent law suits.
3) Repent the above making Trillion of Dollars while giving little to nothing back...
37. JessJess (unregistered)
It's getting increasingly harder to defend them as time goes on.