Apple pulls Phone Story from the App Store: an iOS game about the dark side of your phone
0. phoneArena posted on 14 Sep 2011, 03:34
For three hours on the App Store there was Phone Story, an iOS game depicting the dark side of your smartphone - suicides at Foxconn, the Coltan mineral war in Congo, electronic waste. Now, that game is gone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Leyjee posted on 14 Sep 2011, 03:46 2 0
bloody Apple.. mind you though all the manufacturers probably have their secrets..
15. PhoneLuver posted on 14 Sep 2011, 09:18 2 0
While this might be true to some degree with respect to underpaid workers the war in Congo is pretty much over! It has had a stable government for some time now.
This is insulting to Apple. It's not as if Apple is solely responsible for this, yet "Phone Story" would like you to believe that..
We know what damage is done to the environment every time we start our cars, yet that doesn't stop a Billion people from driving to work!
18. remixfa posted on 14 Sep 2011, 10:31 0 0
while apple is not soley responcible for the congo part, as most of the manufacturers get their rare earth metals from the same place, they are responcible for the foxconn part. That part is strictly apple. Apple keeps such a tight control on its supply chain it knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it. They still dont. between the jumpers and the factories built without ventillation that explode, its one of the biggest issues I have with apple.
27. GH (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 13:09 0 0
The real problem here is Apple's censorship. We're not living in China.
22. shafboy posted on 14 Sep 2011, 10:55 0 0
I guess the world is corrupted and stuff like this won't stop happening. Ever.
Even though people know this the majority won't stop using their phones.
4. niptuck. (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 06:33 1 2
apple supports slavery! Here Here!
11. iKingTrust (banned) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 08:21 2 0
So did America. How you think we got here?
20. DMan (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 10:37 0 0
Oh! That justifies it!!
25. iKingTrust (banned) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 11:45 0 0
did not say it did. *face slap* Wake up
26. hahah.... (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 12:38 0 0
you funny, Dman!
5. Mooooo posted on 14 Sep 2011, 06:58 1 0
I did not think a game could beat the old "Custers Revenge" on atari 2600 but this one does.
6. andro. (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 07:02 3 1
Apple supports slavery in production of its products and mental and financial slaves with its 'customers'
An APPLE can be rotten and have worms inside.....islaves will still eat it anyhow!!
7. Man2006 (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 07:12 1 0
I also think that other manufacturers have dirty secrets like that, not only Apple. I JailBroke my iDevice, so I hope I can get that game from Installous to find out.
8. Mooooo posted on 14 Sep 2011, 07:22 1 2
Where can I buy one these iSlaves?
I will camp out overnight to get one.
9. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 14 Sep 2011, 08:08 3 1
It's funny the game actually made it to the App Store. They are mad that they didn't catch it I guess. This game Phone Story depicts real life situations. These things ARE happening in the world. People will keep buying phones, just like people buy those blood diamonds. It it’s sad but sometimes it takes something like Phone Story to see what is really happening in the world out there. To me the real shame is the waste. You would think that if they were to recycle the phones it would bring down some of the production costs & maybe the phone companies don’t have to mine as much & put so much stress on the workers of Foxconn & so on & so forth. I think that would alleviate a lot of the horrors. It won’t stop it completely but it will help a lot. This is real this is happening. I have been reading on this for years now & I am happy this is actually being brought out into the light. Hopefully this brings awareness to the plight of these people affected by those horrors!
23. xman (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 11:18 0 0
Building an App that will last less than 24 hours shows true dedication. I find it very amusing how iFans posts claim apple has no complicity in the issues raised by this App.
10. iKingTrust (banned) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 08:21 1 1
This is like blood diamonds. Sucks to be 3rd world. SMH. All for money that is messed up Apple to pull the app. I thought this was a democracy.
I want this app back in the apple store by the time i get my i5
19. remixfa posted on 14 Sep 2011, 10:33 2 1
there is no democracy in apple. they retain sole rights to every app for your phone and can/will pull them at any time for any reason. if you want a democracy you need to go to another OS.
13. downphoenix posted on 14 Sep 2011, 08:55 1 3
If the devs are reading this, bring to Android. Google doesnt censor its platform like Apple, eff Apple!
33. iKingTrust (banned) posted on 16 Sep 2011, 08:04 0 1
Its is on the Android market. Plus it is on installous. We were reading.
16. Hmm (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 10:02 1 0
Maybe Apple's leaning more to the authoritarian side than democracy? I dunno, looks like it. Afterall freedom of speech is what separates the US from other countries. Not sure, but Apple needs a remake of their image. Maybe it won't hinder apple sales due to their fanbase but I bet it does make one wonder when they want to buy their products. I for one, wanted an IPhone5 but I'm kinda wavering right now and would perhaps settle on a Droid bionic or a Nexus Prime.
21. ivanko34 posted on 14 Sep 2011, 10:38 2 0
A new version of the game must include : you are an apple lawyer suing all other manufacturers
24. iKingTrust (banned) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 11:44 2 1
oh yea that too. And world domination
28. BZrad (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 14:12 1 0
29. BZrad (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 14:13 1 0
30. iKingTrust (banned) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 14:17 0 1
both of those. I think Apple is protecting us from those types.
31. Woah (unregistered) posted on 14 Sep 2011, 22:50 1 0
Well, this aint got anything to do with the the discussion but man, that babe in your dp is smoking hot. Dayyum! Firefox ftw!
32. iKingTrust (banned) posted on 16 Sep 2011, 08:03 0 0