Apple patents a hover touch panel and embedded heart rate monitor
1. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Apple is the most innovative company in the world.......... when it comes to generating new types of patents :-p
7. ZeroCide (Posts: 724; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Hover gestures are already used by companies like sony and Nokia. Just like apple to take credit and the patent somthing that is not theirs.This patent is a typical broad patent that they will enforce and sue the crap out of everyone! This kind of thing just smothers innovation.
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7043; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Thank you for pointing that out Zerocide plus for you.
13. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
If it's your idea then you should sue if a competitor tries to copy. How many times have Samsung copied Apple?
28. tedkord (Posts: 7621; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
About as many times as Apple have copied them. Let me think... what smartphone already has hover gestures...? Hmmmm.
49. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I remember Sammy trying to sue Apple for FRAND patents. That surely worked out well.
30. techguymatt (Posts: 18; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
iThought of this in 2002... should i sue for inntellectual property lol... +1
48. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Thats exactly my point they make innovative patents not innovative products. Innovation and apple inc are antonyms lol
51. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
The iPhone is innovative. Don't be ignorant.
12. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Apple is the most innovative company in the world either way. You should be thanking them because without the iPhone changing the game you wouldn't have other OEMs releasing devices that people may like but aren't as good or functional as an Apple device.
20. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Your senses must be off because I wasn't joking. You love everything Apple, we get it. But you gotta ease up a bit dude. You always make it seem as though there was nothing before the iPhone and that we should all sing Apple's praise forever. The iPhone was a good phone, but now its just a relic. It's a nice looking shinning gold relic, but a relic none the less.
33. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
What in my reply says I'm backpedaling? Do you even know what it means? If anything I doubled down on my statement.
29. tedkord (Posts: 7621; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
So are our unkowledgeable comment senses.
18. ZeroCide (Posts: 724; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
If by most innovative means most copy and thieft and call it their own... Then yes. The iphone was just well maketed. Windows mobile could do more than the iphone when it launched. Windows mobile was just cluncky and not marketed properly.
There is no innovation in Apple... just alot of copy machines.
24. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Android is based on Linux. It borrowed several patented ideas from Microsoft. What's your point?
25. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
It borrowed. It never STOLE and called it their own .. that's the difference and that's where Apple is unbeatable. Steal, Rehash and call it your own through US Patent Troll's Office.
27. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
It's only the same group of iTrolls and Android junkies who accuse apple of stealing. Yet I don't see you accusing Samsung of stealing. They certainly did not become big off innovation .
Android stole a lot of ideas from Linux along with some other tech places.
34. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Just thought you might want to see this... Or can you not handle the truth? (here's a clue, they ALL steal. Including Apple and Google.)
40. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Actually I think it's you who can't handle the truth.
47. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
The words are coming directly from your God's own mouth, and still you can't admit what he says in the video. Yet I can't handle the truth. Man you are so far gone, it's hilarious!
52. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
So that's like when Google bought android? We all know google didn't come up with anything except search.
42. tedkord (Posts: 7621; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
First, Android did not steal anything from Linux. Android is Linux. And Linux is open source. You can't steal what is freely given.
But the point is, Apple steals as much as anyone. That's how tech progresses - you build on existing ideas. Literally not a single new feature in iOS 7 is original. They're all copied from others.
53. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
And neither is the latest features in android. You're mad because Apple knows how to keep it simple and that basically gives them a head up against their inferior competition.
31. tedkord (Posts: 7621; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The GUI. Grids of icons. Drop down notification shade. Slide to unlock. All of Samsung's 3g IP. Now hover gestures. I think hypocrisy was his point.
41. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
His point fell faster than a balloon filled with lead.
43. tedkord (Posts: 7621; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
His point was right in point. The fact that you are stuffing you fingers in your ears and yelling, "I can't hear you! I can't hear you!" negates nothing.
2. sprockkets (Posts: 1590; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Knowing apple it is probably anothert patent that gives a solution in search of a problem, like their stupid "did he move his finger in a straight line" patent.
4. paulislegend (Posts: 42; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
Apple, so inovative at buying other companies.
14. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
You mean like how Google bought the company that made Android? Or how they bought Youtube?
19. Commentator (Posts: 3019; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Don't forget Motorola! Also, MS buying Nokia.
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
No wonder Apple didn't change the design of the iPhone until now, because they're only focusing on patent useless things. lol
9. Sauce (unregistered)
This patent is 3 years old, probably a lot older because of the time they started working on it to the time they applied to it (in 2010). Read the article!
10. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
I wouldn't bother answering to xperiadroid, he'll go about the same logical argument over and over again. I don't really think he has a better understanding of why patents exist.
26. Sauce (unregistered)
You're right man. Slow news day for all my sites&blogs and I got comment happy haha.
Merry Christmas :)
6. JMartin22 (Posts: 1643; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
You can't patent something that broad. That's just dumb. That's a whole different type of technology, not something being done differently in a preexisting way.
32. tedkord (Posts: 7621; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You can't? That's most of Apples patent portfolio.
8. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
A hover touch panel sounds good I would like to see how they bring it up maybe say on the next flagship (idk if I'll upgrade though :/)...enough said, Happy holidays PAs, that includes everyone
15. TBomb (Posts: 486; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
not completely sure the technology behind it but my GS4 has air view...
21. Furbal (Posts: 617; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I was going to say the same thing. The note 3 and s4 both have features that do similar things.
What tech is apple introducing that is new/different enough so it should be patented? (I'd really like to know so I can learned about it...)
22. Furbal (Posts: 617; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Just for reference.
35. darkkjedii (Posts: 16185; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Merry Christmas fellas, enjoy the holiday.
45. darkkjedii (Posts: 16185; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You guys be cool, talk to ya Thursday. I'll be too full to talk tomorrow ;)
46. ddeath (Posts: 167; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
I always wonder when they put up the patents, was a working model already made and available? Or they just have an idea?