Apple patents Lytro style technology; will it be used in the next iPhone?
0. phoneArena 26 Nov 2013, 12:40 posted on
Apple could be targeting the Apple iPhone 6 to debut Lytro style photography for its phones. The Cupertino based tech giant just received a patent, No. 8,593,564, for a "digital camera including refocusable imaging mode adaptor". This will allow the user to take a picture at a certain resolution and refocus the picture after it is snapped...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. nerdylish (Posts: 51; Member since: 13 Apr 2013)
Nokia Lumia already has an app for that. It's called Refocus.
3. saurik (Posts: 86; Member since: 13 May 2013)
"The patent was filed by Apple in 2011."
That's why it's better to read the article before jumping to the comments section.
6. sprockkets (Posts: 1316; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
This isn't an app - it does this in hardware, or the Lystro camera does.
You really think an app will focus stuff well after the fact?
41. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Actually, we're already using the app, and it works great❕.. Quit being such a downer on WP.. It really makes you look sad..
44. johnbftl (Posts: 222; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
Where in this article does it say hardware buddy? It's impossible for hardware to do that. Try refocusing with a 35mm film camera after you've taken the image. What it is doing is essentially capturing a video or a burst of photos until you hit the capture button. It shows the image taken at the point you hit capture. From there you can roll back to a certain point before that was also digitally captured that was in focus. BlackBerry already had this in there Z10 and Q10. It's called Time Shift. It's nothing new. This is just Apple being Apple. To my point though, it's part of software, aka an app. It's not hardware.
7. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Apple may have filed the patent in 2011, but they still haven't put the tech into their phones. Nokia acquired the tech this year, and we got it in the phones this year.
10. Dastrix (Posts: 612; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Nokia: Acquired Lytro technology, made an innovative app (all in one year, #innovation)
Apple: Filed the patent in 2011, still no hardware and software support (#yolo)
23. sprockkets (Posts: 1316; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
This is not an app for the second time. Lytro is an actual camera that captures the light information and not just a 2d picture.
42. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yeah, but Nokia has already started working on this with Pelican Imaging's 16 array lens.. Give credit where credit is due, and stop being so quick to be negative when you see something WP related. It's so obvious what you're doing..And it's pathetic.
11. Ashoaib (Posts: 2389; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Then how come apple got patent if other company developed it too?
37. cheetah2k (Posts: 859; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Nek minit Apple patents Oxygen style air we breath.... Fcuks me how they get away with this BS
46. number29 (Posts: 185; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Maybe the other company's implementation is different?
12. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5926; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Ah... just in time for a patent fight between Nokia and Apple. I wonder how long before the lawsuits get filed?
17. androiphone20 (Posts: 1514; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Sorry, not going to happen. Apple's patent differs cuz it has two modes
27. PBXtech (Posts: 982; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Nokia ate Apple's lunch the last time they locked horns. How long before they get filed depends on who is going to be filing them.
33. sum182 (Posts: 229; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
It wouldn't be Nokia this time depending on when it would happen (which i'm pretty sure it won't). It would be Microsoft
2. Ashoaib (Posts: 2389; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
OMG.. more cases, more put hold on technology
4. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6697; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Great com on enough with all these PATENT B.S. Apple is a patent whore.
15. Ashoaib (Posts: 2389; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
But its not their fault, they will apply for patent for each n everything... its US government who is at fault by keep granting them patent of whatever BS... one day they will take the patent of breathing and no one will be allowed to breath without apple's permission
24. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Apple's the one suing though...and apparently against all reason and logic, as shown in the Apple-Samsung court case.
28. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
thankyou, you must be an exceptional lawyer to pass verdicts based on forum gossip! Patents protect rights and will help samsung too "if" someone is foolish enough to copy their tech.
31. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Copy? Who's copying who? Look at the F700, the LG Prada, and then come back to argue with me.
34. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Here I am arguing with you. What do you think of this iPhone "Purple --2005"? LG Prada??? LOL...
36. joey_sfb (Posts: 3143; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
If we apply Apple patent logic to Apple itself. Apple has no right to be in the cell phone industries at all.
Apple claim they should solely be the one to benefit from their innovation in smartphone but they forget 2G/3G smart phones was around longer than their iPhone such as Nokia N95. Apple also continue to manufacturer phones without paying royalties to the 3G patents owners. This happen because they think they could bully their way thru with the backing of US government.
Apple fans are blindly devoted. And at iPhone Arena they have find a good place to piss at every Android news especially the ones from Samsung.
40. stealthd (Posts: 979; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
You're not really making any sense there. The N95 is older so. . . Apple shouldn't be able to make a cell phone? Apple DOES pay royalties to 3G patent owners (that's a big part of what the whole Nokia v Apple suit was about). 3G patents are standard, meaning anyone can get into the game for a fair price, including Apple. You really think they'd be making phones for 6 years now and make the most money in the industry and somehow get away with not paying?
45. chemhaz (Posts: 160; Member since: 04 May 2012)
All phone designs were heading for larger screens and fewer buttons.
They all managed to release a touch screen phones around the same time... so the Apple concept design "purple" was either leaked (highly unlikely knowing what they are like), or they were all heading in the same direction, but I bet Sammy and LG got their product from concept to reality in less time.
39. stealthd (Posts: 979; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Wait, you mean the F700, the Samsung keyboard slider that was announced and released AFTER the iPhone, and the LG Prada that anyone with eyes can tell the iPhone wasn't based on?
47. number29 (Posts: 185; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Hang on, wasn't Samsung found guilty of infringement and fined a significant amount of money? That would indicate Apple were right to sue since they won the case so convincingly.
5. sprockkets (Posts: 1316; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
After reading about the lystro camera, what a rather lame "improvement" this patent is compared to what they did.
18. androiphone20 (Posts: 1514; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
I was thinking about its aquisition of PrimeSense and it could actually add up, Maybe they align
with each other to create some cool new
8. Taters (Posts: 3534; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Wait? So Apple is allowed to take someons s existing technology and modify it and patent it while no one can take packaging and round corners and modify it without supposedly costing Apple billions of dollars? Lol every major player should just team up and get rid of them now before their ego gets even bigger
13. Ashoaib (Posts: 2389; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
But the problem is this US government keep granting them patents, why? just bcoz its US company?
19. androiphone20 (Posts: 1514; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
whoa, wait here. This is the only company cuz it's being brought to your attention. So many other patents are being granted
25. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Yeah, but Apple is abusing the patent system. Motorola, HTC etc. are suing because of legit 4G patents. What's Apple got? 4 round corners and "slide to unlock", which is pretty much implemented on every public toilet door?
29. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
no the s2 was a cheap rip off of the iPhone albeit a powerful phone.
32. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
And the iPhone was a cheap rip off of the LG Prada. What if Samsung's S2 looks vaguely like an iPhone? Doesn't IOS 7 look like MIUI?
49. number29 (Posts: 185; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
And that's for MIUI to sue Apple if they think they have a case against them. Just because one company chooses not to sue another doesn't mean Apple shouldn't sue anyone for stealing their stuff. Where does this idiotic logic come from?!
48. number29 (Posts: 185; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Apple isn't abusing the patent system. They are using the patent system to project the IP that they developed or bought. Perhaps you should redirect your frustration to the real culprit; Samsung, for implementing those protected designs into their products and forcing Apple to sue them as a result? Who do people try and protect the thief? Do these people endorse intellectual property theft?!
14. ZeroCide (Posts: 698; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
This is why the USPTO is broken. They always give patents to Apple even though there is prior art.
26. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
They're doing it on purpose. It's called nationalism. Why else dues think the Apple ban on iPhones was vetoed? Only in the US can Apple win such an illogical court case.
35. ZeroCide (Posts: 698; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Either that or they have someone at the USPTO in their pocket. I have suspected this for a while.
22. sprockkets (Posts: 1316; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
They can improve it but they are still not able to use the underlying parts without permission if patented.
16. Ashoaib (Posts: 2389; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
US only care about the money, look at all their evils just for money and quite ironically their all evils are raped up in a beautiful story of making this world safe
38. deewinc (Posts: 170; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Funny that Apple patents technologies they do not have. Next is the wrap around display! ROTFL.
43. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)