Apple patent lets iOS users distribute and attend a private concert
0. phoneArena 27 Aug 2013, 07:06 posted on
The USPTO has awarded Apple with a patent on Tuesday for "Coordinated group musical experience,"which allows music to be shared amongst iOS device users connected via a wireless network; the idea is based on something called "Silent Discos" in which a number of people get together to listen to music being played...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4671; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh, copying Samsung's Group Play eh? Go home Apple, you're drunk!
5. frydaexiii (Posts: 1144; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
That's exactly my first thought...Really, Apple is just blatantly stealing everything now, Notification, Notification Toggles, WiFi Direct, Group Play...What's next a patent/feature that checks if your eyes are looking at the phone to cancel screen timeout?
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5472; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Apple is nothing but a POWER HUNGRY GREEDY COMPANY. all they care bout is CONTROL plus that drawing looks like it's done by a 5yr old.
13. gallitoking (Posts: 4630; Member since: 17 May 2011)
you arte not drunk when you get awarded a Patent..I detect some hating..hmmmm
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5472; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
think theres something seriously wrong with u. first of all SAMSUNG STARTED this APPLE just wants too control and sue for later. typical
15. Gunjit (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
it's nothing like Samsung's Group play
I think you haven't read the details of patent above
16. Ninetysix (Posts: 1011; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Of course not. It doesn't matter though..lol. These guys love Apple so much that they will post as soon as they see an Apple article.
23. frydaexiii (Posts: 1144; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
"The idea is based on something called a "Silent Disco" in which a number of people get together to listen to music being played. But instead of this group listening to the tunes over a loudspeaker, the audience listens via a headphone that each member of the audience is wearing."
This = Group Play
"The Apple patent, which was filed in March 2010, differs in a big way. Unlike the "Silent Disco" at which everyone is listening to the same song, the Apple patent allows each listener's device to detect characteristics of the song being played by the DJ, such as tempo, and tries to match it up with the library of tunes stored on each listener's device. This means that two iOS device users attending the same concert could end up hearing different songs. Unlike "Mobile Clubbing," where each participant is in the same geographic area, Apple's patent allows for users to be hundreds or thousands of miles away as long as they are connected on a wireless network."
Pretty sure this was already an app, some DJ app that lets people become a DJ and stream music to other people
28. Sauce (Posts: 744; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
TTFM has been around for years. If you were to still agree on your own comment, you would also agree that "group play" = Turntable FM?
25. GeekyGene (Posts: 76; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
"The Apple patent, which was filed in March 2010"
Reading is fun.
9. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1616; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Awesome....because its an android feature! Your such an sheep!
17. gallitoking (Posts: 4630; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is a Samsung feature.. Samsung can put it on their Windows phone if they wish....
22. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
oOOOooOoOoOo I'm hurt!
BTW what android feature buddy?
4. AfterShock (Posts: 917; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Grandma is going to love this with some big band music like Glenn Miller.
Fad idea, real world usage=zip.
8. amiaq (Posts: 314; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Can your grandma add my grampa on her iPhone?
21. letgomyeggroll (Posts: 137; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
Innovative to what? That they can copy what Samsung been using for the last years and they want to rename to get a patent? They can patent on the name but in the court's eyes its the same technology that they are using. So innovative? NOOOOO far from it, it's what do best is to attempt to get credit that they refuse to go along with because they think it will fell.
Go find something that Apple innovative about.
11. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 368; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Meh. Same as Group Play. I really hate it when people are happy to hear stuffs that iPhones have this and that when it is already in Androids way before Apple introduced it. I talked to my friends about iPhone 5S rumored 12MP camera and a fingerprint scanner and they were like :O :O :O Now I can tell that most people prefer iPhone because it's a status symbol. -_- But it can be said that an iPhone is also a great phone.
19. lilg29 (Posts: 73; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
They are actually copying something they already have in Europe called "silent disco" concerts. I'm not sure why they would just patent every idea known to man but we better not live in a world where everyone has an iPhone and they all go rogue and sassy on us...
24. GeekyGene (Posts: 76; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Judging from the comments thus far, people want to read the article before commenting? It's actually different to "Silent Disco" as explained, also I don't remember Samsung having 'Group Play' in 2010. You know, when the patent was filed...
27. TBomb (Posts: 75; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
sounds to me like a radio.... everyone listens to the same thing in sync... i was just listening to 95.7 and it works pretty similarly