Apple now holds the patent for rectangular device with rounded corners
0. phoneArena 08 Nov 2012, 06:40 posted on
As unbelievable as it may seem, the design for a rectangular device with rounded corners is now officially in Apple's portfolio of intellectual property. Patent number D670,286, which the company filed back in 2010, has been issued by the USPTO on November 6, and within it is described "the ornamental design for a portable display device", as pictured below. In other words, the majority of tablet manufacturers could potentially get sued by Apple for selling products that look too much like an iPad. But is that really going to happen?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. angelesmec (unregistered)
What device might cause a manufacturer to get sued by Apple, the present and past devices or just future devices to come?
52. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Dont ask, just say "rotten, non-innovative and incompetent Apple" is a fact
74. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 10546; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Protecting your ip isn't incompetent or rotten.
77. lyndon420 (Posts: 3714; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
So you think they deserve the right to anything rectangular with rounded corners?
79. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The basic criteria for a patent are that it be new and non-obvious. Given that a) We knew Apple was working on a tablet before the iPad was introduced and b) the 2007 iPod Touch and iPhone are rounded-off rectangles, is this design non-obvious?
110. Peter98 (Posts: 119; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
I will say yes. Why they can't, other manufacturer no going to take it. You can also take copyright of your name.
132. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Go f**k my grandma's cow, Apple
PS try not to sue it for having round toes!!!
82. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
So if Microsoft had applied for and gotten the patent instead (they had tablet PCs as early as 2002 that were rectangles with rounded corners) you would say the same thing?
By the way, the nanosecond I saw your post in the free Google services post I knew you would be here saying something in support of this.
86. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Ok, I'm running to the US Patent Office to apply for a patent on "round,black in color rubber made objects". Now all tire manufacturers past,present and future will have to pay me!!! Is that Apple's line of reasoning?
151. paulislegend (Posts: 42; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
I like your style, sir. Many thumbs up to you.
83. Lboogey6 (Posts: 281; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
i was interested in hearing a reply to justify backing this up. basically you want Ford to have all other vehicles stopped and any other first creator to seize the ability for growth and competition? this isn't just a feature or gesture its a design so simple that otherwise youre ok with people having to by triangle, round, or pentagon shaped devices if they don't want apple. i hate to say it but you're an idiot i didn;t want to go there but as im typing you just said hitler had every right to weed out any other options
92. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
When searching the USPTO's registry, I found that no one has yet patented "a method for obtaining oxygen for use in cellular respiration." Upon this discovery, I promptly filed for said patent. Within a matter of years, I will sue no fewer than 7 billion people for violation of my patent.
All this, because protecting my completely original idea is perfectly moral.
123. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
So...Apple created the rectangle. Thats what you are saying?
Please take a look at pic 4...and tell me Apple isnt insane. At some point....even the most blind follower has to see thru the Distortion Field...
138. darkdroid (Posts: 44; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)
u blind hypocrite ..you cant even see how insanely brainwashed you are
65. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1235; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
meh...its getting tiring how hard Apple is trying to make a quick buck....its pretty clear that they realize they're on their decline because of their attitude...
Apple enough already....just make a winner device...I am sure everybody loves a good device if you can provide the customers with one!
Just try suing Google and the whole Android community...I would love to see that
87. GENERAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
Who cares, rectangle with ugly curves look ugly.
2. vayacondios80 (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
This is really stupid of the patent office to really let this happen
16. sarb009 (Posts: 302; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Yeah this is the limit of stupidity or u can say it has been crossed by apple and patent office
21. Aeires (unregistered)
Stupidity on one side, greed and arrogance on the other.
54. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3605; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Come to look at it...those pictures look better than the real thing!! :D (sarcasm)!!
But i'm really sick and tired of the patent system spoiling everything!!
106. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
Finally, the blame is being placed in the correct place. We can argue up and down about Apple's lawsuits, but in reality, the beef should be with the patent office that allows this crap to go through. Not for a moment would I have awarded Apple this patent.
109. Aeires (unregistered)
Getting the patent is one thing, using it in malicious manners is another. Apple is not innocent in some of their lawsuits, they are using patents to bully opposition and just because they had them awarded from the patent office doesn't make it right.
19. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
That's because they're getting paid, money has found its way around the patent office.
30. shy2papa (Posts: 289; Member since: 23 Jan 2010)
They might as well patent the word Air also no device should have the word Air, in-short why no patent the mobile industry while you are at it.
This is really really stupid
43. SGSatlantis (Posts: 222; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Yeah and then Nike would pay Apple royalties, like no more then 35$.
45. paulislegend (Posts: 42; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
This is absolutely what is wrong with the patent office...THIS PATENT IS CRIMINAL. I don't understand why the regulations on what is being patented isn't made to be more specific??? for instance... why isn't the corner radius a requirement??
how can such a non specific patent be passed when there is prior art already in existence... why is Google's drop down notification tray still pending!!!!!
46. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I find this story iRRelevant.
Moreover, my long-@$$ story short, it is an abomiNattion of U.S. tax dollars to allow the U.S.P.T.O. to grant the application.
70. paulyyd (Posts: 338; Member since: 08 Jan 2011)
Lol how old are you? like 12 right? you sound mad brosef
73. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Wrong, I'm 15; 12 is never a good year.
101. JGuinan007 (Posts: 675; Member since: 19 May 2011)
This just shows how bad our patent system in the US really is.
107. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Might have aswell patented a blank piece of paper ...
3. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I have nothing left to say on this matter.....
Its amazing that the USPTO can invalidate bounce back....but give them this....
13. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
I think this is aimed at the Nexus 7 mostly
5. angelesmec (unregistered)
What if your device is rectangular with rounded corner but irregularly shaped when looked at the side of the device is it also affected?
6. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Holy .... Better throw my kindle ,my phone,box of instruments ,books,fridge,microwave safe boxes and microwave and the hdtv before i get sued for rounded rectangles
7. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
lmao screw you apple, rounded corners can't be patented, it's like saying "hey you can't use 4 wheels on your car, it's mine!!"
but whatever it is...apple is still better than RIM
51. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3605; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
That might just happen if Apple start manufacturing cars!!
102. Googlethis (Posts: 179; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Don't give them ideas they just might start doing that Imagine A smart car with a giant apple logo on the side both in white and black with no windows. lol
108. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3605; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
In that case, i can predict that Apple will patent 4 circular tires, 2 on each sides one right behind the other.
Adding to that will be a 2X drive...and the 4X drive will be the luxury version. iDrive.
139. pegasso (Posts: 268; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
Apple is better than RIM?
you must be :
a) rabid isheep in disguise
b) 12 years old "alay"
c) smoking crack
8. rainyday (Posts: 44; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
One of the most pathetic patents of all time, if not the most. This is beyond ridiculos.
Imagine if the wheel was patented...
40. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
USA Court room 2020....
Apple: sir! Ford infringe on our wheel patent.
Ford: sir! it isn't fair...wheel can't be patented....
Apple: but rounded wheel can be...
Judge: from now ford cars are banned...
He he he...
9. blingblingthing (Posts: 521; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
How can you patent something that existed before you? Who grants such a patent. What next, patent color screen lcds?
10. amozhi (Posts: 130; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
This is ridiculus...Apple didn't invented the rounded rectangle...
11. angelesmec (unregistered)
Pathetic Apple doing everything it can to eliminate competition..rectangular devices with rounded corners is so generic..
Much better if they patented with the description "rectangular over priced piece of crap with rounded corners" because that best fits their products.
56. rallyguy (Posts: 620; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
That's why I won't buy their products. Those that do only support their effort.
12. nbringer (Posts: 180; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Fig. 4 is priceless. Typical Apple innovation.
57. rallyguy (Posts: 620; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
The patent office has sold out.
115. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Well, not sure it is helping - here is more info on that bill/act -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L
17. moanismk (unregistered)
I'm sorry, BUT THIS IS f**kING RIDICULOUS!! I MEAN SERIOUSLY?! Apple, protect your stuff, THAT'S your right. BUT THIS?!
ERMAHGERD THERS ERS RERTERDERD!!!
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 19450; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I like apple, but I hope this gets invalidated.
28. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Do you now understand why half the site hates Apple? Its because of s**t like this. USPTO needs a change in 2013.
41. darkkjedii (Posts: 19450; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I don't agree with everything apple does dude. I jus don't get caught up n corporate BS that doesn't pay me.
84. wumberpeb (Posts: 453; Member since: 14 Mar 2011)
It may not "pay" you, but it certainly will affect every company who has to design or innovate out of fear of falling within the now rapidly expanding boundaries of Apple's design patents infringement. Nobody should copy anyone, and there's plenty of room for anyone to play nicely together, but granting this patent for Apple effectively makes the sandbox a bit smaller...