Apple might have propped Sharp with a cool $2 billion to ensure future screen tech supply
0. phoneArena 08 Nov 2012, 02:58 posted on
If so, Cupertino kills a few birds with one stone - it ensures continuous supply of screens for its new iPhone and iPad models, diversifies from Samsung and LG as display suppliers, and gains access to Sharp's screen tech, which is at the forefront of LCD development, and might come in handy if/when Apple decides to go ahead with a TV business...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. MeoCao (unregistered)
It would be a good job from Apple if it doesn't restrict Sharp relationship with Apple's competitors as condition for the investment.
4. _Bone_ (Posts: 2149; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Did that $368M fine reported yesterday really happened, if so, where's the big media coverage?
5. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 6841; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
The fine from that FRAND patent case regarding FaceTime?
6. _Bone_ (Posts: 2149; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Yeah. Doesn't seem to cause any media buzz.
8. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
now we see that their arrogance is more powerful than their brain :-D
this was the peak Hitl*er started falling :)
9. Aeires (unregistered)
There's also rumors Apple is considering buying Sharp as a whole. Hopefully it's just a rumor with absolutely not truth to it.
10. ryq24 (Posts: 606; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
investing in sharp is a good move for apple. you scratch my back i scratch yours.
11. downphoenix (Posts: 2768; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Sharp has some great displays. I considered getting a TV from them next time I get one. However, if Apple buys them, I'll look elsewhere :)
12. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
good for sharp...coz they are actually dying... i pity them! they have good TVs but then again, samsung ate all the shares! :(