Apple might have been aware about easy-to-scratch iPhone 5
0. phoneArena 24 Sep 2012, 06:46 posted on
The Apple iPhone 5 is here and a lot of you have gotten to not only hold it in your hands, but also carry it in your pockets sometimes along with keys, coins and other things…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. McJobs (Posts: 102; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
polycarbonate unibody with zirconium camera detailing and side keys > aluminum
28. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
too much for premium build quality and calling it a piece of jewelery
35. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2952; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Apple's quality going down...down...down...!!
49. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
but it is right according to iPhone's inferiority of the.....still just a board with icons....stuck in 1980
45. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
a premium phone with premium quality with a very affordable price tag!
heard some rumors that lumia 920 will be only $512 or 3999 HK$ in hongkong..
while an iPhone 5 price is estimated at 50,000 pesos in the philippines! thats almost 4 months salary of an average person here with a job!
12. MeoCao (unregistered)
One S also has anodized aluminum shell but is nowhere as prone to scratches as iPhone 5.
18. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Nokia Lumia's 900 has fully monolith Polycarbonate body and in my opinion it is very practical and strong build.
27. dsDoan (Posts: 204; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
My Galaxy S 3's polycarbonate non-unibody comes out of my pocket, full of spare change and car keys, scratch free every day, as well.
29. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
There's a reason Nokia chose not to continue the anodized aluminum it was doing with the N8 and E7. The new polycarbonate is much better, and scratches don't change the color.
42. lsutigers (Posts: 558; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
My EVO LTE is anodized aluminum and polycarbonate and has not scratched at all. I think it has to do with the finish each manufacturer uses.
48. bayusuputra (Posts: 931; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
after a year, my aluminium Desire S is scratched only because that 6-foot drop to a rough concrete floor and constant throwing onto my table after a day's work..
and it survives being in my bag with all those chargers, pins, keys, extension cables when i ride my bike home..
oh, well, fruit has expiration date, but robots last longer..
2. amiaq (Posts: 311; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
I might wait a little bit longer before buying iPhone 5 for my technologically handicapped girlfriend. Hopefully Apple will fix this.
3. E.N. (Posts: 2216; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
This could be true but I dont really believe it. Unless Apple announced the manufacturing fault to all the workers (which they'd never do if they were just going to continue production) there should be no way that this random guy will know when Apple will correct the error. And 10% sounds a little too low.
40. matrix_neo (Posts: 306; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Well then we're not surprised if an ifan doesn't believe on it, still waiting for apple announcement. If apple denied it and you will still believe it? Almost every site is reporting the same problem, iphone 5 users have the same complaints. Let's see for more days if just only a minor problem.
41. E.N. (Posts: 2216; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
There's not enough evidence to prove that Apple knew about faulty conditions, ignored it, and continued with production. We need some kind of evidence and not just a random Foxconn worker. Who is this guy and how does he know that only 10% iPhones are good. I don't believe everything I read in the Internet.
6. bloodline (Posts: 675; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
but according to phonesarena, the iphone is the best built device ever !!!!.... care to retract a bit on your review?
15. prakesh (Posts: 92; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)
no thet wont do that. u know what i mean. hahaha..
this is what the most valuable company treat their customer?
they spent $199.00 assembled iphone 5 then they sell it almost $1000
how bout that always insulting china made? youre beloved iphone 5 made in china though. with very poor quality
19. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Yea, right after they retract the bit about Apple Maps being a good service in their iOS6 review.... that was much less of a review than a generic overview void of usage facts.
26. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
phonearena would never do that. I really wish Michael could review ip5 ans ios6. i am pretty sure ip5 would never get more than 8.0.
50. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
it is actually is.. saw a drop test comparing s3 and iPhone 5 durability, iPhone dont even break a glass while s3 already suffering!
the aluminum is the only problem with it but the over all its really a good built phone!
7. Aeires (unregistered)
Could be the first iPhone in history to get a seriously low trade-in value.
10. darthinvader (Posts: 63; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
"""Nothing's gonna change my HATE for you..
You oughta know how much I love to HATE you..
WP8 may change my whole life through...
But nothing's gonna change my HATE for you"" :P :P
11. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
Great Hera, can you say iDefect?
14. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4174; Member since: 14 May 2012)
An "iconic" company with a record of producing "the highest quality in mobile phones" had 90% of their phones faulty.
Is it just me, or is karma coming three months early this year?
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 7753; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Mine hasn't scratched yet, with keys, and coins in the same pocket. Loving my ip5...great device good job apple.
20. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
You have the white or the black one? The black is coated so obviously it will scratch easier. No sane person should expect unprotected matt coating to last, but then again no sane person would design such a product that is used and abused every single day. Loved the first gen iphone because it aged well, but the iphone 5 will just turn into ugly mess.
22. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Congrats then, glad you didn't pick the black one. And other manufacturers use polycarbonate for good reason, just because it's polycarbonate doesn't mean it's POS PLASTIC.
36. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Ok you want to ban me?:) "not piece of s**t plastic" i.e. polycarbonate is good material for phones.
38. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
No, I don't want to ban you, i just don't understood meaning "POS" abbreviation. :)
25. N6600 (Posts: 15; Member since: 17 May 2012)
It's not an issue. It's a feature! :/
30. devildlm1 (Posts: 65; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
This is just too funny! "haha your GS3 is plastic and my phone is thinner"... iPhone 5 user must put plastic case on which makes phone thicker than GS3 :p
37. wolstenbeast (Posts: 25; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
If Apple was aware of these issues and chose to ignore them, I am betting a class action lawsuit might be threatened, just like consumers did with Antennagate
39. Zero0 (Posts: 533; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Too many ways to respond.
"I'm so glad that this phone is thin."
"Good thing Apple avoided using cheap plastic."
or (possibly my personal favorite)
"You're holding it wrong."
43. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2952; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Hey, hold on, hold on...any of you people bought the iP5? Has anyone read the manuals, warranty card, safety booklet or whatever's inside or outside the box? Go through them once again...check for a disclaimer regarding the issue.
I'm certain you'll find something like this, "Disclaimer: Please keep the iPhone away from sharp protruding objects (even in your pocket; wrap it with a piece of cloth if possible) as it might scratch the sensitive PREMIUM ALUMINIUM surface on the phone. If there is any scratch on the surface, your warranty is void."
Just check, disclaimers are often written in smallest fonts available. :P
44. matrix_neo (Posts: 306; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
nope ifans will never do that LOL it's from Apple everything from Apple is the best... for them. Ifans are too busy staring in their new 4" screen and using their new maps to locate where are other ish33p. LOL again!
46. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2952; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
LOL...the biggest screen ever on an iPhone yet!
47. Schmao (Posts: 302; Member since: 05 Jul 2009)
This won't really matter. People will still be prideful about their beloved iPhone 5 even if it looks like it got ran over by a car.