Apple may be planning to launch the iPhone 4 in India
0. phoneArena 14 Jan 2014, 19:10 posted on
Earlier today, a report from The Guardian said that India was set to become the second largest smartphone market in the world this year, staying behind only China. And, a new rumor is saying that Apple might be hoping to cash in on this emerging market by re-releasing a budget device, which by Apple standards means the 4 year old iPhone 4...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. nctx77 (Posts: 1446; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Well at least ios 7.1 runs a lot better on it. Also, the iphone 4 was popular in India before they discontinued it. It was the 3rd best selling phone there.
16. Reality_Check (Posts: 277; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
This is called dumping. Hope people realize that in India, if it is ever re-released.
18. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
These desperate moves won't work. Apple thinks Indians are fools. It isn't selling in any case.
27. nokia12 (Posts: 452; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
people here don't buy apple phones for specs or anything they buy for status value .. If they had released apple iPhone 3g here at 200$ even that would sell more than any other phone... apple is not cool here ..
apple is all about pride here...
sad but true story...
21. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Just replying to you so that everyone sees this.
Apple is not releasing the iPhone 4 at $250. That price will be the lowest price if you exchange your old phones from other OEMs.
To get iPhone 4 for that $250 price, you need to return mid-high end galaxies, xperias or Lumias.
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 18407; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This might not be a good move Big A. Since the 5C isn't selling as well in India, just drop the price. Better they move for less, than sit for more. This post is jedii approved.
9. stealthd (unregistered)
I don't think it'd really make sense for them to give one country a discount on the 5C to boost sales. Offering the 4 again seems to make more sense.
12. darkkjedii (Posts: 18407; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It does if sales are weak in the region though. I say push the C, cuz it'll run iOS 7 better, giving a more satisfying use experience.
3. frustyak (Posts: 201; Member since: 08 Mar 2010)
Can't wait to see what happens when millions of Indian iPhone 4 owners experience the Grip of Death.
4. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
The iPhone 4 was unveiled on June 7th 2010. It's now January 2014. If Motorola can make a quad core 720p phone with 16gig of storage and 1gig of ram for $199 in late 2013 why even bother with a phone that is almost 4 years old? Even the Nokia 521 outclasses that phone. It's like one step forward (iPhone 5s) and two steps back (iPhone 5c) but worst.
6. sprockkets (Posts: 1609; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Does a nokia 521 have a high res screen, with ff camera and flash?
But $250 is still ridiculous anyhow.
8. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I bought my 521 for $59. Now how does that $250 sound for a 4 year old phone?
15. sprockkets (Posts: 1609; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Cheapest I've seen for a 521 new is $99. The 520 is around what you quoted.
Oh, and if you want to know how it sounds, like read my post. DUH.
5. Bozzor (Posts: 167; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Here is my dumb suggestion: take the iPhone 4 to 1GB of RAM...
11. blingblingthing (Posts: 513; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
You killing their profit margin. Just get android. Simple.
7. aditya.k (Posts: 493; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Oh, Apple thinks we are stupid. Not good you bad fruit! You just can't sell a 4 year old phone at that price. Like always, India has become a dumping place for these companies!
13. mobi_user (Posts: 148; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
Michael H. do not put a racist statement. Have you ever tried to find out how many no contract iphones are bought by people of your country. Even in US there are not many customers for $650 phone.
At one side you write a country which is going to be second largest country for smartphone. On the other side you don't even make a sense of what you write.
Hope your editor reads this.
14. saiki4116 (Posts: 379; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
To the author of article, Please don't use a Country's National Flag like that..
25. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 171; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
People from India (almost one billion of them) care.
Side note: I'm not form India.
17. sudhiir.reddy (Posts: 30; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
Better option would be cutting the price or iphone 4s....
19. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Indians are Buying 521 instead of a useless 4 year old phone.
26. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 171; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
or Moto G if they prefer Android.
Moto G > 521 >>> iPhone 4.
20. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3690; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Nobody will buy or very less people will buy such re-release thing.
22. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 217; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
People who are stupid enough to buy this "dumped" phone probably deserve it. In India those who buy Apple logo just do it for the flaunt value. The sensible ones buy the much better options available with WP and Android OS.
24. Apoorvtheman (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Actually in India many people don't like big devices,iphone has been the best choice for those who want small device as it looks premium than other 3.5-4 inch phones that's why ip4 fits well
28. Avinash.Meeniga (Posts: 20; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
doesn't look like a good move as it would be damaging the image of apple as lot of 1st times would be buying this and with the performance issues of ios7 on iphone4 would cost them in future
29. aditya.g0110 (Posts: 42; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
here is the list of phones i can get for $250 in India.Apple thinks Indians are fools,but doesn't know how foolish it is.Why ppl would buy ip4 when they can get a smartphone with quad core processor,5 inches screen,1gb ram and 8mp camera under $250.
31. vidyadhar (Posts: 10; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Better good for you if you take down that picture Michael H. it hurts us =(
32. notoffended (Posts: 15; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
Until today i wasnt sure if the people here were so stupid as i thought or much more stupider than i couldaever imagined..
These people so ignorant and self esteemed, always bragging about their countries especially americans that they never could hv imagined that the rotten food 4 was already being sold as a used device in INDIA when they were yt to let go of its elder sibling..
People... Take notice of us INDIANS..
Our markets were selling the 5s n 5c even before it was available with your carrier network operators..
If you doubt it then better visit INDIA when the ipong 6 is released..
When u return to ur country at least u could brag to b the 1st owner of it there.