Apple makes purchase in bid to improve Apple Maps
0. phoneArena 22 Aug 2013, 16:37 posted on
Apple, looking to improve its Maps application, has purchased Silicon Valley start-up company Embark for an undisclosed amount; the company was founded two years ago and builds apps for the iOS and Android platforms that deal with public transit. Several Embark team members will be immediately integrated with the Apple Maps team...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
I'll keep GMaps, just in case
2. tedkord (Posts: 6054; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You've really made the right choice. Waze + GMaps = perfection.
12. AnTuTu (Posts: 1030; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
No one can compete with a Giant like Google.
Apple keep dreaming.
31. joey_sfb (Posts: 3728; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Hmm... What happen to Apple = pure innovation!?
Best mobile experience ever!!!
Mxyzptik I used to respect your Apple devotion! oh crap! now you are just a sore loser!!
33. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Apple Maps is still # 1 (useless) Map.
So be happy ... it's still #1 :)
24. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
i love waze even more. it was missing a great search engine and now that's happened
32. joey_sfb (Posts: 3728; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Apple Map is sub standard behind every possible online maps, be it Google map, Bing Map, Garmin map. Map that are not accurate cannot be called a map in the first place.
Only Apple fan can overlook this faults.
26. Sauce (unregistered)
Waze alone is the best. Google maps, from my experience is nothing compared to Waze. I hope google doesn't destroy it.
8. Altair (Posts: 363; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Actually Nokia HERE maps is better in many cases.
17. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
No one uses Nokia maps nowadays! Except Nokia users!
Like wise I think it's the same.
4. Atlas (Posts: 158; Member since: 15 Apr 2012)
Apple maps will never be anywhere as good as Google maps.
9. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 781; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
It took google 8 years to make google maps as good as they are today(first lunched 2005). So dont judge a one year old map app. Apple made a map and improved it a lot in a year. You think its wise saying what you said when they just started the app?
21. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
so when apple releases a predone app and calls it a finished product you applaud them for giving a good try. that right there is not good business.
apple made a major blunder by releasing a product that wasn't fully implemented. the only reason it hasn't completely bombed is because apple users tend to be blindly loyal
36. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Google does it every year and calls it Android.
34. Atlas (Posts: 158; Member since: 15 Apr 2012)
Yes, but I'm saying it won't be up to the standard of Gmaps for a long while. When Apple maps will be the same as Gmaps, Gmaps will be implanted into your eye or something.
5. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1557; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Won't make any difference after how much Apple Maps trolled the users.
19. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Like this time it will make you end up 100 meters away from your destination
6. vandroid (Posts: 321; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
I'm sticking with google maps because apple maps is too unreliable, I made the wrong turns af it made my journey home longer than it should've been
7. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Almost seems like they're admitting they can't pull off a mapping application on their own.
10. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 781; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Of course they cant. Very few companies have done it so far and it took them almost or over a decade to achieve that. Google, nokia, etc. You need lots of satelite data, experts and time to make it good. Give apple 2-3 more years and apple maps will be good.
11. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
It will eventually, but many will remember how it was rolled out, with expectations set way too high. Add to that how they replaced Google maps only to later recommend users go that route when their own was flawed in numerous ways. Google on the other hand has a fleet of cars constantly improving theirs with street views, and even planes taking images to help their 3D portions. I don't see Apple giving their maps that much dedication, and the results show the differences.
14. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1410; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Yeah, 8 years in, GMaps is almost flawless...except it still lacks some features of Apple Maps and the 3D implementation on desktop was as much of a joke as Apple's mobile 3D launch, with no mobile 3D in sight for Google. 12 months versus 8 years, and look who is getting better faster. That is the problem for Google.
18. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Apple bought their 3D, Google developed there's.
No mapping application was as much of a joke as Apple's launch.
22. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
apple will make it good by buying out there problem, and using experts to fix something that is broken
23. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
nokia maps is pretty legit but i dont understand how there's no settings to turn off geocaching
28. AfterShock (Posts: 3697; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Driving a wrecker for a living, I encourage iPhone folk to stay loyal.
30. bucky (Posts: 1642; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I have never had any issues at with apple maps. Google is still king here but apple maps uses less battery, many times its been more accurate and provided faster routes. Needs improvement with poi though.
37. rallyguy (Posts: 605; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
Wow, and I read an article today by Michael H. who says Android is always playing catch up to Apple. Hmm. How is Google trying to catch up to Apple in mapping?