Apple job offering suggests 30-pin connector is indeed getting replaced
0. phoneArena 31 May 2012, 09:02 posted on
Apparently, Apple is in need of a "Connector Design Engineer", judging by a job offer that is currently posted on its web page. In particular, "The Connector Design Engineer will be responsible for managing multiple connector designs and developments in support of the iPod product lines." Is a new connector to be introduced with the new iPhone?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Yet another example of doubling down on secrecy....
3. dickwyn (Posts: 621; Member since: 07 May 2012)
this is super open and very straight forward message to us
10. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Is this your new auto troll message?
4. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
It is my understanding that Europe has enforced a standard for micro-USB for cell phones. Apple has agreed to this standard as far as I understand also. Now, Apple could/may get away with it via a Apple-to-MicroUSB adapter too if Apple insists on a custom adapter.
14. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
The Fcc past a similar law in USa about using micro usb adapters for all cell devices saying that having all the diferent charges is just adding to our land fills. Thats why you see everyone using micro now and and whenever apple releases a new device they pay a fine for not using the right plugs. they dont care since they over charge for home and car charges to begin with now being they need that for there phones they make it up in the end
5. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
hmm, heres a design, why doesnt apple just go with the way of the world and use the same USB everyone else does?
6. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3928; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
My thoughts exactly. Everyone else has gone to this, even Samsung after a few phones popped up with their oddball 30+ pin connector when everyone else had gone to micro USB connectors. A couple of HTC phones (Droid Incredible & Rezound) have a modified micro USB, but they work with standard cables. If they did something like that there wouldn't be an issue. You could charge or transfer data with a standard cable, and then have a cable with a modified end that would allow you to output video like the HTC phones do. It would be nice if you didn't have your OEM cable with and could use any standard micro USB cable to charge your phone or transfer data, those cables are everywhere (computers, media players, regular & smartphones, etc.).
11. guosheng (Posts: 9; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Well, it's dead simple: Apple cable $24.99, Standard cable $2.
7. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
i would like to see a micro-USB and and hdmi out on the next iphone. a lot of newer phones have both.
8. Eraser112 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 May 2012)
The iPod Nano has a 30-pin Connector, I think you mean the iPod Shuffle - that´s the one that hasen´t one.
9. ApphoIe (banned) (Posts: 78; Member since: 31 May 2012)
LMAO at the people whose houses are decked out with sh*t to connect their iphone to. Looks like they won the apple game, and have to buy all new istuff to connect their new, slightly improved iphone to. Hilarious!
12. stealthd (unregistered)
I guess anyone who bought anything before micro USB was a moron then?
13. T12RYK (Posts: 98; Member since: 10 Jun 2011)
If they do make it smaller they had better include some sort of adaptor to make it work with older docks and not make it a separate accessory for £30!
16. BattleBrat (Posts: 1432; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Didnt some Walkman phones come with a WM port connector?
17. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I'd prefer MICRO USB over THE DOCKING any day.