Apple is now the biggest chip buyer in the world, beating Samsung
1. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4628; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
That is because Apple doesn't make their own chips. Samsung on the other hand makes their own chips so naturally their demand would not be as great as Apple's.
3. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
But by that logic, Samsung shouldn't be spending anything on chips instead of the reported 16.7 billion...which is relatively close to what Apple spend on chips. Samsung may make their own chips, but it doesn't get to do so for free.
10. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4628; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Samsung STILL sells many feature phones, so those they go & buy. Also they only make their top-end Exynos for themselves. Samsung makes other products not just mobile phones, so they may need to buy chips for those products as well. (TV's, Computers, Appliances, so on and so forth.)
If Samsung didn't make their own chips, you can bet their demand for chips would be higher than Apple’s.
Samsung has so many products that they need to buy chips because they couldn’t possibly make all the chips for not only all their products but also all iPhones, & iPads! It’s just too much!
6. TKFox007 (Posts: 303; Member since: 02 Nov 2010)
Apple designed the chip, Samsung manufactures it
8. jgcaap (Posts: 38; Member since: 22 Feb 2011)
Untrue... Iphone 4 had a Samsung Chip made by samsung. They only designed the software wich operates with that chip.
9. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the chip the A4/A5 chips are samsung chips with very minor modifications and a different GPU. it is the Hummingbird/Exynos with a different name.
just because samsung manufactures much of their chips doesnt mean they manufacture all of them. they have a much wider base of chip needs than apple does. phones, computers, tvs, electronics, appliances, construction, ships, vehicle supplies. Maybe apple ordered more than Samsung Electronics, but not all of Samsung. Dont get the 2 confused.
7. TKFox007 (Posts: 303; Member since: 02 Nov 2010)
Exactly, why would Samsung buy chips when they can make their own? Also isn't Samsung one of the biggest component manufacturers in the world?
13. stealthd (Posts: 1060; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
The article referred to SPENDING. Just because Samsung makes some of their own chips doesn't mean they get them for free. Usually departments inside a single company will sell their parts and services to other departments just like if they were selling them to another company.
4. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
is there a Trophy or grand prize or whatever for being the biggest chip buyer in the world? are you even gonna be in the Guinness book?
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7005; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
How can they be the biggest buyer when all their chips is SAMSUNG MADE
15. ghost__uwi (Posts: 175; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)
probably cause they BUY it and samsung makes it :P
12. btbotimtim (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
When Nvidia first introduced dual-core tegra 2, Samsung ordered a lot of them. But now, I don't know where Sammy used those chips.
14. Dr.Phil (Posts: 982; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
They used them in their tablets. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a Tegra 2 chip, or at least it did (I don't know off the top of my head if they finally put in their Exynos).