Apple in negotiations to buy Beats Audio for $3.2 billion?
0. phoneArena 08 May 2014, 18:19 posted on
Apple is in negotiations to buy Beats Audio for $3.2 billion, according to rumors circulating on Thursday afternoon. The deal could be announced as soon as next week. If announced, it would be the largest acquisition ever by Apple. The maker of premium headphones recently started a streaming music service that competes with Apple's own iTunes Radio...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
97. sgodsell (Posts: 2571; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Now we know why Beats took back all the beats stuff from HTC and bought back 265 million dollars off of HTC recently. They knew they were going to sell to Apple. How good would it be if the competition was also using beats on their phones.
98. sgodsell (Posts: 2571; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
I should have said beats bought back all the shares that HTC bought from beats originally. Which was only a few months ago. I think they beats was in talks with Apple at that time and knew that they were going to strike a deal.
49. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Wth lmfao what a name and avatar
81. Nexus_bear (Posts: 32; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
I Agree!!! I will sell my Mixrs and Pro head phones both!!! no!!!
84. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Why not? Both are overhyped and overpriced POS.
94. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Yeah, I'd have to agree to be honest. Beats Audio must've been worth that 1 billion due to branding sales, because their products really aren't above any of the others...
2. shead202 (Posts: 50; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
HTC actually invested 300 million and made 415 million in return. I don't like Beats personally but I think it's a great deal for Apple. It's like the rich gets richer with this type of deal.
3. sipha (Posts: 411; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Dr Dre may finaly pass JayZ and P.daddy's net worth with this..
74. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
very very sad and he will be broke. 300$ could help pay bills and lots of other stuff.
42. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
That's the problem; their going to take your money.
5. StanleyG88 (Posts: 189; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
Typical Apple, why compete when we can just buy the competition.
7. Ninetysix (Posts: 2015; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
9. Sauce (unregistered)
Ninety, take it easy! Don't smack this ignorant fool around that hard lol.
He'll call his anti-Apple crowd on you. Matter-a-fact, I think he already did.
11. Ninetysix (Posts: 2015; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
No worries..it's wiki so it must be fake :)
15. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Difference: Google typically buys for technologies.
Apple is buying a brand. Beats headphones are not particularly good from an audio standpoint. They have a big name and solid industrial design. Incidentally, Apple has both of those things on their own. Apple could crush Beats if they really wanted to do so.
18. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1175; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Oh and google bought NEST for the technologies? They could also crush them if they wanted. Dude you should all relax and stop crying over every apple related news. All big tech companies buy smaller ones, For their own reasons. And you and me have no idea what exact those reasons are and probably never will.
30. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Well over 90% of tech buyouts is to give the smaller company an exit strategy so the giant VC/investment bank machine keeps running.
This is likely the case with Apple/Beats as well.
40. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1723; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Call me when they have three semiconductor firms in the fold designing the best mobile processor on the planet.
39. kryme (Posts: 287; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
lol that was harsh..... tho i get ur point..... but google is buying start ups.... apple buying company to avoid competition..... youtube waze android there were all start ups... beats audio could bring the heat to apple and they dont want that.... hope u r smart enough to understand the difference.... both campany buy start ups but apple buying beats is just to kill competition
41. Ninetysix (Posts: 2015; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
sorry..got something stuck in my throat..
55. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Funny you mentioned Waze, I think you should look it up again. Waze was competition.
64. Sauce (unregistered)
Google is buying start ups….because? You didn't finish your reason why they buy. Waze was a HUGE threat to Google, which is why Google bought them.
Beats makes more money than BEATS does ONLY selling their ear pods LOL.
P.S. There is no competition involved between Beats and Apple lol….
72. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
"The maker of premium headphones recently started a streaming music service that competes with Apple's own iTunes Radio."
Don't really know, just reading the article.
90. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
I really don't believe that I'm reading people saying that Google bougths were right ans apples not...
45. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Except they're not competitors. iTunes Radio and Beats music service aren't the same kind of service.
6. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Both Apple and Beats are overrated and a hype company
8. Lt.Green (Posts: 397; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Agreed, It's no different from any equalizer available in the Play Store.
10. Sauce (unregistered)
BRB, going to go buy said equalizers in play store and wrap em' around my head!
63. engineer-1701d (Posts: 2536; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Sauce if u get skull candy its the same sound I have a $300 set of beats studio and Dolby ime2 ear phones and A pair of skull candy I love my music but skull and beats same my Dolby is best got them after my beats in ear failed. Wrap that around your head
65. Sauce (unregistered)
Engineer, I have never owned a *good* pair of Skullcandy headphones (just the ear pods you buy at retail stores), but I use SoL Republics. They're amazing. The physical build quality and the audio quality combined is phenomenal.
96. DnB925Art (Posts: 650; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Now THIS I agree with you. SOL Republic > Beats. I have both the Tracks HD and Master Tracks XC. The Master Tracks XC are some of the best headphones I have owned, studio quality with excellent soundstage and accurate mids/highs with appropriate bass levels.
75. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I prefer BOSE OVER BEATS. Crisp clearity.
91. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
I don't have it, but a lot o people say that bang & olufsen are great
12. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
Another reason to stay away from Apple
26. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
And to stay away from iBEATS.
28. Ninetysix (Posts: 2015; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Should have named yourself NspectorGadget80. You probably have nightmares at night because of that "i" in your name. Sorry broski.
36. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
You should become the ROYALLY to Apple
76. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
oh yeah thanks for reminding me. and beside it's a old cartoon. think i should change to NspectorGadget "it's all cool bro".
93. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
careful, because apple can sue you because of your iname... lol
14. Planterz (Posts: 1696; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
The tech behind Beats is worthless. Only the name has value, and only because people are gullible enough to believe it.
77. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
and a lot of teens this generation don't realize who is Dr. Dre. DR DRE co founder and member of NWA along with EASY E ICE CUBE & MC Ren. Then move to DEATH ROW RECORDS as producer/rapper.
17. chebner (Posts: 172; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Beats certainly aren't my first choice for headphones, but they're certainly better than the crap earbuds that come with iPhones (and 90+% of all other phones too). Maybe with better headphones iPhans will realize how CRAPPY their iTunes music sounds, and hopefully demand better.
20. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1175; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
I agree with you. Maybe they want to buy them so they can provide better quality headphones with iphones. Or maybe they wanted a big brand name in headphones industry that they can control for their own reasons. Dont forget beats have many patents around sound so that might be a good reason.
22. StanleyG88 (Posts: 189; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
If they just wanted a Brand Name, they could have put iFones on any crap headFones and their Lemming followers would have eaten them up.
19. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
One overrated company trying to buy another overrated company. Nice...
23. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Beats? Hype, nonsense and lies for $3.2B? All this represents is really expensive really effective way to dilute the brand value of Apple.
What an epic fail. This acquisition must have been pushed on them by the bankers.