Apple iPhone 6 to feature NFC connectivity and wireless charging
0. phoneArena 06 Jun 2014, 19:44 posted on
A source close to the Apple iPhone 6 says that the device is going to have NFC connectivity when launched. In addition, the iPhone 6 will offer wireless charging, improved antennas and a larger screen. The NFC connectivity will allow the iPhone to be used for mobile payments. Apple could join the Isis mobile payments system co-owned by Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ThePython (Posts: 257; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Brace yourselves. "Apple is a copycat" posts are coming.
2. express77 (unregistered)
I would say, "Be ready to pay 100$s more."
35. sgodsell (Posts: 1222; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
They had to put NFC in there smart phones, considering they are the only smartphone OEM left who didn't offer NFC.
I also heard rumors of 2gb of ram.
55. Finalflash (Posts: 1736; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
They aren't, these are just rumors based on nothing but dreams. Any NFC in the phone would have apis or mention of some kind in the iOS 8 (and people are already sifting through that). Until that comes out there is no NFC most likely. Wireless charging is kind of garbage right now so that really doesn't matter anyway. Until they get true wireless charging like A4WP style stuff, there is no need to have any wireless charging at all. Plus I don't think Qi works through metal so that's out.
64. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Any NFC in the phone would have apis or mention of some kind in the iOS 8..."
111. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6429; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I smell a infc lawsuit in the near future.
14. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Brace yourselves when you hear the price of both model iPhones....
32. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 380; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
Brace yourselves when you hear for how much you can sell your used iPhone.
42. darkkjedii (Posts: 11202; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well said, some fandroids don't realize iPhones are the most valuable phones, and have the highest resale value. #14 is notorious for his lack of knowledge.
50. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
There are more iPhones being sold second hand than Galaxies and Xperias combined. Guess who made the wrong decision to buy a useless phone?
56. Finalflash (Posts: 1736; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Guess who made the wrong decision??? The people trying to sell their phone, which you claim is the iPhone mainly. Really though I can understand where you are coming from. It is really important to be able to sell that iPhone once you have it because that is all you will want to do after using it. Then you can buy a cheaper second hand Galaxy or Xperia....and not resell it.
69. Sauce (unregistered)
Every time a new iPhone comes out, I sell my current one for X amount and use that money to buy a new phone, only spending 100 bucks out of my own pocket.
72. darkkjedii (Posts: 11202; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude, no matter what you say, these simple close minded fandroids will counter it for arguments sake. It is known worldwide, on all 3rd party sites, and stores that iPhones are more valuable, and have higher resale/trade in value. When I got my 5s, AT&T was gonna let me trade in my 5 for $336, but I sold it on Craigslist for $420. Coulda got $450, but someone had cash rite on the spot. They know what phones are the most valuable, and can simply google it, but would rather argue than face fact. Piss these fools off Sauce, they deserve to be poked and prodded.
107. Finalflash (Posts: 1736; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Well yea, antiques have quite a bit of value. For about $200 dollars plus your old antique iPhone 5, you can get the cutting edge of 2010 (iPhone 5s). This year though is the real treat, you can actually get to the cutting edge features of 2012 for only $200 plus your iPhone 5s.
89. Arte-8800 (Posts: 4281; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
IPhones hold values due to Apple with their egoistic
When carriers and shop outlets sells iPhone no one makes profit except Apple greedy slums make over 200% profit
Never herd of a tech company making billions of profit selling overpriced POS subpar mediocre feature phone device along with it's halfbaked platform till io7 copying Android, and know fully ripped of from KitKats features
Wtf holy Christmas Apple just milked out millions in profit just by cracked screen, holy moly cow made millions milking iZombies just for cracked screen. Lmfao dimwits
113. quakan (Posts: 1179; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
In order to resell a device it means there is a high second-hand demand for it. That strong demand translates to high resale value. Galaxies do alright in the second-hand market, but Xperias...well I'm sure you can turn it into a recycling program or find a nice drawer to put it in.
53. techperson211 (Posts: 608; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Maybe in your country apple is worship as a god. But here in Asia we don't care if it has an apple logo. All the choices are here . All smartphones not to mentioned smart buyers .
76. AfterShock (Posts: 2800; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
We'll see how they hold up once a bigger screened version is out.
I suspect they lose value faster then previous models did.
52. techperson211 (Posts: 608; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
$850 for 16gb and $950 for 32gb and the only thing they add is NFC and .7 inch of screen and a wireless charging . Wow so revolutionary. Wow so apple.
124. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 186; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
EXACTLY. NFC, Wireless charging, 4.7 & 5.5 Inch Screens: Great specs on LAST year's Android Flagship phones that are still Great; but Android phones that you can buy now for about $300... AND the iCHUMPS are drooling for the chance to be "wallet-raped" for these SAME specs for $900+...
20. jroc74 (Posts: 4731; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
No, you meant to say
29. vincelongman (Posts: 1150; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Wireless charging on iPhone?
Qi wireless charging is incompatible with metal phones
So brace ourselves for plastic iPhone 6?
49. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Who said theyll be using Qi? Of course they'll be using their own
65. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
LOL! Do you know any other inductive wireless charging?
116. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2169; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
You are clearly not aware that there are many wireless charging standards. Qi does not stand alone.
120. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
True! And that's why I didn't asked him if he knows any other standard. I was talking about principle using which electromagnetic power is transferred.
59. muhsen (Posts: 258; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
Lumia 930 and 925 r metal phones and have Qi wireless charging.
60. vincelongman (Posts: 1150; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
The 930 and 925 both have plastic backs, so that's why they are compatible
3. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2980; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I hear when the Apple iPhone 6 is charging, it will hover a small distance over the charging pad and a soft white light will illuminate the area below the phone.
When it's done charging, the iPhone will make a cute little "landing" sound, like a small spaceship in a cartoon, gently settle down on the charging pad, and then turn the hover/charge light off.
47. darkkjedii (Posts: 11202; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No you didn't, you heard its gonna break sales records, and sellout everywhere. You'll come to PA to whine, nag, and b***h as usual! cuz you can't stand to see people enjoy their purchase.
54. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 762; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Why do you even bother replying to those guys? They will never learn and keep on trolling. I know you are a big Apple fan but also into other brands. Unbiased? Relatively speaking, but who cares. I like all this tech related stuff too and love my Android. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate new stuff coming out from Apple or Nokia.
63. darkkjedii (Posts: 11202; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I feel you RWaC, sometimes I gotta check em man. As unbiased as you are, even you jab these fools form time to time. +1
6. Heatfan316 (Posts: 415; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
1704 x 960 Really!? Lmao! Sorry but that's a complete joke.
8. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1195; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I still remember when Apple had that class leading "Rentina" display when the iPhone 4 came out. If true 1704 x 960 would be a downgrade from my Note 3.
16. stealthd (Posts: 956; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
How is it a complete joke? So it's not the biggest number out there. Big deal. It's still a hi-res display, and you're not losing battery life/processing power to pump out pixels you can't see.
33. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Poor excuses! And it is already proven that difference is noticeable.
34. jroc74 (Posts: 4731; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Wait a minute....this sounds totally different vs when the iPhone 4 came out.
Or make that this sounds very similar to when Win Mo and Android had higher screen res than the orig iPhone, 3G, 3GS.
Just saying....not saying you said those things but posts in general claimed the screen res of the iPhone 4 was sooo much better than anything else out.
58. Heatfan316 (Posts: 415; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
You didn't get what I meant bro, it's still a very high resolution 416 ppi more than enough, but is also an unusual one, no video support at all! 720p or 1080p that is what is needed. Just saying.
10. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
NFC connectivity + wireless charging? Looks like this time iPhone will be plastic!
13. stealthd (Posts: 956; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
I guess you've never heard of metal phones like the HTC One M7/M8 having NFC
24. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Yes I know that HTC One (M7/M8) has NFC. But I also know that NFC works over electromagnetic induction and that metal interfere with it. Metal casing is like a shield which reduces performance of NFC. Of course this problem is solved but it is much easier to integrate NFC into plastic body than into metal body.
But what about metal body and wireless charging???
12. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Wow, they may finally have NFC or is that iNFC?
17. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Damn, and then they are doing away with the headphone jack....
18. Diezparda (Posts: 208; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
NFC was nice feature, i couldn't imagine why Apple fans said they wouldn't need it because they had airdrop
21. _X.ET (Posts: 18; Member since: 05 Jun 2014)
because they think iphone is the best than any other phones...although it doesn't have any function..
27. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"i couldn't imagine why Apple fans said they wouldn't need it..."
Because majority of them are just buthurt that other smartphones has NFC while iPhone doesn't and that's why they pretend that they don't care about it at least until NFC comes to iPhone.
19. _X.ET (Posts: 18; Member since: 05 Jun 2014)
weird...so many phones have these functions....
it means apple will more and more ordinary?
and why someone always compare apple with other expensive phones ?
iphone means fantastic and easy-to-use ,it's it? i say no...
iphone is a phone ... it's fantastic previously , but sometimes ,it's a copycat.
30. psychox911 (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 May 2014)
Help me to name a word greater than innovative and that's gonna answer your question :)
25. Federated (Posts: 231; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
Welcome to 2010, Apple. I'm so happy for them. They finally innovate.
46. darkkjedii (Posts: 11202; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Why do you say dumb stuff like this? I bet Apples bank acct isn't so 2010. It's more like 3010, stop hating dude. This stuff you spout affects no one man.
68. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
What Apple's bank account has to do with Federated's comment since Federated is talking about the tech?
28. gustavoace (Posts: 95; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
This news NEVER gets old to PhoneArena!
41. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2003; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Didn't Federaghi at last year's MWC say that no need to "bump" your phone with other phones nearby when they were introducing Air Drop?
51. SIGPRO (Posts: 444; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Haha mark my words, apple will claim we are the first ones to introduce wireless charging in a phone. And people will believe it hahaha.
87. darkkjedii (Posts: 11202; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude shut up, that's not funny. Hahaha my a$$